I V at home

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
Hi
Has anyone had any experience of having I V antibiotics at home my dad as a UTI that can’t be treated by oral antibiotics (again)
Last time he was admitted to hospital but the care was terrible for a person with dementia he also caught Covid
The doctor is trying to arrange for it to be done at home I feel sick tbh because I know he’s not going to be happy with all the upset
Just wondered if any one else had had this done at home

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
To the best of my knowledge, IV antibiotics can’t be administered at home as it requires nursing staff supervision. If by some chance your GP can do this then it will involve several visits from medically trained staff like the district nurses. I feel that they are so stretched, this will not be possible. I know in my mums care home, despite having a clinical lead, they will not give IV medication. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear . ( NB I’m not medically trained this is just my opinion and I’d be gladly proved wrong.)

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
To the best of my knowledge, IV antibiotics can’t be administered at home as it requires nursing staff supervision. If by some chance your GP can do this then it will involve several visits from medically trained staff like the district nurses. I feel that they are so stretched, this will not be possible. I know in my mums care home, despite having a clinical lead, they will not give IV medication. Sorry if this is not what you want to hear . ( NB I’m not medically trained this is just my opinion and I’d be gladly proved wrong.)
Thank you for your reply
The doctor’s just rang me back I have to take him to hospital in the morning to have the line put in and 1 dose given then he can have it done at home by a nurse
I do however think this a ploy to get him to hospital because the conversation I had had with her 30 minute earlier she said it was almost impossible to arrange in the community
I had told her I didn’t want him admitting because he needs proper care
last time he was in was disgraceful how he was treated shouted at to sit down etc
I feel with things how they are now it would be a lot worse and with having dementia it’s just not the right care especially when he was delirious
I think you may be right in what you are saying and the DR is just trying to pacify me But knows that once he’s there he’s there
But I suppose he needs the treatment either way ☹️

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
@Cats2022 , well I home you are in an area like the one @nitram has shared because it makes a lot of sense. Maybe the GP was able to push a bit harder for this support. Hope your dad gets better soon.

Pork Pie lady

Mar 16, 2013
Anglia
When my husband was in hospital he was promised he could go home and have IV antibiotics given by community nurses. It took so long to organise he had finished the course before they got it sorted.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I have known it.
but to be quite honest it was a well mannered, completely compliant, 35 year old that had come off their motorbike.
Not a person with dementia.
a uti can cause the person to fall.
But it can also cause hallucinations/ delusions. The team would have to risk assess that before a lone nurse would call out.
So if the UTI can be stabilised and there is the correct support at home it may be possible?
I would take him to hospital tomorrow and hope for the best!
I would love to know why they treat with Iv ?

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Round here they are developing virtual wards to treat outside of hospital. My friends mum is ‘in’ one with all sorts of professionals popping in. Seems to be working well and they are taking a kinder approach to invasive tests ets as well

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I was told that it is very difficult to get the tablet version of what OH was on.
That’s interesting. Mum now requires second line antibiotics. So I have a ridiculously high interest in any UTI information.

We ended up at the hospital again this week ! There was a funny side to it, I told them I wanted Pivmecillnam and the script was in my hands in seconds! The poor things are so busy! No debate or anything!
We were there because she fell and hit her head. They had no interest in why she had fallen. My tip to anyone supporting someone with dementia is if while you await the ambulance if they they require to urinate more than once a hour, then insist on a urine dip at hospital. They would have just discharged her then the infection would have got worse! And what could have happened the following day?

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
I have known it.
but to be quite honest it was a well mannered, completely compliant, 35 year old that had come off their motorbike.
Not a person with dementia.
a uti can cause the person to fall.
But it can also cause hallucinations/ delusions. The team would have to risk assess that before a lone nurse would call out.
So if the UTI can be stabilised and there is the correct support at home it may be possible?
I would take him to hospital tomorrow and hope for the best!
I would love to know why they treat with Iv ?
Hi
There isn’t an oral antibiotic that will treat this particular UTI bug so that’s why they have to do IV the antibiotics he’s had haven’t done anything ☹️
I know when he’s had IV before he’s had terrible hallucinations/ delirium so I’m not confident they will administer at home

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Hi
There isn’t an oral antibiotic that will treat this particular UTI bug so that’s why they have to do IV the antibiotics he’s had haven’t done anything ☹️
I know when he’s had IV before he’s had terrible hallucinations/ delirium so I’m not confident they will administer at home
I do hope things go ok for you.
I can fully understand how high your stress levels must be right now.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
I wonder if you'll have to sit while the IV is administered, then return for the next four or so days for the same.
How long does a bag of IV antibiotic take to run through? Couple of hours maybe?
I should imagine it would be very dificult to do at home safely

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
I wonder if you'll have to sit while the IV is administered, then return for the next four or so days for the same.
How long does a bag of IV antibiotic take to run through? Couple of hours maybe?
I should imagine it would be very dificult to do at home safely
I’m not sure the doctor said I could stay with him while it was done today and he wouldn’t be admitted but I’m not convinced it probably would be ok for someone younger and without issues I just really don’t want him in hospital

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tawn