Incontinence

Chrys01

Dec 25, 2023
Since my mum started showing signs of dementia last year, she has become very incontinent. I’ve tried everything but it’s a losing battle. I’m struggling with constant washing, mopping and the smell that lingers. She won’t let carers help her, so it’s down to me to try to wash her - which she refuses most of the time. Feel like being sick at the moment from the smell and the bleach and disinfectant that’s needed all the time.

I’m posting because I’m feeling guilty that I don’t want my mum to live like this and it’s only a matter of time before residential care is needed. Christmas morning at 3.30 and I’m mopping floors trying to convince mum to put on a new pad and pull ups. It’s hard to feel festive.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Chrys01

Incontinence is extremely difficult to manage, especially when the person with dementia doesnt understand what is happening and is not co-operative. It is many carers line in the sand.

May I suggest, though, a Vax spot washer for carpets and a steam mop for hard floors? They get rid of a huge amount of nastiness! Perhaps take advantage of the sales. Also, I use zoflora disinfectant as it smell so much nicer than other disinfectants. It can also be used as a laundry sanitiser to get rid of smells in fabric. I dont use bleach.

Have you also got the bed sorted out with a waterproof mattress cover, waterproof duvet protector and a kylie sheet? If not, do get a couple of mattress protectors and duvet protectors and three kylie sheets (one on the bed, one in the wash and the third one all ready to go on!). Kylie sheets are washable pads that will absorb a huge amount of liquid and have saved my bacon (not to mention the bed and floor) on numerous occasions. You can also get kylie pads to go on chairs. I dont (yet) need them, but they sound like a good idea.

Good luck!