I Cant Cope....

worriedson1

Jan 30, 2012
With our Garden..... and we have a BIIIIIGGGGGG garden! when i was a kid it took my dad and my uncle to do it! i can cope putting the weedkiller down but the garden is big , hedges are growning arrgh.

IS there anything wrong with hiring someone out the local paper to trim the hedges??.

I asked my good friend about this and he said to me "Who cares what other people think ,plenty of people use gardeners"

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
I agree with your friend, looking after your Mum is a full time job in itself, hire someone to do the garden, you will also be doing someone else a favour by providing employment.

Ange

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Hire somebody, but rather than looking in the local paper, ask around neighbours or ask someone who you see regularly doing work for neighbours.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Hide,

Ask yer SW if the council have a list of approved people/companies. Also, whoever you get to do the work, do NOT pay them in advance. Agree a price then pay them on completion. Don't forget to hire a skip to take away the waste and chuck out any rubbish lying around the house at the same time.

Fi

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I have had hired help in all summer doing things round the house that I suppose i could do but really can't get round to.

I have a suggestion which someone told me a few years ago and i find is very useful. If you need gardeners, cleaners, carpenters etc etc it is a good idea to look in a parish magazine from a local church. The magazine people at the church tend to hear back if someone they are advertising isn't any good, or rips you off, and then they don't put them in the magazine again - I do this for my dad because I don't know the people in his area.

I am not saying its a religion thing, it's a small community thing.

kingmidas1962

Jun 10, 2012
South Gloucs
Definitely get help in! As already said a recommendation is best as you'll have some idea of the person's expertise and experience. My mum and dad had a great gardener when dad become too old and poorly. He did a great job and kept things up to scratch for them.

meme

Aug 29, 2011
London
I found my mothers gardener at age uk's gardening scheme...see if they have this in your area...all the gardeners are checked by them and matched to your needs and the price is very good too..£12 an hour in my mothers area..a yearly membership is asked for (£35) but that means you can change gardeners if you wish and get another etc etc...

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Dundee City Council has a Trusted Traders scheme. I just googled it to check if gardeners are included and they are. There's a list if names and their contact details. Maybe your Council does the same WS.