Is not showering a sign?

JoeyToughts

Oct 22, 2023
My mum seems completely fine in herself although I’ve had a couple of concerns over recent months due to some silly mistakes she’s been making. She is 63. My mum has never been one to shower daily, id say over the last 10 years she usually has a shower once a week. However recently I’ve noticed she has been showering once every 2 weeks, she said it’s because it’s too cold to shower but I’m worried about her. Could this possible be an early warning sign of dementia? Or is this usually a symptom when the dementia has progressed and is very noticeable?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
If she lives alone like me its difficult to get motivated,
I find as someone who'll be 70 next year there aren't enough hours in a day to do everything alone.
Living alone is just so taxing, 50 percent less people isn't 50 percent less home cleaning, shopping, bed linen changing, one plate less to wash, same number of pans to wash and so on.
Early warning sign, possibly, but living alone is hard work, and I put myself last after posting on here as a carer for over a decade. K

amIinthewrong?

Jan 24, 2024
That seems difficult to go by like you said she has showered once a week for ten years, when you questioned her about her showering now every two weeks, maybe you could mention to her that she could put the heating on before she goes in to the shower so that she isn't cold, when she gets out of it. Or if the heating is already on she could turn it up a little, I suppose it is hard to get a grip,on if it is something to do with dementia because some things people do like having a routine though out the persons life or habits, could be anything really when you think about it, lack of motivation or energy, fear of slipping in the shower ect I suppose you could have a sit down,and think if there is any behaviour that is really odd for example putting forks in the washermachine instead of the dishwasher regulary, that is an extreme example though maybe have a chat with the doctor about it, they can do a test or give some advice regarding you 're concerns.

SelahRosario

Feb 22, 2024
I think that you can not worry, she just don't mind showering so often as she used to. It's not a sign of dementia, you would better look for a change in character or ask her about some events in her life to see if she remembers

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @JoeyToughts sorry to hear that you are still having concerns about your mum but try not to worry too much about a change in showering if you can, it doesn't sound like a sign of dementia to me. Perhaps it will help if you look back at your previous threads and read the reassurance that members have given you previously? You mentioned that you are overthinking things which is making you stressed, and that since you lost your grandad last year you have been worrying more and more about losing someone, especially your mum. Have you spoken to your mum about these thoughts? As these are continuing to cause you stress and worry it may be helpful to have a chat with your doctor about how you are feeling.

You may find the link below helpful too, and it also includes details of the Dementia Support Line if you would like to speak to someone about how you have been feeling about your mum. I hope this helps:

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
My mum seems completely fine in herself although I’ve had a couple of concerns over recent months due to some silly mistakes she’s been making. She is 63. My mum has never been one to shower daily, id say over the last 10 years she usually has a shower once a week. However recently I’ve noticed she has been showering once every 2 weeks, she said it’s because it’s too cold to shower but I’m worried about her. Could this possible be an early warning sign of dementia? Or is this usually a symptom when the dementia has progressed and is very noticeable?

Any help would be much appreciated!
It may be that she is depressed. When I am particularly depressed self worth flies out of the window, washing and wearing the same clothes becomes the norm

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
If she lives alone like me its difficult to get motivated,
I find as someone who'll be 70 next year there aren't enough hours in a day to do everything alone.
Living alone is just so taxing, 50 percent less people isn't 50 percent less home cleaning, shopping, bed linen changing, one plate less to wash, same number of pans to wash and so on.
Early warning sign, possibly, but living alone is hard work, and I put myself last after posting on here as a carer for over a decade. K
💗 Definitely ... It is hard to motivate yourself too x