INCIDENT AT CARE HOME

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hi All,
Just needed to let it all out! Mum was discharged from hospital into a care home because of poor mobility on Monday pm for an assessment! This pm received a call from the home to say there had been an incident! A casual message was left on my voicemail nothing to say she had had a fall! After telephoning the care home was told mum had been found in the bathroom after having a fall! She sustained a black eye as well as other injuries! After blaming the carer on the phone why was my mother not being assisted to the bathroom? Why was she walking alone to get the bathroom when clearly her mobility was not good! Why?? Who is to blame? Was it the hospital that should have informed the care home she needed assistance as it was only last week I was told by hospital that she was started to improve and able to walk a little with a frame and assistance so why was no one with her!! I'm frantic as have had no call from the hospital and don't know how mum is! I'm worried to say the least. Does anyone know what the next step is in this situation? Will it be investigated? Surely someone should have been monitoring her? Or is that too much to ask in a care home? (Sorry to be so blunt - she's only been in there a few days ). . .

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I’m sorry you are so upset & worried. Personally, I’d ask to speak to the manager & ask for full details. Unfortunately, falls can even when someone is monitoring.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
a person can fall even if they have someone next to them. was the floor slippy? if a person falls, i was trained either to do an assisted fall so they dont fall hard or not to catch them because you can do more injuries to them that way. you need to speak to the manager and find out exactly what happened and what they can do to reduce the risk going forward. it could have been any number of reasons but maybe there needs to be a plan that needs to be in a care plan so all carers are aware of it.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Dad's mobility was probably better than your mum's but he collapsed in the downstairs. I was satisfied that the home did their best but because I believe your mum's mobility is better than his was I think you should ask to see details of what happened.

MaNaAk

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Roman223 , I'm sorry your mum had a fall and that it has upset you so much. My mum has been in a care home for over two years and has had a few falls. The home phone me as they did you, but if I'm not picking up they'll leave a message. I don't think the home were being remiss, and though its tempting to blame the carers it isn't their fault. Even if your mum had someone with her all the time falls happen, sometimes as @jennifer1967 said it's something you can't stop.
I'm not clear if the home have sent her to hospital to be checked up or not. Mum's home will only do that if they are concerned about injury. Last time the paramedics came out and decided that mum was fine. As it took them ages to check her over as she was flirting with them I'm sure she was.
I'd talk to the home in a constructive manner about this and how they will try and minimise the chance of it happening again. Homes don't like their residents falling anymore than the relatives do. For instance mum now has a pressure mat by her bed, so someone can come in as soon as she tries to get up as that when falls seem to often happen

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Falls are very common and often impossible to prevent. Unless your mother is receiving one-to-one care during her assessment, she will be on her own some of the time so if she decides to take herself to the bathroom and struggles with mobility, falls are likely to happen. It could just as easily have happened in the hospital. (And does - frequently!)

My mother was pushed over by another resident whilst in her care home and broke her hip. That was bad enough but while she was recovering she had several more falls. The problem was that she needed to use a walking frame and/or call for assistance but she just never remembered to do those things and fell as a result. She didn't remember breaking her hip and had no idea who the frame in her room belonged to...

I hope your mother's injuries are not severe. There will certainly be a safeguarding enquiry at the CH so ask the manager what measures they are putting in place to prevent a repeat of this. These might include frequent toilet prompting (rather than wait for her to say she needs to go) and a crash mat by the bed to alert them when she starts moving around.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Falls are very common and often impossible to prevent. Unless your mother is receiving one-to-one care during her assessment, she will be on her own some of the time so if she decides to take herself to the bathroom and struggles with mobility, falls are likely to happen. It could just as easily have happened in the hospital. (And does - frequently!)

My mother was pushed over by another resident whilst in her care home and broke her hip. That was bad enough but while she was recovering she had several more falls. The problem was that she needed to use a walking frame and/or call for assistance but she just never remembered to do those things and fell as a result. She didn't remember breaking her hip and had no idea who the frame in her room belonged to...

I hope your mother's injuries are not severe. There will certainly be a safeguarding enquiry at the CH so ask the manager what measures they are putting in place to prevent a repeat of this. These might include frequent toilet prompting (rather than wait for her to say she needs to go) and a crash mat by the bed to alert them when she starts moving around.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Thank you for you replies! I have spoken to the manager at the care home and was told that mum had been sat in the communal lounge and then wandered down the corridor herself with her frame into another bathroom! Bear in mind she had just been to the toilet with a member of staff beforehand. They think she fell over the frame - I did ask why she had not been supervised but the manager's reply was they are a residential home and cannot watch residents 24hrs a day - but I do disagree especially as she had only been there a few days and the hospital had sent a report to the care home to say she had poor mobility and was at high risk of falls! Thank you Jaded and faded - I will ask this question to the CH.

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hi @Roman223 , I'm sorry your mum had a fall and that it has upset you so much. My mum has been in a care home for over two years and has had a few falls. The home phone me as they did you, but if I'm not picking up they'll leave a message. I don't think the home were being remiss, and though its tempting to blame the carers it isn't their fault. Even if your mum had someone with her all the time falls happen, sometimes as @jennifer1967 said it's something you can't stop.
I'm not clear if the home have sent her to hospital to be checked up or not. Mum's home will only do that if they are concerned about injury. Last time the paramedics came out and decided that mum was fine. As it took them ages to check her over as she was flirting with them I'm sure she was.
I'd talk to the home in a constructive manner about this and how they will try and minimise the chance of it happening again. Homes don't like their residents falling anymore than the relatives do. For instance mum now has a pressure mat by her bed, so someone can come in as soon as she tries to get up as that when falls seem to often happen

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020

Roman223

Dec 29, 2020
Hi Sarasa,
Thank you for your reply. Mum was taken to hospital as she banged her head and has a black eye. She also fell on her arm and was in alot of pain - but luckily nothing was broken. She is due to have further tests etc, but she is doing fine!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jwpp