Issues on a specific day

DB

Feb 24, 2024
Ashford, kent
Does anyone have issues with someone with dementia on 1 specific day ?
Seems every friday night i have an issue : sundowning, falling asleep downstsirs and refusing to go to bed

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Is there possibly a trigger @DB that you can work out? Something must be changing if the behaviour is only on the same one night a week.

Is there a television programme which might be responsible for the change?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome DB, can I ask if alcohol is involved. Don't want to be judgemental just asking, friday night is the start of the weekend. K

DB

Feb 24, 2024
Ashford, kent
Is there possibly a trigger @DB that you can work out? Something must be changing if the behaviour is only on the same one night a week.

Is there a television programme which might be responsible for the change?
@Grannie G thought it might be doing the ironing on a friday evening. Didnt do it today, not as strong behavioural change but still happened
Still watches pretty much same tv as before each day. There are some programmes in general she used to watch during week but wont now.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
thought it might be doing the ironing on a friday evening. Didnt do it today, not as strong behavioural change but still happened

Might it be attention seeking if you are preoccupied with the ironing?

DB

Feb 24, 2024
Ashford, kent
@Grannie G thought that or guilt, so didnt do it today and do it sunday when she is at church. However, there was still a change
I have a name for fridays at moment which probably cant post on here🙂

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @DB

Does she do anything extra on Thursday? OH and I will be going to his monthly Sunday Roast club tomorrow and I know that on Monday he is going to be tired and awful. I will willing pay the price though so I dont have to cook and get some social time.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hi @DB

Does she do anything extra on Thursday? OH and I will be going to his monthly Sunday Roast club tomorrow and I know that on Monday he is going to be tired and awful. I will willing pay the price though so I dont have to cook and get some social time.
I think possibly you are sending out little signals that it is Friday and with the weekend coming up, she knows something is happening but can’t understand what.

I had a little dog that could read my behaviour like a book. If I was going out for groceries, it was different to when I was going out for dinner. And her behaviour changed accordingly as she was never bothered if she knew I was only going to be gone for a short time but if she knew I was going out for some hours, she would get her favourite toy, snuggle up in her basket and wait for her doggy chew. She was perfectly able to read the signs correctly.

It maybe that she is reading signals from you, just little things that happen on a Friday that don’t happen other days. We know that changes in routine can be very unsettling for a person with dementia and she just may no be able to interpret correctly what is happening.

DB

Feb 24, 2024
Ashford, kent
Hi @DB

@canary doesnt really do anything on s a Thursday
Sleeping on it wondering as i wfh whether it is because friday is end of working week. I keep the same pattern mon - fri calls in morning & being near and no calls in afternoons.