If dad has to go into care ???

watto

Mar 14, 2017
Just a quick question plz .... if my dad( who suffers with vascular dementia ) eventually has to go into care , what would happen to his house which is paid for ? My mother has lived there all her life and brother since he was born in 1969 . I understand that funds from the house value would have to pay for his care , but surley they cannot make them homeless ? I'm not worried about the money just that they can stay in the family home .. any advice appreciated .

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi watto
don't panic - as long as your mum lives in the marital home it is not taken into account in any financial assessment to pay her husband's care fees, whether he lives at home or moves into a care home - so your mum is able to continue to live in her home
in fact, only your dad's own assets are taken into account, not your mum's so her own savings and pensions etc are her own business - just maybe make sure that her assets are clearly defined and separate from her husband's
best wishes

watto

Mar 14, 2017
thanks .. my mother isn't in that good health also . if (god forbid ) something happened to her first , how would my brother fair as its always been his home and never moved out .

Last edited:

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hi watto
sorry, I don't see the problem concerning your brother - surely it's up to your parents whether they are happy for him to continue to live there or not, as long as one or both of them remain in the house - no-one is going to ask him to leave just because your dad moves into a care home (I guess he contributes to the household)
however, if both your parents move out and the money from the property is needed to pay for their care, he has no specific right to remain in the house

in response to your edited post - there may be a problem then, as your brother is not yet 60 - unless he has some disability and is receiving benefits - the LA may grant a discretionary disregard, but that only means that they will come for payment on the death of your parents - there was a recent post in which the circumstances for granting such a disregard were quoted
your brother might buy the house, or rent it at a fair market rate

and just to add, when your dad moves, your mum will be responsible for all household bills (though can take monies from your dad for half the house insurance and maintenance bills)

this is a relevant document - scroll down almost to the end for Property Disregards section 34
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/care-act-statutory-guidance/care-and-support-statutory-guidance#annexes

Last edited:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London