Incontinence tips

Fatima

Aug 12, 2016
my husband who has Alzheimer's now for 8 years, is now regularly urinating in various places around the house. I am constantly on edge trying to avoid this but even if I get him to the toilet he often wets the floor there as well. Incontinence products don't help as he still knows when he needs to go and will pee sometimes out the front or back door if not locked . I now needs to invest in some products to help with cleaning. I need to get a machine that will suck up the spills both on tiles and carpet but also wash , something light and portable for upstairs and down. I have gone online and got overloaded with options. I thought like everything to do with alzheimers it is the carers dealing with similar problems who will know the best solution. Sorry to go on but would so appreciate any tips. No matter how hard I clean there is now that awful lingering odour in the bedroom, just something else to add to the stress, I have put large bin in the bedroom which works when he makes it there, a commode was not use as too low. Thanks for your patience

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
my husband who has Alzheimer's now for 8 years, is now regularly urinating in various places around the house. I am constantly on edge trying to avoid this but even if I get him to the toilet he often wets the floor there as well. Incontinence products don't help as he still knows when he needs to go and will pee sometimes out the front or back door if not locked . I now needs to invest in some products to help with cleaning. I need to get a machine that will suck up the spills both on tiles and carpet but also wash , something light and portable for upstairs and down. I have gone online and got overloaded with options. I thought like everything to do with alzheimers it is the carers dealing with similar problems who will know the best solution. Sorry to go on but would so appreciate any tips. No matter how hard I clean there is now that awful lingering odour in the bedroom, just something else to add to the stress, I have put large bin in the bedroom which works when he makes it there, a commode was not use as too low. Thanks for your patience

Hi @Fatima there are lots of similar threads on here and if you type incontinence into the search box you should find them. I am sorry that you are having to deal with this but you will find that it is a recurring problem on this forum and many others are In a similar position.

Best wishes to you.

KathyKindler

Apr 24, 2019
Dealing with the same issue
I just put down vinyl flooring in his bedroom.
Seems to clean pretty easy
I have three rotating mops in the shower
Also, a hamper and white cloths
I spray the floor with bleach
I hand them on a shower rod
I use a fan and candle warmer to try and keep the odor down
It's a very sad disease, as you well know
There may be a drug th a t can help
I think I would have to see a urologist
It good to know we're not the only one fighting this problem
God bless

I

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @KathyKindler
and a warm welcome
it's a real strength of TP that we are able to share experiences, so now you've found this supportive community, I hope you will keep posting