I’m having such a difficult day

Tigro

Nov 12, 2021
Today has been a bit of a nightmare. For some days my husband thinks he’s got something on his hands and is constantly trying to get whatever he thinks it is, off his hands. It’s almost non stop. Also he can’t keep still, every few minutes he’s standing up or fidgeting in his chair. He was diagnosed some years ago now and the deterioration is fairly rapid. These latest issues are difficult to deal with, and I’ve dealt with a lot so far. I suppose I’m tired, and at a bit of a loss on how to keep going. Has anyone else had to deal with this.

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
Today has been a bit of a nightmare. For some days my husband thinks he’s got something on his hands and is constantly trying to get whatever he thinks it is, off his hands. It’s almost non stop. Also he can’t keep still, every few minutes he’s standing up or fidgeting in his chair. He was diagnosed some years ago now and the deterioration is fairly rapid. These latest issues are difficult to deal with, and I’ve dealt with a lot so far. I suppose I’m tired, and at a bit of a loss on how to keep going. Has anyone else had to deal with this.
💗 Hello

I haven't come across this personally but maybe it feels almost like hives perhaps? invisible ones at that but the mind sending those messages through . If it is non stop it must be exhausting?

My PWD tends to pick at their fingers/thumb but we go through phases of things , or cutting things up like tissues and alike. I concluded it might be boredom or anxiety or even just that feeling of you don't know what is wrong it is just'feeling' all wrong.

If there are no obvious medical things going on ie reactions to current medications or infection might be worth asking the GP? or I don't know if you have used the admiral nurse service through here but I have found them quite empathetic and they might be able to make other suggestions.

No doubt there will be others on the forum who will bob on and share their own advice/experiences in the meantime.

Tigro

Nov 12, 2021
💗 Hello

I haven't come across this personally but maybe it feels almost like hives perhaps? invisible ones at that but the mind sending those messages through . If it is non stop it must be exhausting?

My PWD tends to pick at their fingers/thumb but we go through phases of things , or cutting things up like tissues and alike. I concluded it might be boredom or anxiety or even just that feeling of you don't know what is wrong it is just'feeling' all wrong.

If there are no obvious medical things going on ie reactions to current medications or infection might be worth asking the GP? or I don't know if you have used the admiral nurse service through here but I have found them quite empathetic and they might be able to make other suggestions.

No doubt there will be others on the forum who will bob on and share their own advice/experiences in the meantime.
Thank you for your advice. You may be right on the problem being anxiety or boredom. He was in the fire service for 34 years, ran marathons and played golf from the age of 15 til his mid 70s so was a bit of an action man. I do worry that he’s bored but can’t seem to find anything to keep him interested. I’ve tried music, a memory book, lots of dementia “toys”, but nothing seems to work. In earlier stages he has been very anxious but we seem to have moved on from that. He’s been to Filo today and since home he hasn’t been moving his hands so that’s good. Last week he only had one day out so boredom could be the answer. I haven’t tried admiral nurses yet, although I’ve heard good things about them.

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
Thank you for your advice. You may be right on the problem being anxiety or boredom. He was in the fire service for 34 years, ran marathons and played golf from the age of 15 til his mid 70s so was a bit of an action man. I do worry that he’s bored but can’t seem to find anything to keep him interested. I’ve tried music, a memory book, lots of dementia “toys”, but nothing seems to work. In earlier stages he has been very anxious but we seem to have moved on from that. He’s been to Filo today and since home he hasn’t been moving his hands so that’s good. Last week he only had one day out so boredom could be the answer. I haven’t tried admiral nurses yet, although I’ve heard good things about them.
💗 It is quite possible in Dad's mind he is experiencing things we cannot see or know as well from his working life/social life.

My loved one is the same in terms of nothing takes his interest for more than a few minutes. He is in residential care now , the activities do not interest him, I feel it can be boredom and anxiety also impacts on mood generally. The only things that help are music and his usual tv programs with mobility being very poor as well now. He was into walking and the gym which of course are not possible as they once were and he was doing those more active things well into his early 70s.

If your Dad can go out and likes going out and that helps then maybe that is the way to go.

One thing I do know is everyone will be so very different with their dementia experience and we have to try and think of inventive ways to support that person for as long as we are able too.

The admiral nurses may not have all the answers but talking to someone who really is very empathetic and understanding really can help sometimes, makes you realise you are not alone so much.

I hope today is a good day for you and your Dad. ♥️