'Infection' and antibiotics

anon36

Jul 24, 2014
Hi all,

I always appreciate the support and advice on here as I forever worry about my Mum.
She's in a home and in the last few months she has become chairbound and has to be helped around by the staff. She has up days and down days where she'll either smile and say things or be very confused by those around here and maybe not show any cheerful facial expression at all.
Last week there was a concern where she stayed in her room and my Dad arrived to find the curtains closed. The medics arrived and advised she had an infection and provided some antibiotics that could be administered with a dropped (she refuses to take pills or tablets).
She has sores apparently owing to the sedentary life she now has but they suggested this might be thrush in her mouth. Since the diagnosis around Tuesday last week she has been up and down. When visited she has either been asleep and not responsive or she has been a bit perky and smiley and talkative.
It just worries me so much about the effect any infections could have as I know pneumonia can be deadly. They don't seem to be ringing any alarm bells as yet and I didn't know what normally happens in this sort of case. If there was a major concern would she be taken to hospital?
My dilemma is that I live 200 miles away so it can be difficult to get there. I visit once a month or every other month and rely on feedback from my family that are local to her. I don't know whether to take sick leave from work to rush down for a couple of days this week or if it's just something that'll pass.
It seems really difficult to tell how close she is to her last days, I just don't know what to expect and forever live in fear on 'that call' to say we've lost her.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Infections are part of daily life in a care home. If you are concerned talk to the head nurse - tell her your wishes fir your involvement with your mum. She will do everything possible to make it happen.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Most infections clear up fine with antibiotics. Where there is severe dehydration, a hospital stay might be advised but in my opinion and from personal experience, people with dementia should be kept out of hospital as much as humanly possible. In fact, if you have health POA you could give the care home instructions as to which scenarios should trigger a hospital stay and which shouldn't.

anon36

Jul 24, 2014
Many thanks both for putting it more into perspective. My Dad is always preparing for the worst and I was picking up the fear from him on this. I don't know how strong Mum's immune system is so really hoping the antibiotics are able to clear it up ok.
I will be off on holiday the week after this so was terrified of something happening when I was away as it'd be much further for me to get back to Mum.
I know there isn't too much in the way of positives at the moment but if she overcomes this ok and continues her battle it'll be a relief just for the time being.
I did ask my Dad if she'd go into hospital and was advised she wouldn't, she'd be in the care home until the final days. It's just a matter of knowing how much time there is left is always the painful enigma.

anon36

Jul 24, 2014
I drove down yesterday evening to see my mum today.
We received a call at 4am to say she had passed...

anon36

Jul 24, 2014
Thanks Izzy, I was with my Dad when he got the news and also my sister. We just consoled each other for the following few hours. Feel sad I didn't get here in time.

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
I'm so sorry to read your news, anon.

Try not to dwell on not being there-it's the many times you WERE there that counts.

My condolences to you and your family.

Love

Lyn T XX

anon36

Jul 24, 2014
Thanks Lyn, I last saw her at the end of February and it was quite positive. She always tends to light up with children around (nephews and nieces). She was bright and responsive yesterday so still quite a shock really. When my brother visited last week she was asleep the whole time so it might have been the same for me. As long as she knew how muh she was loved and appreciated that's the main thing.
I sent a text to my sister last night saying if I could just get a smile it would mean the world to me.

anon36

Jul 24, 2014
Many thanks both, much appreciated. The family got together yesterday and we sorted some things out. I'm staying with my Dad at the moment to make sure he's ok. Very up and down with everything at the moment. She was such a lovely person who went out of her way for anyone and I can always picture her in my head smiling and laughing. She was so different the last year or so but still occasionally we had a smile and a laugh from her.

Red66

Feb 29, 2016
So sorry to hear of your loss, your mum is certainly in a better place away from this cruel illness. I hope you find the strength to look after your family and also yourself. We trying to hide our feelings and keep it from our parents (in my case my mum), I know how hard that is. My sympathies. Red xx

DMac

Jul 18, 2015
Surrey, UK
Just wanted to add my condolences, anon. So sorry for your loss. I feel more than sure that you did everything possible to make your mum as comfortable and happy as she could be in her final days. Please, take some comfort from that knowledge.

Best wishes. xx

anon36

Jul 24, 2014
Many thanks all, really appreciate all the comments.
It's been a really hard week for the family but we've spent some precious time together consoling each other.