Is there anything else we’re entitled to for help with caring for my mum with dementia

GW50

Sep 13, 2022
My mum gets the higher rate of attendance allowance of £92.40, I’ve looked in to getting pension credit for my father but he’s not entitled to it presumably because he gets a decent private pension.
I’ve since gone part time to help care for my mum with my dad (losing £800 a month, I’m not entitled to a carers allowance as I earn £200 a week) is there anything else we’re entitled to claim as mum is now needing round the clock care & supervision.
Dad doesn’t really want to get carers coming in to help at this moment in time and we don’t really want to put her in a home.
Just wondering if we’re claiming everything we can.

Last edited:

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Dad doesn’t really want to get carers coming in to help at this moment in time and we don’t really want to put her home
You are ruling out what are realistically the only 2 options! No, your dad may not want carers coming in but your mum needs 24 hour care, so how can you/he possibly cope?

I'd suggest you work on your dad and get him to accept some help with your mum.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
is there anything else we’re entitled to claim as mum is now needing round the clock care & supervision.
I think th only thing you have not mentioned is Council Tax exemption.
Assuming that its just your parents living in the house then they would get 25% reduction.
Im afraid that if you are living there too, then there wouldnt be any reduction.

Not many people want carers coming in, but 24/7 caring takes its toll on your health. It is by no means uncommon for 24/7 carers to suffer a stroke or heart attack. Please try and persuade your dad to accept help.

GW50

Sep 13, 2022
I think the only thing you have not mentioned is Council Tax exemption.
Assuming that its just your parents living in the house then they would get 25% reduction.
Im afraid that if you are living there too, then there wouldnt be any reduction.

Not many people want carers coming in, but 24/7 caring takes its toll on your health. It is by no means uncommon for 24/7 carers to suffer a stroke or heart attack. Please try and persuade your dad to accept help.
Yes they do get the reduction…I know what you mean that is another worry.?

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
If you live with your parents, you may get a reduction as a carer even if you don't get the carer's allowance. I get 50% reduction for looking after my disabled brother.

I thank you for the years

Oct 5, 2021
Hi @GW50

if you were able to reduce your hours a bit more so that your earnings are £132 or less a week after tax, National Insurance and expenses then you would be eligible for the £69.70 Carers Allowance.

GW50

Sep 13, 2022
If you live with your parents, you may get a reduction as a carer even if you don't get the carer's allowance. I get 50% reduction for looking after my disabled brother.
No I don’t live with my parents and unfortunately I can’t reduce my hours anymore than I have.