It’s crazy how a UTI can cause such carnage!

MowgliGirl02

Feb 20, 2022
Hey all.
Mum hasn’t been well since before the New Year. It started with a kidney stone, and water infection. Which Hospitalised her for a few days. When she was discharged (which I think was way too soon) she came home a different woman.
I knew that the second she was diagnosed with mixed dementia what the outcome would be, I’m not stupid and I expect it.
I also knew that any change however small makes a big impact on someone with dementia.
In the ten weeks she’s been home she’s stopped eating, lost weight, become more confused than normal and become bed bound. She’s also had another two water infections. She’s gone six years with just memory loss and nothing more.
Then two days ago she began to deteriorate again. She seemed unable to sleep, talked to people we couldn’t see, used the quilt of her bed like she was knitting and stopped drinking what little I got inside her.
Last Night when I did her night routine I found her worse than I’ve ever seen her. She didn’t know who I was, her breathing was shallow, she couldn’t talk, only groan and was so agitated it scared me.
I called 999.
She was rushed into Resuscitation in A and E on blue flashing lights.
She’s now been diagnosed with a severe water infection and dehydration.
My point is, it’s so unbelievable to me, how a water infection can take the life of someone with dementia and turn it on its head in a split second. It knocks them down, and takes a little bit more of them away from you.
Watch your loved one closely, read up on UTI’s and know the signs. It’s important.
Hopefully my best friend, my confident, my mum comes back to me, even if it’s just a little bit.
Love to all. ❤️

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hey all.
Mum hasn’t been well since before the New Year. It started with a kidney stone, and water infection. Which Hospitalised her for a few days. When she was discharged (which I think was way too soon) she came home a different woman.
I knew that the second she was diagnosed with mixed dementia what the outcome would be, I’m not stupid and I expect it.
I also knew that any change however small makes a big impact on someone with dementia.
In the ten weeks she’s been home she’s stopped eating, lost weight, become more confused than normal and become bed bound. She’s also had another two water infections. She’s gone six years with just memory loss and nothing more.
Then two days ago she began to deteriorate again. She seemed unable to sleep, talked to people we couldn’t see, used the quilt of her bed like she was knitting and stopped drinking what little I got inside her.
Last Night when I did her night routine I found her worse than I’ve ever seen her. She didn’t know who I was, her breathing was shallow, she couldn’t talk, only groan and was so agitated it scared me.
I called 999.
My point is, it’s so unbelievable to me, how a water infection can take the life of someone with dementia and turn it on its head in a split second. It knocks them down, and takes a little bit more of them away from you.
Watch your loved one closely, read up on UTI’s and know the signs. It’s important.
Hopefully my best friend, my confident, my mum comes back to me, even if it’s just a little bit.
Love to all. ❤️
Oh dear @MowgliGirl02 It is one of the things that all carers of people with dementia dread, it really does have such an effect on our loved ones. Wishing you strength at this difficult time and i hope that your mum makes a good recovery.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @MowgliGirl02

Yes, infections - but especially UTIs - do horrible things to people with dementia
Im sorry your mum is going through this
((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Been there got the p-shirt and I don't mean t-shirt and it does seem to be something that affects women more than men.
Back in my days as an NHS nurse I was always taught wipe from the front to the back, not back to front.

Hopes this helps. K

Springflowers123

Mar 2, 2023
Hey all.
I called 999.
Love to all. ❤️

Thinking of you, my dad had several UTI’s, one eventually caused delirium and left him hospitalised for several weeks, it was terrifying. My dad was ‘normal’ 2 weeks prior with some memory concerns, several months later we got the Alzheimer’s diagnosis but the UTI and delirium progressed his symptoms, he did regain some independence but has had carers helping since. I hope you see some improvement in your mum as the infections are treated and I am sending you a hug if you’d like one. It’s so tough.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Infections can also have a dramatic deleterious effect on older people who don't have a diagnosis of dementia or any cognitive problems. I've personally known of two cases. It's commonly UTIs.

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
I had an aunt with no dementia diagnosis but my word, the changes in behaviour was unreal - she asked a male nurse if he was Indian and he said yes is that ok, oh yes no problem, then when he leant over to take her blood pressure she got hold of him by the neck and took two of us to get her off! Then all the dead babies brought in at night and out under beds. All due to a UTI.