hypothetical question

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Thanks everyone

No I can talk, but it's like talking with broken glass under my tongue and I would rather not:D

Tom has gone to bed to listen to a talking book, but he keeps coming back to ask me if he has upset me .NOT YET..BUT SOON:eek:

Now I'm sounding sharp, told him I cannot shout, get his ass in here if he want me to answer.

Going to take more paracetamols in a while and go to bed for a read.

I can have wine tomorrow:cool: does that mean 00-05:confused:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Dear Helen

How is your mouth this morning? I do hope it is easier for you. I couldn`t stop thinking of having broken glass in my mouth, and a husband who couldn`t see gesture.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Thanks everyone..

Tongue sore, will keep up with the pain killers..

Fetching my brother from the airport today, what is the betting Tom will not like the journey if I will not chat:cool:

anyway I have great hopes of losing weight this week, me and food look like having a love hate relationship for a while:rolleyes:

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
OK all..

Another hypothetical question:rolleyes:

If someone with ad is diagnosed with a potentially life threatening illness, for which the treatment could be gruelling, where would you draw the line to continue treatment.

This question would only apply if the person concerned couldn't grasp why the treatment was necessary..

Over to you all for your input.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
It's difficult (duh). My feeling is - is the treatment painful, is the treatment possible, if you don't treat what's the prognosis? How old is the person?

I think I might have a different view if it was my parent than if it were my spouse. At 90 there was no way in hell I would have put my mother through anything that would have impinged on her (limited) quality of life, but for my 60 year old husband - well maybe. But it would depend on how likely a cure or long term remission would be. If there was an 80% chance that would be different to a 20% chance. It would also depend on the persons views on such things when they were well.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
If someone with AD, a progressive and terminal illness ,develops another potentially terminal illness I would try my best to ensure they are pain free for the rest of their lives and suffer minimal discomfort.

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
If someone with AD, a progressive and terminal illness ,develops another potentially terminal illness I would try my best to ensure they are pain free for the rest of their lives and suffer minimal discomfort. Quote: Grannie G

I agree.
Rons cancer on his face is worring. I shall know more tomorrow.
Barb X

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I think I might have a different view if it was my parent than if it were my spouse. At 90 there was no way in hell I would have put my mother through anything that would have impinged on her (limited) quality of life, but for my 60 year old husband - well maybe. But it would depend on how likely a cure or long term remission would be. If there was an 80% chance that would be different to a 20% chance. It would also depend on the persons views on such things when they were well.

I'd agree with that Jennifer. I'd also factor in the stage of dementia.

Eight years ago, I'd have fought to get any possible treatment for John. Now, I'd just want him kept comfortable.

gigi

Nov 16, 2007
East Midlands
If it was Eric, knowing his phobia of hospitals and all things medical prior to AD....I'd want him to be kept comfortable and pain free...He wouldn't now be able to understand the process of treatment...

And at this stage in his AD I think it would be grossly unfair to him to prolong his life by curing one terminal illness...only to have him eventually succumb to AD.

But it's always easy to answer a hypothetical question. Who knows how we may react if it was a real situation.

Love xx

Trying my best

Dec 9, 2008
Yorkshire
I agree that the decision should normally be based on the person's own attitude to potentially life saveing treatments, and the extent of their dementia would also be a factor.

If my mother became ill, I would not want her to undergo surgery or any other serious, invasive or painful treatment. She has alwasy been opposed to 'prolonging life' where qualify of life is severely limited and as would not be able to comprehend that it was being done to help her, she would be terrified and traumatised.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Last hypothetical question...I PROMISE..

What if the sh#t hits the proverbial fan, and both the carer and the care needer have serious conditions that need treating at the same time ..

WHO SORTS THE MESS OUT THEN?

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Thanks for all your advice.

It will hopefully remain mostly hypothetical if my biopsy results are negative.

Tom's GP is doing more blood tests for him, but is talking about myelodysplasia ( an issue with his bone marrow) low red and white blood cell count. Am now try to convince Tom that he really will need a blood transfusion (and a hospital stay) soon,
but he says he is fine.

If my biopsy results are positive (of course not) then I suppose it will need a big fan for the sh#t that will be flying,

Will be glad when the 20th of July is here, I'm have nightmares about all this. Sometimes the waiting is the hard part.:rolleyes:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a lot you have on your plate Helen, and here am I complaining of being bored. :eek:
Will be glad when the 20th of July is here
That`s tomorrow. It`s fingers crossed time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bcaputo5