I just need answers

MissMollie

Jan 8, 2023
My OH has significant brain atrophy inconsistent with age, this is generalised not particular to a specific area of the brain. He’s been referred to young onset dementia service but appointment taking so long to come through and I’m left here constantly googling desperate for a glimmer of hope. How can you be positive about a progressive disease, I am a wreck. I thought he was just belligerent & annoying and didn’t care enough to listen to me anymore. I just didn’t know dementia affected people early 50’s. I wish I’d run away but I can’t now can I but I have lived this for 2+ years and I can’t contemplate how much worse it’s going to get. How do you cope each day?

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
@MissMollie, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's dementia at such a young age. It's a tragedy for both of you. There are other people in this forum who have experience of young onset dementia and I hope that they will be along soon with some advice.

In answer to the question in your final sentence, many people find that it's best not to think too far ahead but not everyone is able to do that. There is medication that might help (although nothing halts the disease), including medication which manages specific symptoms such as agitation, aggression, low mood and anxiety. It is possible to have good times after a diagnosis of dementia but the future that had been assumed is irrevocably changed.

Do you have friends and family to support you? You will always find support on this forum from people who have experience of dementia. Please keep posting for support and advice.

MissMollie

Jan 8, 2023
@MissMollie, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's dementia at such a young age. It's a tragedy for both of you. There are other people in this forum who have experience of young onset dementia and I hope that they will be along soon with some advice.

In answer to the question in your final sentence, many people find that it's best not to think too far ahead but not everyone is able to do that. There is medication that might help (although nothing halts the disease), including medication which manages specific symptoms such as agitation, aggression, low mood and anxiety. It is possible to have good times after a diagnosis of dementia but the future that had been assumed is irrevocably changed.

Do you have friends and family to support you? You will always find support on this forum from people who have experience of dementia. Please keep posting for support and advice.
Thanks for replying, it’s good to hear that meditations might be available.
Once we have been to young onset service I may feel less hopeless.
I’m lucky that yes I have plenty family and friends checking in on us but everyone asks what is the diagnosis and prognosis, questions I have too but don’t have the answers.
I really hope I can feel more supportive soon because at the moment I know I’m all consumed about how horrific and lonely this is for me and that’s awful isn’t it.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @MissMollie.

I’m so sorry to hear about your husband’s dementia. It really is heartbreaking.

As has already been said here it really is best to try not to look to far into the future. I know that’s easier said than done though. I’m glad you’ve found this forum I know you will get lots of support and understanding here.

There might be something of help to you here -