Itchy skin and in a care home

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
If your loved one is persistently itchy and in a care home or has recently been in hospital, please learn from my experience and consider scabies.

My dad has had itchy skin since August. He has seen his GP regularly and scabies was discounted early on because he apparently wasn’t showing classic signs. With things getting worse, I took him to a private dermatologist who diagnosed scabies and prescribed treatment cream. The care home was not willing to accept this diagnosis and was not prepared to treat other residents who may have been considered close contacts. I carried out Dads treatment myself.

Six weeks after treatment the dermatologist found that he had been reinfected. I contacted the GP and as well as ensuring my Dad received proper treatment, I asked him to consider close contacts. He discovered that another resident I had been concerned about frequently going into my dad’s room also had scabies. They were the likely source of reinfection. He has suffered for months and we are only now getting some action that might make a difference.

There is new government guidance on management of scabies in care homes that anyone concerned about this issue should familiarise themselves with. Scabies may present differently in people with dementia and they may even be asymptomatic but still infectious. My father has seen lots of health staff in recent months and not one of them has recognised scabies other than the dermatologist.

Lessons I have learned:
If scabies is discounted. get a second opinion.
If the care home minimises your concerns, keep going.
Your local Health Protection Agency will be able to advise you.
Don’t let the care home speak to the doctor in your behalf, speak to them yourself.

I don’t want anyone else to go through what my dad has been going through and hope this post will make a difference to someone somewhere.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Your poor dad. Thank goodness he had you to advocate on his behalf.
The Care home have no excuse, full guidance is available.
Your post is very welcome reminder of this horrible condition.

I know I risk sounding like ‘ weasell who has an opinion on everything’ ! But here is my opinion anyway.
There are certain groups of people who can get distressed at the treatment. Children, learning disabilities and people with dementia.
when people get upset then tears come out of their eyes and they use their hands to wipe them away.
People applying the treatment notice this and ‘ go easy ‘ with the treatment on the hands as they don’t want to deal with the consequences of it getting into the eyes.
where is a favourite place for the scabies beetle? Between the fingers? So it is possible to be ‘fully treated’ and then become reinfected.
Just something to think about if ever you become involved with the application of the cream.
The thought of someone with dementia never getting a correct diagnosis is heartbreaking.

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
Thank you. Top tip. My Dad didn’t mind his treatment too much and I did it for him. I think the hands are a key area to be careful about though and I was worried about my dad washing his hands if he got up to go to the toilet in the night. I asked the care home staff to look out for this and reapply the cream to his hands if this happened. I’m not convinced they followed that up though. This time I’ve pushed for him to have Ivermectin via an oral route to eliminate any doubt around correct application. The dermatologist who I saw privately prescribed it but said that it isn’t an approved treatment in the NHS because it is more expensive. Given the difficulties with applying cream to every nook and cranny, including private parts, the intrusiveness and the potential loss of dignity, I think everyone should have that option available to them ideally. It’s been a real learning experience.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Thank you. Top tip. My Dad didn’t mind his treatment too much and I did it for him. I think the hands are a key area to be careful about though and I was worried about my dad washing his hands if he got up to go to the toilet in the night. I asked the care home staff to look out for this and reapply the cream to his hands if this happened. I’m not convinced they followed that up though. This time I’ve pushed for him to have Ivermectin via an oral route to eliminate any doubt around correct application. The dermatologist who I saw privately prescribed it but said that it isn’t an approved treatment in the NHS because it is more expensive. Given the difficulties with applying cream to every nook and cranny, including private parts, the intrusiveness and the potential loss of dignity, I think everyone should have that option available to them ideally. It’s been a real learning experience.
You are exactly right.
When someone with dementia exhibits sudden unusual strange behaviour I always think the first thing we should think of is a UTI.
When someone has extreme itching , which comes on suddenly I think scabies should be one of the first thoughts. Why do people seem happy to spend weeks and weeks wondering if it’s the Persil ?
Once again well done for raising the subject.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
thankyou @Bettusboo, I think both scabies and MRSA are under diagnosed in care facilities. The homes certainly do not want these diagnoses as all contacts are supposed to be treated at the same time ( which includes staff)and that is obviously a problem for them.

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
The care home actively denied that he was even itching as well as refusing the diagnosis of a qualified dermatologist. I think it was too much trouble for them to face up to.

BeHappy

Jan 13, 2023
Glad that your dad was diagnosed and got the proper treatment. This should be addressed or atleast every facitity should educate all the patients, staff, and or employees to avoid this occurrence. If an outbreak occurs, the facility should immediately notify the local health department for assistance in resolving the matter instead of denying the issue. Not only about scabies but any other skin infections/conditions like candidiasis, erysipelas, lyme disease, and many more.

Bettusboo

Aug 30, 2020
Glad that your dad was diagnosed and got the proper treatment. This should be addressed or atleast every facitity should educate all the patients, staff, and or employees to avoid this occurrence. If an outbreak occurs, the facility should immediately notify the local health department for assistance in resolving the matter instead of denying the issue. Not only about scabies but any other skin infections/conditions like candidiasis, erysipelas, lyme disease, and many more.
Thank you and I agree. Unfortunately the Health Protection Team was ineffective because the care home did not admit to there being a problem.

Recent Threads

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicky Liverpool