IRP on the way – my experience and some (helpful) notes

buttpt

Jul 16, 2009
I am near to having an IRP for my parent with AD2, who does not meet the NHS funding criteria.
It has taken me many years to get to this stage, after writing letter after letter. The PCT not responding to our concerns and how they made their decision, are just one of the issues to be discussed. My parent lived on their own, after their partner passed away. My parent had some daily social service care, but eventually they had to go into a care home, using initial respite.

The system is run by NHS paid staff ( even the Panel), so the promise on an IRP is not strictly true. They are paid by the NHS to save money, and they have a lot to lose in this case.

Keys features (apologies for no correct ordering):-

1. This society did not help in my pursuit. It may have sent out leaflets to me, but when it came to the actual nitty gritty, who’s right who’s wrong, then I was on my own.
2. The NHS system works by knowing you are a layman, and by taking advantage of your lack of knowledge and how the system works
3. AD /AD2 is an “unpredictable terminal condition”. According to the streetwise publication “The Care Charge AVOIDANCE Handbook” 2nd edition page 22; If you suffer from some form of condition eg Alzheimer’s or dementia which would enable full funding to be obtained. Note. I have contacted this society on this very detail, and they are not at liberty to pass judgment on publications. It is up to you to decide. I’m not pushing this publication; I’m just letting you that it is out there to read and assess.
4. Get an EPA on your parent – it takes time but it’s worth it. Their GP has to sign it. You then control the purse strings. Stop the Care home funding until you are satisfied with what is going on. You may be able to perform an equity transfer of the property by going to the Court Of Protection- You have to fill out loads of forms though. Once you get permission, you can instruct a solicitor to perform a TR1 form transfer of equity to the children at the Land Registry ( assuming you have access to their WILL and it states that the children will receive the estate on their death. ) An EPA gives you the right to look after the best interests of the client.
5. If you get your loved one, sectioned then all funding will be given, as under section act 117. We were advised that this was possible but it never happened. Our parent went into the care home for respite, stayed in. Then we get a letter one day, saying that our parent has been assessed and does not qualify for NHS funding. They did not look at all the medical facts. They did not have the GP medical records to assess the patient. The taking of funds without due process is called fraud. They decided to take money from our parent’s bank account without correctly following procedure.
6. If my parent had a fall at home, and had to go to hospital for a few weeks, with say a broken log, then the nurses would have soon noted that the patient was not “quite right”. They would have to be assessed for release back home. If they then knew the patient had dementia then they may have to be considered for mental sectioning for their own safety.
7. Care funding should be agreed and sorted BEFORE the patient goes into the home. This is proper procedure; otherwise they are abusing the care system. You need to challenge it BEFORE hand.
8. The GP and social services did not advise of the section act 117 and how to peruse this. If they did then the NHS would lose a fortune. I am going to purse this matter at the IRP as to why this was withheld from the family. Once sectioned, you will then have to fight ( I assume) to put your loved one into a care home. Given that most homes, now look after AD patients then this could be described as standard practice, and used as an argument.
9. A Care home EMI ward is in fact a form of sectioning – behind closed doors for the safety of the patient requiring (24x7 constant care) or even a danger to the public if they are left out. My parent would cross a main road, totally oblivious to the danger, putting drivers at risk. Climbing out of windows at night etc.
10. During disputes of funding do the following:- Cancel the Direct debit from the patient’s account. You have every right to do this until an IRP etc is completed. In the meantime, the patient WILL NOT suffer any degradation of care. The patient’s care and wellbeing is paramount. The funding is to the local council. That is the paying relationship. The council pay the care home. The patient does not have a payment relationship with the care home, so don’t feel guilty. Once you have done this, then the PCT etc are under great pressure to resolve the dispute – TO YOUR SATISFACTION. As long as you keep paying, the PCT will ignore you.
11. Discrimination – If a patient has a terminal condition of say the liver or kidney, then they can make appropriate financial arrangements for their estate, WILL or even plan to release some of their equity from their property for a bit of life’s luxuries, they may have never had. Even gift their grandchildren etc. All this is denied from a dementia patient. They haven’t the capability to rewrite their WILL or manager their estate once this sets in. Taken property from these vulnerable people is discrimination. But this needs to be put in front of a judge and then a decision made. The NHS don’t want this and other
12. Legal point of property – Do not sign any papers to hand over the property – Until all funding is resolved then it stays with the patient. How can a property be owned by the NHS as debt?
13. Confiscation of property - Either the NHS own the property or they don’t. There is no ½ way house. The children( me being one) are left to manage the property and for what ? So the NHS can take it away. If it is rightfully there’s to take, then why don’t they insure the property and manage it whilst the patient is in the care home? They want their cake and eat it. This point has not been legally challenged. This is the problem at the moment – until the a decision is taken to a high court judge, and the NHS challenged , then no president can be set.
14. Care for property – There seems to be a misconception that if you stop paying fees or you do not handover their property for care home fees than the patient care will suffer. As mentioned, the Care of the patient is paramount, through out disputes of payment.This is your only weapon for justice. So the argument is that the patient will pass away with the same level of care irrespective of their financial status. Some of the care home friends of my parent, have no assets, yet get the same level of care.
15. Morally wrong - My parents made sure we had a home over our heads. The home was paid off decades ago, and they were proud to have do debt to society. Yet the present Care system to take property and then say there may not be enough funds to cover their care home costs, is morally wrong – knowing they will go to their grave in debt to society, is morally wrong, and should be challenged.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi and welcome to Talking Point.

I assume by IRP you mean independent review panel? Although you may not have chosen to use them, or depending when you did this it may not have been available the society does has a group of people to help you through this specific minefield http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?t=17531

Please also note that EPAs are no longer applicable unless there is already one is existence. I'm not sure what you mean by "their GP has to sign it" since that was never a standard requirement for an EPA.

Anyway, any problems with caring or any issues you wish to discuss, just post away.

MarkEdge

Mar 24, 2009
London
Please also note that EPAs are no longer applicable unless there is already one is existence. I'm not sure what you mean by "their GP has to sign it" since that was never a standard requirement for an EPA.

Hi

A couple of comments about EPAs/LPAs:

1. Existing EPAs, i.e. completed but not necessarily registered are still binding.
2. There are two types of LPAs: Property & Affairs (much the same as the old EPA) and Personal Welfare. Some hospitals/care homes have recently had the habit of not recognising the old EPA when it comes to making healthcare decisions, including placements in care homes.
3. If you haven't got an old EPA, I suggest completing both LPAs. If an old EPA exists, just complete a Personal Welfare LPA.
4. The comment above re: GP, is probably in connection with the fact that a GP can act as a 'certificate provider' for an LPA instead of (but not as well as) a solicitor.

I not sure I agree with point 10 above in buttpt's list. It might be too late to stop the funding if you have already signed a contract with a care home. You should seek solicitor's guidance beforehand as it could land you in trouble. The key point is to make sure you never sign a contract in the first place if you think you have a case for CC.

Hope that clarifies things,

Mark

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi
Some hospitals/care homes have recently had the habit of not recognising the old EPA when it comes to making healthcare decisions, including placements in care homes.

I don't know about recently - there was never a time when it was legally required that an EPA should be taken into account when it came to care home placement - hence the need for the new Welfare LPA.

Personally - I'd take issue with 15. I have yet to hear of anyone actually been placed in debt to pay care home bills. True, any assets may be depleted, and you may well consider that unfair but debt, no.

I agree with you, Mark, about 10.

Last edited:

buttpt

Jul 16, 2009
Thanks for the feedback.

IRP = Independent Review Panel
EPA = Enduring Power Of Attorney – Taken out in 2005 and still valid.
Note; The PCT requested us to fill out a release form so that we could release our parent's GP medical records. These medical records will be available for the IRP. All previous assessments
were taken with them. All this will be taken into account for a formal complaints process following our IRP.

Item 10: Feedback - Factual details of this statement:-
As documented in the local NHS Strategic Health Authorities ”CONTINUING CARE ELIGIBILITY” for 2003 , at the time valid; Section of “Resolution of complaints, disputes and appeals”.
The “Funding Disputes”: ( heading verbatim)
“During disputes, there should be no delay to the provision of appropriate care for the individual, and PCTs and Social Services should establish joint arrangements to ensure funding is in place to facilitate this. There should be no presumption on the part of PCTs or Social Services Departments that the other organisation will either fund or arrange the care during the dispute; this will need to be resolved by Social Services and PCTs in each case, and with the needs of the individual at the forefront. However, where no agreement can be reached the NHS will take responsibility until the dispute is resolved, at which point any appropriate costs would need to be reimbursed. It must be made clear to the patient or their carer that this is an interim solution that may result in all or part of the package of care becoming means tested. In some instances Social Services may request charges to be back dated.”

As the PCT withheld documents, and took us three years to hold an IRP, then the above is not exactly true in terms of no delays. As soon as we cancelled the Direct Debit, then the process moved much quicker.
As I say; your only weapon –The family will continue to withhold payments until we get a resolution that is fair and just.

Item 15 statement:
If the patient lives a long time within care, accruing fees larger that their estate value, then they are in theory “in debt to society”. This is the whole reason why the NHS takes their estate to pay for their care. I believe a residue amount that can be left is approx £16K. It still does not disguise the fact, that there may be an actual short fall of funds to meet the care home fees.

New Item 16: The IRP itself
This will focus on the two main concerns; does the patient require:-
a) health care or
b) social care
c) ( or both)

I don’t understand who a simple and logical aspect of a terminal brain condition can be so complicated.
There is cause and effect:-
The patient has a brain condition with the net effect of them not being able to feed or look after themselves. A danger to themselves (which has been clearly documented in our case by the social workers) and to others ( a possibility of burning down the house with neighbours next door). If it wasn’t for the underlying health condition the patient wouldn’t require care.

So how come mental patients sectioned under 117 get the care free, yet patients with Alzheimer’s don’t ?
I don’t understand who this whole issue of lack of NHS funding for a mental health condition has gone on since 1993/4 (when this act came into place).

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
I don't know about recently - there was never a time when it was legally required that an EPA should be taken into account when it came to care home placement - hence the need for the new Welfare LPA.

It has been the case for years that the existence of an EPA was always deemed (in the past!!) to be an acknowledgement of trust, placed by the donor in whoever was the recipient of that trust. So it has normally been accepted as such. Until very recently, when someone or other (in the chambers of power) decided that it should not be accepted as a donation of trust. Knowing full well that the donor would no longer be in a position to validate that any further.

buttpt, if you were accepted as being responsible enough to be allowed to sign a release form, then ... why on earth would that have been asked of you,IF THEY DIDN'T UNDERSTAND the purpose of that EPA, as a donation of trust by your parent? Or were they accepting you as a next-of-kin but not as trusted EPA?

There is not an allowable distinction between health and social needs. A primary health need is all that is required, as I understand it, because the one necessitates the other, in most cases.

But I am sure the knitting wool will prove otherwise. The knitting needles, with the occasional dropped stitch; like the bicycle with a puncture.