I need advice for possible BvFTD diagnosis

DeeWolf2013

Sep 11, 2023
My husband is 54. He is healthy and happy. Over the last six years, I've seen some odd behavior including lack of motivation, and forgetfulness. Sometimes he acts bizarre and says odd things. Sometimes he does childlike things. He doesn't always make what I would determine the right or best decision. And when I call him out on things, he doesn't seem to be bothered by what I say or even knows he did anything different. At this time, his symptoms are intermittent, however I am beginning to see more and more symptoms that concern me. He was previously diagnosed with Manic episodes, which seemed accurate at the time, however the episodes are becoming more frequent, and he doesn't seem to be in a manic state. I am in the process of scheduling a CT scan with a neurologist to hopefully rule-out this diagnosis. For those whose spouses suffer from this form of dementia, how long did it take for symptoms to become regular - years? I am feeling lost and guilty for even considering that this could likely be happening to my husband.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @DeeWolf2013 I hope you will find the forum helpful.

Please don`t feel guilty for being concerned about your husband. You have lived with him and observed the changes in his behaviour which are bound to concern you.

Be pleased you have taken action to find a diagnosis. The CT scan will hopefully reveal the truth and you will know what`s wrong even if it's news you would rather not hear.

I hope you will continue to post. There is a lot of experience of FTD on the forum and I`m sure you will hear from others who have been in your position.

There is a lot of information from the Alzheimer`s Society about FTD which I hope will help you.

Last edited:

Springfield

Dec 18, 2021
My husband is 54. He is healthy and happy. Over the last six years, I've seen some odd behavior including lack of motivation, and forgetfulness. Sometimes he acts bizarre and says odd things. Sometimes he does childlike things. He doesn't always make what I would determine the right or best decision. And when I call him out on things, he doesn't seem to be bothered by what I say or even knows he did anything different. At this time, his symptoms are intermittent, however I am beginning to see more and more symptoms that concern me. He was previously diagnosed with Manic episodes, which seemed accurate at the time, however the episodes are becoming more frequent, and he doesn't seem to be in a manic state. I am in the process of scheduling a CT scan with a neurologist to hopefully rule-out this diagnosis. For those whose spouses suffer from this form of dementia, how long did it take for symptoms to become regular - years? I am feeling lost and guilty for even considering that this could likely be happening to my husband.
Hello and welcome. I found this group when my Husband was diagnosed with FTD and it has helped enormously.
There are few dementia facilities in this area but the group has helped me to put ideas into practice and feel a bit more positive about our life.
My husband had always been a bit different and I believe he was on the Autistic Spectrum which explained his quirky ways. He is 7 years older than me and even tho he retired much later (69) he was finished with working a couple of years before me. I had encouraged him to learn to cook and he was able to make dinner for when I came home from work and do a bit of housework so that I didnt have to do it all.
When I did retire I gradually became aware of even more changes in behaviour. He was unable to plan things properly and diy which he had always done became a nightmare in that he would go and get the supplies to do a job but it then transpired that he'd forgotten to get x, y, z and a. b, & c. Gradually it became obvious something was going on as he had no empathy with anyone or anything and on one occasion he had given someone the postcode for a house we had lived in over 15 years previously. His mobility started to change and eventually I spoke with the GP and we arranged an appointment for him to go to. This in turn led to a scan and other tests and eventually led to a full Memory Clinic examination and a full diagnosis which he has never accepted.
Its been a long journey that we have been on and the changes are very gradual but quite definitely there and I am now beginning to think that we have been on the journey longer than I previously believed.
The lack of local facilities has been quite a shock but the support here is second to none.
Springfield