im confused,,any advice please

caring a

Mar 1, 2014
mums 88 has az and stiff knees,her legs wont straiten so she has many problems walking,,
however some times she seems to be able to stand and move reasonably,,but others i help her up and its like shes frozen to the floor and zimmer,,she tends to to moan with her breathing and seems very afread,,,
do you think the walking and standing is as much the az that the athritis,as ive noticed when shes in lost mode he standing is far poorer,,,,,
im so worried that its gonna end in her just closing down,,,,then its hoist and all new ballgame,,,,,i really dont know if i could manage if she went off her limbs,,im dreading it..
any advise guys,,any you good people witnessed simular,,
thks for reading,,
love to u all xx

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Is she simply frightened she is going to fall? Literally frozen with fear as it were?

Only other thing that came to mind was this, has something like Parkinsons's Disease of Lewy Body Dementia been ruled out?

There is nothing to say that someone with Alzheimer's can't also get eother of these, also, Lewy Body Disease is often misdaiagnosed as Alzheimer's at the start because the initial symptoms are very similar by AD is far more common.

Most people think Parkinson's always means the trmor, but some people get different symptoms, where they become stiff and find it very difficult to start a movement but are Ok once they get going - it's usualy manifests as either the person having difficulting in starting a particular movement or a movement being slow and stuff (called badykineasia)

Parkinsons and LBD can be diagnosed definitively with a brain scan because with both diseases patients form Lewy Bodies in their brains that are clearly visible. Many people diagnosed with AD are never given a brain scan because scans are not very helpful for that.

However, if their dementia symptoms progress in a non-typical way, a scan might be done in order to see what is going on

Unfortunately, there is no treatment for LBD, but Parkinson's symptoms can be alleviated with drugs, although there is no treatment or cure that slows down the actual disease, only the symptoms

I would ask your mum's GP to assess her.

It coul dbe psychological, but also could be something else.