ipads and dementia

creativesarah

Apr 22, 2010
Upton Northamptonshire
A friend of mine has started a memory group and has put in a bid with the council for 2 ipads and a mac computer

I dont know anything about Mac computers! would it be better to have everything apple based will it be easier to use ?

Just wondered if any one has any ideas on this

Sarah

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hi Sarah. I have an ipadband a MacBook. My friends of have iPads don't use Mac computers. I'm biased as I love my MacBook. I bought the Office for Mac package so that I could word process using word. At the time I was working and needed to use PowerPoint. As long as I saved it in the right format I could work on the MacBook and then take it into school on a pen drive or email it to myself.

I don't think that's much help!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Basically the mac set out is quite differently from a pc. It might take a bit of getting used to. The iPads are straightforward it think. Like a big iPhone if anyone is familiar with these.

AngelaNeal

Jan 14, 2013
iPads are wonderfully intuitive for just about everyone. People who are used to PCs may find Macs a bit tricky to navigate, although IMHO they are a far superior choice.

Haven't seen any examples of where having a Mac and an iPad posed advantage over having a PC and iPad- unless you are using some of the most advanced Apple apps such as Pages or Numbers... but I'm thinking that's unlikely in this case.

Starvin

Jan 8, 2013
N.Wales
New iPads come with Siri, a system that allows you to search the web, ask questions ,search your own files and type by voice ,which is great if your English and typing skills are diminishing :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
It must be my Scottish accent. Siri never understands anything I say!!!!:D

Chris Edgerton

Oct 22, 2003
Warwick District
Try Android Linux etc operting systems programes free and or cheap

The speak isssue on tablets, phones was I belive developed by andriod/linux software base. But was avaliable to some extent on the second generation home/office computers.

But the main issue is what do you want the computer to do?

Andriod software gives a great selection of free programes, and payed for.

Laptop, tower computers can run on free software; linux operating system with great word processors compatable with word etc, but also a great free range of software for people with cognative/education issues. And will run any web based programe.

Why free or cheap - great people dont see profit, but avaliable to all ///