I feel like I have reached the bottom and I'm still digging

cerridwen

Dec 29, 2012
Gloucestershire
Hello all,

I post on here from time to time, when things get too much. I read other people's posts too, so I know that some of you have situations that are much more difficult than mine. It's just that I don't know where to turn at the moment. I feel so unwell, so emotionally exhausted with everything that has gone on this year. My Mum died in June; although she was terminally ill with cancer she was doing well on treatment and she collapsed and died suddenly whilst I was on holiday with my husband. My Dad, who has moderate dementia, is still at his own home and has a SS care package. It has been such a struggle to get the care he needs. He is fully funded by SS and I have been fighting and fighting since Mum's death to get the care he needs. Even though his Dementia nurse is on board and has been great in pushing SS, the full package is still not in place yet and I have made a formal complaint. You wont be surprised to hear that it's all down to money. I have been filling in providing care and I work full time and I realize I have overstretched myself, big time. Even before she died my Mum was very demanding and needy and I feel like everything has been squeezed out of me by this situation, which has been going on since she was diagnosed two years ago.
I have been having stomach problems (GP says its IBS and acid reflux) since Mum died, I feel very thin skinned and am crying a lot at the slightest minor concern. It has put a strain on my marriage too, my husband has a stressful job and is tired and low at the moment too and says he can't cope with the way I am right now. He's never been particularly good on practical care or support and tends to withdraw if I am needing him; he has withdrawn from me a bit at the moment, although he says he knows its been a difficult year for both of us and that he loves me and want us to be happy. No pressure then! We have been married 16 years. He hasn't given me any help with Mum's funeral or Dad's care, I've done everything myself. I am an only child and have no other family in the area where we live. I tend to rush around and I have a tendency to be anxious sometimes when I am overstretched but its nothing like what I am feeling at the moment. I am seeing a therapist and she says she thinks I am tired, exhausted, grieving both parents and have not been getting the support I need to cope. I have been trying to support my husband too and I think I have emptied my tank with everything. I feel so lonely and isolated. I feel guilty for damaging my marriage, guilty at not being able to help Dad as I would like and guilty for not being able to cope. I don't want to burden my friends, who all live in other parts of the UK, and my husband cannot be there for me emotionally. He just does not understand what it's like to be anxious and have panic attacks. I think I have just about reached the end of my tether.
I am so sorry to post this gloomy piece, but I know some of you will understand. I could do with some practical advice. I know the problem is caused by the type of person I am (stressy, anxiety tendencies) but you have to make the best of the person you are, don't you? I used to do that but I don't know whether I have any best bits of me left.
Jayne

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Hmmm. This is a tall order. One parent has died and the remaining one has dementia. Husband has had enough emoting and is backing off. You are working full time and feeling drained. D'you know what? You are normal. Who would not feel bad with all that going on.

What can you do to feel better is what needs to be addressed and that very much depends on you. Some kind of exercise and fresh air would be my starting point. My daughter stress busts on her bicycle and I can see how much good it does her. I swim. Others join rambling clubs or just get out and walk.

If you are more cerebral then there is a lot of good theatre on at present and excellent radio and TV documentaries as well as good quality newspapers but you really need to do something where you meet other people to give young fresh perspective on your life.

I would forget about support and really address how you can sort out a better approach to enjoying life. Others will come along here and give you some ideas.

pony-mad

May 23, 2014
Mid-Wales
I agree with everything Marianq has said.

My outlet is anything physical that absorbs you totally. Swimming is great for that.

Hope you find some answers. Don't let tiredness stop you. When you are as fatigued as you are it can energise you!!!!

All the best X

Sammyjo1

Jul 8, 2014
I sounds like all your energy and emotions have been completely drained which is perfectly understandable in the circumstances. It must be so difficult to be doing everything with so little support.

Have you thought about contacting Samaritans and talking to them about how you are feeling? They won't be able to offer advice but they should be able to give you emotional support. Their number is 08457 909090 or you can email them at jo@samaritans.org

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hello all,

I post on here from time to time, when things get too much. I read other people's posts too, so I know that some of you have situations that are much more difficult than mine. It's just that I don't know where to turn at the moment. I feel so unwell, so emotionally exhausted with everything that has gone on this year. My Mum died in June; although she was terminally ill with cancer she was doing well on treatment and she collapsed and died suddenly whilst I was on holiday with my husband. My Dad, who has moderate dementia, is still at his own home and has a SS care package. It has been such a struggle to get the care he needs. He is fully funded by SS and I have been fighting and fighting since Mum's death to get the care he needs. Even though his Dementia nurse is on board and has been great in pushing SS, the full package is still not in place yet and I have made a formal complaint. You wont be surprised to hear that it's all down to money. I have been filling in providing care and I work full time and I realize I have overstretched myself, big time. Even before she died my Mum was very demanding and needy and I feel like everything has been squeezed out of me by this situation, which has been going on since she was diagnosed two years ago.
I have been having stomach problems (GP says its IBS and acid reflux) since Mum died, I feel very thin skinned and am crying a lot at the slightest minor concern. It has put a strain on my marriage too, my husband has a stressful job and is tired and low at the moment too and says he can't cope with the way I am right now. He's never been particularly good on practical care or support and tends to withdraw if I am needing him; he has withdrawn from me a bit at the moment, although he says he knows its been a difficult year for both of us and that he loves me and want us to be happy. No pressure then! We have been married 16 years. He hasn't given me any help with Mum's funeral or Dad's care, I've done everything myself. I am an only child and have no other family in the area where we live. I tend to rush around and I have a tendency to be anxious sometimes when I am overstretched but its nothing like what I am feeling at the moment. I am seeing a therapist and she says she thinks I am tired, exhausted, grieving both parents and have not been getting the support I need to cope. I have been trying to support my husband too and I think I have emptied my tank with everything. I feel so lonely and isolated. I feel guilty for damaging my marriage, guilty at not being able to help Dad as I would like and guilty for not being able to cope. I don't want to burden my friends, who all live in other parts of the UK, and my husband cannot be there for me emotionally. He just does not understand what it's like to be anxious and have panic attacks. I think I have just about reached the end of my tether.
I am so sorry to post this gloomy piece, but I know some of you will understand. I could do with some practical advice. I know the problem is caused by the type of person I am (stressy, anxiety tendencies) but you have to make the best of the person you are, don't you? I used to do that but I don't know whether I have any best bits of me left.
Jayne

Hi cerridwen
Im sorry youve hit your brick wall so to speak..I know exactly what you mean!..my oh is supportive to a degree but ends up in a state over it all...then I have another person to look after emotionally...I now think twice about asking him ...I am not an only child eventhough it feels like it sometime...I wish I could shrug off the dramas..and not have to deal with the horrible stuff....im trying to be everything to everyone....whose doing it for me???
The more you do for your loved one the less the ss do for you and them...my dad has dlb and is my mums carer..and shes in denial of his struggling limits of ability!

To blow cobwebs away I go the local windy seaside have a windy cuppa and let the waves blow it all away!..it comes back eventually..but for that short period its all about me!..

I feel so strongly that the true picture of the support thats there on paper but not offered to us is ignored or maybe just not known by the powers that be...for them it is sufficient that its available on paper..for us it needs to physically happening and sometimes the two are poles appart..
Im not saying that there isnt help given to people and good services out there...just if your a carer of a loved one unpaid.. and tired...your told their lucky theyve got you...and then go to the bottom of the paper list!...this was said to me by the ss...its about money and as my dad has me and im pretty much coping..then the help gets offered elsewhere!
As if we d walk away!!!
Easier said than done but do something little for yourself even if its 5 mins for coffee in coffee shop...best wishes

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
Hello Carridwen, so wonder you are stressed out love as you have had a lot be be anxious about recently. First losing you Mum and being wrung out by her needs before she passed. Being an only child and having no-one to share the burden. Having a father with AD and all the associated worry.

So, what to do. First of all panic attacks. I have had them and they are terrible and terrifying. Deep breathing when they start. I focus on a shape in my mind, usually a square. Breathe on count 1, hold count 2, out count 3 hold count 4. In your mind draw along the side of the square as you breath. As you get used to this pattern add a colour and a temperature. I start of white and cold and it gets redder and hotter as I count. Do all this and you forget you are having the panic attack. Just start with the deep breaths and counting and try to empty your mind.

Next. Stop trying to be perfect and save the world. You are doing your best for your Dad and that is already the world. Think risk - what is the worse that can happen. For me, Mum falls during the night and cant get up. She would not be found till next morning. At the moment a medium risk but I am looking at more frequent check on her during the day, and have the alert button for at night. This is the best I can do to manage the risk. She wants to be home so home she stays until the risk is too high.

Next. Exercise is good but also find something to make you laugh. Your favourite comedian, funny film, TV series. You will feel better if you can laugh.

Next. Lean on people. A support group or friends near you would be a great help. I find this forum a life saver as it helps me get my head ready for the next steps ahead.

You are not alone. We are all here ready to listen. You are doing a very hard job on your own. If your husband cant listen we can.
Thinking of you and sending you strength and love:)

Last edited:

cerridwen

Dec 29, 2012
Gloucestershire
Thanks everyone. it's comforting to know that what I am feeling is normal. I was starting to think I was going crazy....... I kept thinking it's been six months now since Mum died so I should be feeling better but I haven't given myself time to grieve properly because I have been Busy Busy with Dad. Perhaps too busy.......
I also heard a strong message that I need to do something to care for myself so thank you for the ideas. I know my husband only tries to help by saying "I thought you were coping so well at first but this is a complete disaster and I just want us to have som happy times" but it only puts more pressure on me. I need to take my foot off the brake,

Thank you xxxx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
The best way to look at it is that you and your husband don't know what lies ahead for yourselves so you must get as much out of life while you can. Guilt is a waste of time. It achieves nothing. Concentrate on what you can do rather than all the other dross. Balancing our responsibility to others with looking after ourselves is the trick that all carers must learn.

Good wishes,

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Tell SS you can't look after a Dad any more and they must take responsibility for a vulnerable adult. It's no good you collapsing, you have a marriage to think about.
I look after OH and got to a point where I had to have a break, and it did me a power of good. It wasn't till some time afterwards that I realised just how bad I gad got.
Good luck

Cag34

Nov 30, 2014
LOUTH LINCOLNSHIRE
My thoughts are with you....I too don t deal well with stress/ demands on long term basis.. but what you ve been through/are going through, quite a normal response....There has to be some point when you are free just to relax, let someone else take over, but I know from my own experience it's not possible...unless you get away completely physically with the knowledge that someone will be doing what you re doing/have done.And it s never really possible without siblings other family members who never seem to be there.
People saying...relax, have a massage, have a day out etc etc doesn t help!
With you mate.Keep on in there...but dont beat yourself .
x

cerridwen

Dec 29, 2012
Gloucestershire
Thanks for the support, everyone, some really good suggestions.
I have put a complaint in to SS about having to wait nearly three months for a reassessment of care needs when Dad's Community Dementia Nurse told them it was really urgent and I was on the verge of collapsing under the strain. The complaint will now get lost in the complex, incomprehensible processes that seem to pass for the SS system in Gloucestershire.
Yes, it is hard when you have no family support. When Mum died I got a lot of support from the extended family; phone calls, offers of help etc. After the funeral - they all disappeared! Don't have anyone there, now, except husband, who doesn't help through lack of time.