Incontinence

Lou12

Mar 14, 2019
Hi, my dad is an 87 year old suffering with dementia and is incontinent. He is still able to go out and can usually get back home. The problem at the moment is his incontinence, the pads that he is wearing do not help at all. We have tried different ones but have not found any that help. He is fed up of being wet constantly and I am wondering if anyone has been through this and found anything that will keep him dry so he can still go out without fear of feeling embarrassed.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi, @Lou12, this is an issue that is often discussed so I'm sure you will get advice from members who have had to deal with this issue. If you try the 'Search' facility you may even be able to find some of the old threads.

Sometimes a GP surgery provides a continence service so that route may be worth a try.

In the meantime, in the hope that it helps you both, here's a link to the relevant Society Factsheet. Just click the 2nd line to read and/or print the document
Continence and using the toilet (502)
PDF printable version

I wish your dad all the best with that.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I recently bought Viva plastic pants for my husband from Age UK at roughly £5 a pair. During the night I find that two pads plus these pants keep the bed dry. I also use kylie sheets. By day I just use the pads but the plastic pants seem to be comfortable enough to use during the day too. My husband has accepted them without protest.

I should also say that I get my husband up once a night to the toilet otherwise he is likely to overflow even with plastic pants.

Last edited: