Husband says his brain gets really hot when concentrating

Kijo

Feb 9, 2014
I am wondering if any one who has dementia can share their insight on this. My husband has early on-set dementia, and he says when he has to concentrate on adding numbers or trying to learn something new it is near impossible because the left side of his head gets super hot inside.
Growing up we sometimes used an expression like "oh, this is frying my brain", but he seems to literally feel it, and has to stop what he is working on as it is so intense. When he feels this way his face doesn't get red, and his skin doesn't feel hot - it is all happening inside his head.
Does anyone else get this sensation when trying to concentrate on something or work on something difficult? I am not sure if it is something to see the doctor about.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I haven't heard of this before but i wonder if it could be caused by the increased blood flow to his brain when he is trying to think,
It is worth seeing the GP and see if he knows what it is,

Best wishes Jeany x

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I am wondering if any one who has dementia can share their insight on this. My husband has early on-set dementia, and he says when he has to concentrate on adding numbers or trying to learn something new it is near impossible because the left side of his head gets super hot inside.
Growing up we sometimes used an expression like "oh, this is frying my brain", but he seems to literally feel it, and has to stop what he is working on as it is so intense. When he feels this way his face doesn't get red, and his skin doesn't feel hot - it is all happening inside his head.
Does anyone else get this sensation when trying to concentrate on something or work on something difficult? I am not sure if it is something to see the doctor about.

Hi Kijo

When my symptoms were at their worst, it was like my brain was on fire, it was painful to touch my scalp, and I got and still get severe pain in the left side of my brain. I probably didn't help things as I didn't want to lose my ability to think so continued to try and think when my brain was trying to say have a rest.

Since I have become more accepting of my symptoms and a new life reality I try to allow my brain to rest more as it helps me overall. The more I am able to accept the better I function:rolleyes::eek:

Don't know if this helps at all?
Best wishes to you and your husband
Sue

Chrismitch

Jun 23, 2011
My husbands forehead often feels very cold so he wears a headband - thankfully not when we go out :)

Kijo

Feb 9, 2014
Hi Kijo

When my symptoms were at their worst, it was like my brain was on fire, it was painful to touch my scalp, and I got and still get severe pain in the left side of my brain. I probably didn't help things as I didn't want to lose my ability to think so continued to try and think when my brain was trying to say have a rest.

Since I have become more accepting of my symptoms and a new life reality I try to allow my brain to rest more as it helps me overall. The more I am able to accept the better I function:rolleyes::eek:

Don't know if this helps at all?

Best wishes to you and your husband
Sue

Thanks Sue, this seems to agree with what my husband feels - and I guess it really is his body telling him to take it easy and accept his limitations.

Davekhan

Apr 28, 2014

Hello my mother has been diagnosed recently and she has the same problem she is on Donepezil she always complains of head pain and says her head is really hot then says she thinks its her brain she also feels that her head is is getting squeezed together. But she has it all the time day and night and has difficulty going to sleep.