I feel like I am plaiting fog sometimes

Teanosugar

Apr 28, 2012
Stockport
Hi I am new to this forum and would just like to get things off my chest. I am an only child, late 50s and after my mother died in 2004 I had to become more involved with my dad. At first he seemed to cope ok, then about 5 years ago I noticed silly little things happening. My dad at this point was still driving his mobility car, and one day we went out in his car, and he did several things I considered dangerous, having been a fabulous driver before. When he opened his car door onto a cyclist I decided that was enough,took over driving as I was his appointed driver, and made an appointment with his doctor. I told the doctor everything, he called dad in for an assessment ( I took him) and informed him at that point (dad was 78 then) that he had failed the memory tests, and that the GP would be informing the DVLA he was no longer fit to drive. Dad was devastated but said rather than have his licence taken away, he would contact them himself and voluntarily give it up, which we did that day. I heaved a great sigh of relief, not just for dad, but for the innocent people he could have maimed or killed. I have absolutely no regret in doing this, and cannot understand why people are struggling with this. What if your loved ones kill somebody and you didnt act, I felt I had a duty of care to the general public as well as my dad.

I then became dads taxi service to take him to appointments and shopping, which was hard as I work full time, but we worked things out and it all ticked over reasonably smoothly until 2009 when dad became increasingly confused and was starting to make simple mistakes and forget a lot more. At this point we consulted his doctor who said it was just old age, so I carried on as before. In November 2010 my dad displayed symptoms of a mild stroke, so I drove him to casualty, (he refused an ambulance in past even when having a heart attack!) and they did all the tests and agreed it looked like TIA's and he was admitted. Dad was in hospital for 10 days, he was falling, slurring his words a bit, and really not himself BUT they were quite happy to send him home knowing he lived alone in an upstairs flat with no lift. We were given a hospital social worker and home he came, I took some time unpaid off work, and set to trying to get dad a move into a downstairs flat. After 3 weeks the social worker was very abrupt with me because I phoned him 3 times a week to see if any progress was being made, in this time he did not bother to come to see dad in his circumstances and dad could only get up and down stairs now with me helping him, pushing him up from behind and walking backwards down in front of him. Dad had a permanently dropped foot after his hospital stay, and to this day it has not changed, he stumbles a lot. Eventually I snapped and informed the social worker I thought he was negligent in his duty of care and insisted he handed us over early to social workers in elderly care in community. Am I glad I did this, I was appointed a social worker, who came out within 2 days to see dad, and she took one look at dads flight of 14 concrete stairs, and another at him, and said this is disgusting, your dad is a prisoner in here! We had an offer of a flat in an extra care housing scheme within 2 weeks, which of course we took. Dad has lived in this place in a 2nd floor flat with a lift since December 2010. We have a package of care which is mornings and evenings to dispense dads meds which are now locked up due to his accidentally forgetting he had taken meds and taking 3 doses in one day. Dad has a history of heart attacks, angina and a previous broken back so in a lot of pain at times. After a few months and seeing a gradual decline, I asked for a mental health assessment, and eventually we got the diagnosis of vascular dementia, and I was told at some point dad might not know me. Dad is forgetting lots of people, having anxiety attacks and has now been prescribed a sedative to take for when he is struggling. He is now having hallucinations and has 3 times been looking for mum and when I remind him mum died, he cries, then shouts at me for not telling him, though he was there with me when she died. I am finding this the worst, to keep having to help him grieve is awful, luckily he seems to remember within a couple of days. I get constant phone calls, usually about what day is it, and why havent I come round sometimes getting morning and night wrong and it is wearing me down. Apart from carers I have no help, and they dont seem to follow dads care plan properly. I looked into being his carer, but am sorry, I cannot afford to give up 3 days work a week and lose so much money to get £55 a week back for caring for dad. I am not being selfish, I simply cannot afford to pay my bills so must work. Dad loses money, or is duped, I cant prove anything, so have taken over his finances for him, paying all bills, being on account so I can access money for him from cash machines as he cannot do the pin number thing, or even simple banking now. Recently I have been diagnosed with psoriasis, never had this in my life, my doctor says it is due to stress, my company recently asked me how long would this go on that I would need to have unpaid time off for dads appointments and when he is in distress, and I lost it and answered when he dies!!! To explain I am a carer myself, and have been for 19 years, and thought better of a caring company not understanding my predicament. Dad is lucky with finances, having been awarded mobility many years before due to ill health, he now gets the higher component and extra pension credit so is spot on with money, but will he spend it???? NO!!!! I have now employed a PA for dad to lighten my load and take him out while I am at work, and a cleaner to save me doing this, as I do have my own home to clean, work full time, and support a step son with scizophrenia, no wonder am stressed lol. I have had some problems with his carers not following the care plan, and it really upsets me, because the time they are given to do these things, is in excess of the time it takes, so there is no excuse. At first they resented me, so I had a meeting with their manager, and explained that I was a carer, I knew that a care plan was a legal document, and that I would not tolerate the care plan not being adhered to without taking it further. Result is I now have direct email to manager, and report things directly to her, as carers seems to change. There are some good ones, and they have learned that I am not an ogre, but I am my dads advocate and will make sure he gets everything he is entitled to, and wont accept **** carers. I did actually tell them at one point I would employ my own team, and that didnt go down well as a big company and social services use them a lot. I have regular meetings with social workers (who change all the time) care managers, dads warden who is only there day times and weekdays but really gets on with dad and helps him a lot. I now am struggling with getting him to pay for things, so have had to tell him everybody is a volunteer and pay them direct from his account, lol the things you do to keep the peace. He pretended to be out when his chiropodist came recently, as he didnt want to pay her, so I am now paying that direct and she is another volunteer!!!! Dad is very mixed up, slurs his words at times and he does not drink, it is the TIAs but I have taken the decision to let nature take its course, as dad has said many times he has had enough, and has mentioned suicide but then says but I wont do it because the insurance wont pay out! Dad loses things, so I have had to remove all important documents and store them at home, as one day they will be needed. Sorry to have gone on, it has helped writing this all down, but main thing is, do other people feel so angry sometimes when the phone keeps ringing, you have to drop things and go round to sort out yet again, his tv is up the creek, because he has the wrong page open on tv mag, or even next weeks mag? I even unplugged my house phone and turned off my mobile the other night because I had been 3 times that evening, and just couldnt cope with any more. IT is not dads fault, he cant remember doing these things, he just seems to retreat a little more each day into confusion, and I feel so bad for him. I have done everything the OTs told me to, he has a memory board, his date is put onto it each day, he is reminded every morning what day it is, but I do not know how much more I will be able to do, as I need to have some life myself. Went on holiday recently and came back psoriasis free, relaxed, only back a couple of hours and went to dads and I felt as bad as before. I love the dad I had, but this dad I have now, feels like my child? Do others feel so guilty like me? Teanosugar

Isabella41

Feb 20, 2012
Northern Ireland
Hi teanosugar,
I'm an only child and mum has dementia. She was only formally diagnosed a few months back but started to show signs a number of years ago. In the last 6 months she has deteriorated quite rapidly.

Like you I have no choice but to work. I work full time. I have quite poor health and some days its a struggle to get out of bed as i'm in so much pain.

Alot of what you describe - phone calls all the time, refusal to spend money, dangerous behaviour etc. I've been there. £000's went missing before I realised what was happening as mum was covering things up. Eventually it all got too much for me. I was taking time off work every week and trying to run 2 houses.
Mum is now in a lovely EMI home. She's not exactly happy about this but its safe. She's fed, clean and well looked after. I ended up having to make a decision in a crisis suituation. I would advise everyone to look at care homes as soon as you know there is a possibilty you might need one for your relative. This way you can visit loads and think things over.
Do you think in your own suituation the time for a care home for your dad is coming close. The last thing you probably want is to loose your own job and if you keep having to take time off for your dad's appointments it could cost you your job. Sorry if that's blunt but I was doing the same thing and I know my bosses were loosing patience.
Its hard enough caring for someone with dementia when you have family support but its like climbing a cliff face everyday when there's only you to carry all the burden.

Isabella

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Phew!!!

May I first welcome you to TP but sorry you have had to find us.
It seems to me you have been coping with dad in an amazing way.

Just a few points I want to try to help with.....

1) do you have power of attorney (POA) for your dad? If not may I suggest you get this sorted as soon as possible.

2) I find white lies are useful when answering some of mums questions - it saves her going through the upset of "remembering" that someone has died etc

3) compassionate communication - can be impossible to do sometimes, but it can help - will find a link to the fact sheet.

4) As I understand it, if you don't shout/make a nuisance of your self, social services don't listen - he who shouts loudest gets heard - not ideal, but many peoples experience.

5) it is a well understood (on here) that there is always a denial that anything is wrong with the person and that they don't need any help - so difficult to deal with - this is where I use the white lies and say the cleaner (who ever) is coming in to help me.

6) keep posting - we are a great bunch of people in here who totally understand how you feel, can offer support, advice, a listening ear, laughter and a special friendship.

Thinking of you

Compassionate Communication link
http://www.agelessdesign.com/Librar...B41382B}&InfoGroup=Main&InfoType=Article&SP=2

Last edited:

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Welcome Teanosugar

I am sorry to read your reasons for seeking out this forum but it is a great place to offload stress/worries and also to get advice.

You seem to be really going throught it and for that I am sorry again.

Dementia is a progressive disease and many carers on this forum have experienced what you have written. Unfortunately the care needed increases as the disease gets ahold.

My mother who is 97 with severe dementia has a phrase "she's the adult and I'm the child" which she will say to anyone who will listen on a regular basis. Unfortunately in lots of ways like yourself the table have turned and hard as that may be I continue to ensure my mother has the best possible care & attention - something I am sure you will also do no matter how hard. If things are getting too much you should ask for more help.

As I dont really know what to say to you by way of help I just wanted to let you know you are not alone and I am sure others will be along to offer better advice.

Wishing you all the best.

Hi I am new to this forum and would just like to get things off my chest. I am an only child, late 50s and after my mother died in 2004 I had to become more involved with my dad. At first he seemed to cope ok, then about 5 years ago I noticed silly little things happening. My dad at this point was still driving his mobility car, and one day we went out in his car, and he did several things I considered dangerous, having been a fabulous driver before. When he opened his car door onto a cyclist I decided that was enough,took over driving as I was his appointed driver, and made an appointment with his doctor. I told the doctor everything, he called dad in for an assessment ( I took him) and informed him at that point (dad was 78 then) that he had failed the memory tests, and that the GP would be informing the DVLA he was no longer fit to drive. Dad was devastated but said rather than have his licence taken away, he would contact them himself and voluntarily give it up, which we did that day. I heaved a great sigh of relief, not just for dad, but for the innocent people he could have maimed or killed. I have absolutely no regret in doing this, and cannot understand why people are struggling with this. What if your loved ones kill somebody and you didnt act, I felt I had a duty of care to the general public as well as my dad.

I then became dads taxi service to take him to appointments and shopping, which was hard as I work full time, but we worked things out and it all ticked over reasonably smoothly until 2009 when dad became increasingly confused and was starting to make simple mistakes and forget a lot more. At this point we consulted his doctor who said it was just old age, so I carried on as before. In November 2010 my dad displayed symptoms of a mild stroke, so I drove him to casualty, (he refused an ambulance in past even when having a heart attack!) and they did all the tests and agreed it looked like TIA's and he was admitted. Dad was in hospital for 10 days, he was falling, slurring his words a bit, and really not himself BUT they were quite happy to send him home knowing he lived alone in an upstairs flat with no lift. We were given a hospital social worker and home he came, I took some time unpaid off work, and set to trying to get dad a move into a downstairs flat. After 3 weeks the social worker was very abrupt with me because I phoned him 3 times a week to see if any progress was being made, in this time he did not bother to come to see dad in his circumstances and dad could only get up and down stairs now with me helping him, pushing him up from behind and walking backwards down in front of him. Dad had a permanently dropped foot after his hospital stay, and to this day it has not changed, he stumbles a lot. Eventually I snapped and informed the social worker I thought he was negligent in his duty of care and insisted he handed us over early to social workers in elderly care in community. Am I glad I did this, I was appointed a social worker, who came out within 2 days to see dad, and she took one look at dads flight of 14 concrete stairs, and another at him, and said this is disgusting, your dad is a prisoner in here! We had an offer of a flat in an extra care housing scheme within 2 weeks, which of course we took. Dad has lived in this place in a 2nd floor flat with a lift since December 2010. We have a package of care which is mornings and evenings to dispense dads meds which are now locked up due to his accidentally forgetting he had taken meds and taking 3 doses in one day. Dad has a history of heart attacks, angina and a previous broken back so in a lot of pain at times. After a few months and seeing a gradual decline, I asked for a mental health assessment, and eventually we got the diagnosis of vascular dementia, and I was told at some point dad might not know me. Dad is forgetting lots of people, having anxiety attacks and has now been prescribed a sedative to take for when he is struggling. He is now having hallucinations and has 3 times been looking for mum and when I remind him mum died, he cries, then shouts at me for not telling him, though he was there with me when she died. I am finding this the worst, to keep having to help him grieve is awful, luckily he seems to remember within a couple of days. I get constant phone calls, usually about what day is it, and why havent I come round sometimes getting morning and night wrong and it is wearing me down. Apart from carers I have no help, and they dont seem to follow dads care plan properly. I looked into being his carer, but am sorry, I cannot afford to give up 3 days work a week and lose so much money to get £55 a week back for caring for dad. I am not being selfish, I simply cannot afford to pay my bills so must work. Dad loses money, or is duped, I cant prove anything, so have taken over his finances for him, paying all bills, being on account so I can access money for him from cash machines as he cannot do the pin number thing, or even simple banking now. Recently I have been diagnosed with psoriasis, never had this in my life, my doctor says it is due to stress, my company recently asked me how long would this go on that I would need to have unpaid time off for dads appointments and when he is in distress, and I lost it and answered when he dies!!! To explain I am a carer myself, and have been for 19 years, and thought better of a caring company not understanding my predicament. Dad is lucky with finances, having been awarded mobility many years before due to ill health, he now gets the higher component and extra pension credit so is spot on with money, but will he spend it???? NO!!!! I have now employed a PA for dad to lighten my load and take him out while I am at work, and a cleaner to save me doing this, as I do have my own home to clean, work full time, and support a step son with scizophrenia, no wonder am stressed lol. I have had some problems with his carers not following the care plan, and it really upsets me, because the time they are given to do these things, is in excess of the time it takes, so there is no excuse. At first they resented me, so I had a meeting with their manager, and explained that I was a carer, I knew that a care plan was a legal document, and that I would not tolerate the care plan not being adhered to without taking it further. Result is I now have direct email to manager, and report things directly to her, as carers seems to change. There are some good ones, and they have learned that I am not an ogre, but I am my dads advocate and will make sure he gets everything he is entitled to, and wont accept **** carers. I did actually tell them at one point I would employ my own team, and that didnt go down well as a big company and social services use them a lot. I have regular meetings with social workers (who change all the time) care managers, dads warden who is only there day times and weekdays but really gets on with dad and helps him a lot. I now am struggling with getting him to pay for things, so have had to tell him everybody is a volunteer and pay them direct from his account, lol the things you do to keep the peace. He pretended to be out when his chiropodist came recently, as he didnt want to pay her, so I am now paying that direct and she is another volunteer!!!! Dad is very mixed up, slurs his words at times and he does not drink, it is the TIAs but I have taken the decision to let nature take its course, as dad has said many times he has had enough, and has mentioned suicide but then says but I wont do it because the insurance wont pay out! Dad loses things, so I have had to remove all important documents and store them at home, as one day they will be needed. Sorry to have gone on, it has helped writing this all down, but main thing is, do other people feel so angry sometimes when the phone keeps ringing, you have to drop things and go round to sort out yet again, his tv is up the creek, because he has the wrong page open on tv mag, or even next weeks mag? I even unplugged my house phone and turned off my mobile the other night because I had been 3 times that evening, and just couldnt cope with any more. IT is not dads fault, he cant remember doing these things, he just seems to retreat a little more each day into confusion, and I feel so bad for him. I have done everything the OTs told me to, he has a memory board, his date is put onto it each day, he is reminded every morning what day it is, but I do not know how much more I will be able to do, as I need to have some life myself. Went on holiday recently and came back psoriasis free, relaxed, only back a couple of hours and went to dads and I felt as bad as before. I love the dad I had, but this dad I have now, feels like my child? Do others feel so guilty like me? Teanosugar

SWMBO1950

Nov 17, 2011
Essex
Here Here 2Jays :)

Phew!!!

May I first welcome you to TP but sorry you have had to find us.
It seems to me you have been coping with dad in an amazing way.

Just a few points I want to try to help with.....

1) do you have power of attorney (POA) for your dad? If not may I suggest you get this sorted as soon as possible.

2) I find white lies are useful when answering some of mums questions - it saves her going through the upset of "remembering" that someone has died etc

3) compassionate communication - can be impossible to do sometimes, but it can help - will find a link to the fact sheet.

4) As I understand it, if you don't shout/make a nuisance of your self, social services don't listen - he who shouts loudest gets heard - not ideal, but many peoples experience.

5) it is a well understood (on here) that there is always a denial that anything is wrong with the person and that they don't need any help - so difficult to deal with - this is where I use the white lies and say the cleaner (who ever) is coming in to help me.

6) keep posting - we are a great bunch of people in here who totally understand how you feel, can offer support, advice, a listening ear, laughter and a special friendship.

Thinking of you

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Hi again - I forgot to mention that if you are a carer for someone with dementia as I understand it, your employer has to take this into consideration when you ask for time off work just like they have to "allow" you to go to dentist appointments etc - there is something on here about it, but for the life of me can't find it - hopefully someone who knows how to find the fact sheet - or who can let you know how to get the info - will be along when they can.

Teanosugar

Apr 28, 2012
Stockport
Hi again - I forgot to mention that if you are a carer for someone with dementia as I understand it, your employer has to take this into consideration when you ask for time off work just like they have to "allow" you to go to dentist appointments etc - there is something on here about it, but for the life of me can't find it - hopefully someone who knows how to find the fact sheet - or who can let you know how to get the info - will be along when they can.

Thankyou, yes I know they have to, and they do, but one manager was being sarcy, as I had 2 appointments in a week and had two afternoons off, without pay! They do let me off, and 99% of them are very supportive, just one who was not nice about it, and I did go over her head and mention I had rights, as does my dad, and that as an organisation (a large charity) whos primary function is care, that is was not very empathic! Just venting I think, maybe another vodka would help as my phone is off again, handed over to carers on duty overnight and said, Im not contactable until morning!

Teanosugar

Apr 28, 2012
Stockport
Here Here 2Jays :)
THanks for reply, I was told I would not need power of attorney as I am an only child, and I am now on dads bank account as joint account holder, so I can sort all his money out for him. Maybe I should look into what power of attorney does, I have had them put DNR on dads medical notes, as he has told me in lucid moments this is what he wishes, and he even recently gave me instructions of what he wanted for a funeral - which is a very bizarre no flowers of any shape or kind as they only make a florist rich, and that he wants his grandsons to send his cap round the no religious service as he doesnt do god bothering lol (his words) and ask them to dig deep for local childrens hospice he used to fund raise for. I love dads lucid days - but they dont happen as often now:( Really feels good being able to talk about it, as I know my husband is probably fed up of me bleating on lol.

Teanosugar

Apr 28, 2012
Stockport
Hi teanosugar,
I'm an only child and mum has dementia. She was only formally diagnosed a few months back but started to show signs a number of years ago. In the last 6 months she has deteriorated quite rapidly.

Like you I have no choice but to work. I work full time. I have quite poor health and some days its a struggle to get out of bed as i'm in so much pain.

Alot of what you describe - phone calls all the time, refusal to spend money, dangerous behaviour etc. I've been there. £000's went missing before I realised what was happening as mum was covering things up. Eventually it all got too much for me. I was taking time off work every week and trying to run 2 houses.
Mum is now in a lovely EMI home. She's not exactly happy about this but its safe. She's fed, clean and well looked after. I ended up having to make a decision in a crisis suituation. I would advise everyone to look at care homes as soon as you know there is a possibilty you might need one for your relative. This way you can visit loads and think things over.
Do you think in your own suituation the time for a care home for your dad is coming close. The last thing you probably want is to loose your own job and if you keep having to take time off for your dad's appointments it could cost you your job. Sorry if that's blunt but I was doing the same thing and I know my bosses were loosing patience.
Its hard enough caring for someone with dementia when you have family support but its like climbing a cliff face everyday when there's only you to carry all the burden.

Isabella

I recently had a meeting with all dads care team including social worker and broached the care home idea, and was told as dad is in extra care and NHS funded they would simply put in more care hours, and they would put in sensors if he wandered out of the building, he hasnt yet, but wanders round the community building at odd hours looking for people! They said if I wanted a care home now, we would have to fund it, but when the time comes, they will fully support me in the quest to find the right place, and I have to say, I did feel they were being supportive in saying this, they awarded more care hours, and also gave care manager an emergency code that she can get even more hours when needed. I think the fact that I work in care and have done for 19 years helps us get more though and am sure some get a loss less!!!! Thanks for reply, it is really good to talk about this to somebody who understands and when the time comes I will happily let dad go into care for his safety and my sanity, as dad did the same with his mother many years back.

Teanosugar

Apr 28, 2012
Stockport
Welcome Teanosugar

I am sorry to read your reasons for seeking out this forum but it is a great place to offload stress/worries and also to get advice.

You seem to be really going throught it and for that I am sorry again.

Dementia is a progressive disease and many carers on this forum have experienced what you have written. Unfortunately the care needed increases as the disease gets ahold.

My mother who is 97 with severe dementia has a phrase "she's the adult and I'm the child" which she will say to anyone who will listen on a regular basis. Unfortunately in lots of ways like yourself the table have turned and hard as that may be I continue to ensure my mother has the best possible care & attention - something I am sure you will also do no matter how hard. If things are getting too much you should ask for more help.

As I dont really know what to say to you by way of help I just wanted to let you know you are not alone and I am sure others will be along to offer better advice.

Wishing you all the best.
THankyou for reply, it really helps to speak to people in the same boat so to speak, some days I can laugh things off and remember the good times, others I feel like banging my head against something very hard lol.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
THanks for reply, I was told I would not need power of attorney as I am an only child,

Who ever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. It is especially important that you get POA for finances, as the banks WILL NOT deal with you without one.

And when it comes to the welfare part, alledgedly, some social workers will not speak to you unless you do have POA even if you are the next of kin.

Teanosugar

Apr 28, 2012
Stockport
Who ever told you that doesn't know what they are talking about. It is especially important that you get POA for finances, as the banks WILL NOT deal with you without one.

And when it comes to the welfare part, alledgedly, some social workers will not speak to you unless you do have POA even if you are the next of kin.

I already deal with the bank, my name is on the account as joint account holder, and all dealings with social services are through me, but I will take advice to see if there is any other reason I need power of attorney, thanks for advice.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
Although nothing about this illness is pleasant, I'd just like to add that the year or two leading up to the decision to put a parent into care is probably the worst time. It does get better once that decision has been made.

OK, they might not settle readily but even then, the relief experienced by the carer and their family is huge once they know that their loved one is safe and the burden of care has been shouldered by others.

I admire you for carrying on looking after your dad so well, but do remember the decision isn't just about what's best for him; you and your family's needs are every bit as important and from what you've said about your dad, he'd probably agree. We all wish you well :)

Teanosugar

Apr 28, 2012
Stockport
Although nothing about this illness is pleasant, I'd just like to add that the year or two leading up to the decision to put a parent into care is probably the worst time. It does get better once that decision has been made.

OK, they might not settle readily but even then, the relief experienced by the carer and their family is huge once they know that their loved one is safe and the burden of care has been shouldered by others.

I admire you for carrying on looking after your dad so well, but do remember the decision isn't just about what's best for him; you and your family's needs are every bit as important and from what you've said about your dad, he'd probably agree. We all wish you well :)
Thankyou, I think myself the time is fast approaching for dad to be in a good care home but as he is funded with a care package from NHS they have told me he is not ready yet and they support people much worse than dad to have independence, and up to now he seems safe, just very confused and increasingly dependent for the slightest thing on me. If I choose to move dad into care now, they have told me they will not fund it, as they dont agree it is necessary yet, so I make sure every little thing he does, I phone them, email them, make them come over to use the banked hours they have, thus keeping them in the know so to speak. Though I am a carer myself of over 19 years it is with learning disabilities so I am a novice with dementia, as it is the opposite of what I normally do, where people are learning skills and my dad is losing skills. I have had to use indelible pen on his microwave now as he seems to not understand how to even open it, thus PULL is written on front, next week will be something else :(

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I can see you'll have to wait for the funding but I would suggest that you start doing your homework now and getting plans in place for when you have agreement. That way you're not making decisions in a crisis situation.

Go and look at the CHs in your area, more than once if necessary and get a feel for what might be suitable for your dad. That gives you a bit of control over the situation at least. And as others have said before, sometimes you just have to step back and let the crisis happen. It seems as though there are others, like the warden, looking out for your dad....perhaps you should let them. ;) They'll raise the alarm with SS far sooner than you as a family would.

fredsnail

Dec 21, 2008
We had to get POA to deal with the utility companies over the phone if there was a problem.

And later on when we had to start selling Premium Bonds and shares to fund his fees we had to use the POA.

frazzled1

Aug 25, 2011
london

Hi there,

I dont feel guilty about anything but i Do feel angry about the patheticness of the whole illness...watching someone who used to be in charge of hundreds of people now unable to think what day it is or put one foot in front of the other without agony. We feel sad that we cannot give them a better life cos we love them and know they deserve so much more out of life. But also recognise that stress in itself is a killer and NEVER feel guilty for taking respite or time out whenever you can. I think its shocking that employers get the hump with people asking for time off simply because they have caring duties but in the recession its only going to get worse. I took time off many years ago to care for my mum but i applied for a new job part time with half the hours and of course half the salary. also job sharing situations worked well for me in the past. So sorry to hear of your skin condition flaring up which is so obviously due to stress, great that it disappeared whilst you were on a holiday though, so maybe some sort of anti anxiety medication could keep your symptoms under control which you were under such pressure. I feel a bit guilty that i havent got a pension but sometimes i think with all the stress im under i will snuff it before i am 65 so i wont need to worry about that one anyway! Im proud to be a carer, that is for sure. Previous to that i wasnt working (at home with small children full time) and my family made me feel guilty as hell for that!! I know what you mean when you say that you feel like you are looking after a child. G , who i look after, must feel like a child himself actually as from time to time he says he doesnt want to go to Boarding school!!!! i.e.. CH

Teanosugar

Apr 28, 2012
Stockport
What a week!!!!

What a week!!! Not only did I have a virus for 2 days which wiped me out, I could not respond to dad except by phone which was very frustrating to say the least as he kept phoning back as had forgotten I will ill!!! The care team responded with more hours from the banked hours until I felt I was no longer infectious. What a difference a couple of days make not checking on dad does, he is very good at pulling the wool over the carers eyes, he can present himself as quite independent at times, they ask him if he has done certain things and he will answer with yes and no but often they are just words and dont represent reality, I just wish they would understand this. Anyway to digress this week dad kept phoning me asking me what a millilitre of water was, and he said he just needed to know, and I have now found out why!!!! He had been trying to mix his Movicol up in water, like he has done for years, always in half a cup of water, and he had mis read instructions and read it as a milli litre and had wasted several packets, the powder was spread all over his kitchen. He had destroyed the box with instructions so putting them into his meds safe would mean his carers could not give them as no pharmacist instructions so legally they cant do it, which I knew working in this field myself. He had also "lost" his paracetemol box for pain relief, but I was not worried as I knew he only had 6 tablets left as I had re ordered those. Cleared up, put all in bag, high tailed it to chemist who sorted me out with more movicol and paracetemol now in labelled boxes. I was back within 30 minutes and found a carer there, dad in a tizzy, it seemed while I was out he had over filled his kettle and drowned the whole system, which was now a risk from electrocution. Then found I could not fit it all into the safe now as small, so back out, new kettle system purchased, one of those Tefal one cup systems for safety and a new larger safe. Dad is now to have all his meds dispensed by carers except for leaving him 6 paracetemol out for him to use if in pain from his back, dad broke his back many years back and has significant pain from it. Doctor happy for him to have 6 out and if he takes them all in a day he wont get more until the next day, when carers will put out a few more for him. It came to light that dad says he now takes 3 movicol a day and can take 6 if constipated, when I asked him was he, he said no I go a lot!! Doctor said 6 movicol a day would most likely put him into hospital for re hydration but this instruction he insists he had read, is amazingly not there now. I am going to ask for another review as I feel dad is getting much worse, his blips seem more and more often, rather than occasional, and I made sure all this got documented by care team. All in all a quick visit became 6 hours running here and there and then having to sedate dad with his PRN meds because he was still in a tizzy. The next day I visited and he was calm and did not remember any of this - arghhhhhhhhhh. He then remembered a birthday he had missed for somebody I have never heard of and handed me £300 to give to them as a present, and as I have no idea who this person is I have just put it away safe to buy things for dad as he needs them, seemed easier after the problems to just take and not argue - am starting to wonder if it is worth explaining anything any more, or whether to just nod and agree as most likely next day it will be forgotten anyway. Any tips on this would be much appreciated. Thanks rant over, today I have phoned the care team, told them I am having today and tomorrow off to try to fit in the rest of my family and spend time with my grand daughter, but why do I feel so guilty doing this???

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teritaz333