How's everyone coping?

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
Dealing with COVID hasn't been as disastrous as I thought it might have been, though it's Monday tomorrow, which means shopping day ?

I can't describe the relief if there are very small or no queues outside the shops: it feels like a lottery win! But if there are massive queues, then it's battle time to stop my mum kicking off and start barging past everyone.

Though it's easier once we're inside, because now I use Sainsbury's Shop and Go, so I can do it on my phone and just use the self-serving till to checkout instantly. Prior to this, trying to make my mum wait in the checkout queue was certainly an experience ?

White Rose

Nov 4, 2018
Dealing with COVID hasn't been as disastrous as I thought it might have been, though it's Monday tomorrow, which means shopping day ?

I can't describe the relief if there are very small or no queues outside the shops: it feels like a lottery win! But if there are massive queues, then it's battle time to stop my mum kicking off and start barging past everyone.

Though it's easier once we're inside, because now I use Sainsbury's Shop and Go, so I can do it on my phone and just use the self-serving till to checkout instantly. Prior to this, trying to make my mum wait in the checkout queue was certainly an experience ?
Oh my goodness, that must be so stressful taking your mum shopping. I still have carers for a few hours a week and do the shopping then as my partner doesn't understand anything about the virus and social distancing and it would be a nightmare trying to cope with him as well as get the shopping! Good that you can use Sainsbury's Shop and Go though.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i wish he could come to shopping but hes shielding so not allowed. but when i bring in the shopping my son takes me, he looks through and says it feels like christmas.

jelba

Aug 1, 2012
Huddersfield
No virus at the moment at mum home. Dad got ibs and constant toilet issues. Rang gp several times and finally managed to get him a blood test but find things tough and on furlough. Don't thow if he cope on his own when I go back to work

nick97

Feb 16, 2020
@White Rose Ha I wish I could shop without mum as she's the same: no knowledge about the virus, social distancing, etc... but there's no way you can stop her going out shopping on Monday and Thursday! On the plus side, virtually no queues today ? ?

So until Thursday...

Gerona

Mar 25, 2020
My husband was only diagnosed 8 months ago and very early days, and mostly going well. During this situation he is having a little difficulty truly appreciating the social distancing concept, and thinks I am ‘denying him freedom, and remarks to our daughter via FaceTime ‘I won’t allow him to go anywhere’, being very critical of me. I feel guilty when I feel annoyed, because generally he is a very kind person.

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
My husband was only diagnosed 8 months ago and very early days, and mostly going well. During this situation he is having a little difficulty truly appreciating the social distancing concept, and thinks I am ‘denying him freedom, and remarks to our daughter via FaceTime ‘I won’t allow him to go anywhere’, being very critical of me. I feel guilty when I feel annoyed, because generally he is a very kind person.
This reminds me of my dear husband who was the sweetest man but I had to keep remembering that ‘it’s not him, it’s the disease’ which I found so difficult at first because he appeared to be his normal rational self in the morning and I would say rational things to him but he got more confused as the day wore on, fatigue crept in and I had to resort to what I called ‘dementia speak’, lots of agreeing with silly things and being ‘economical with the truth’, as was famously said back in the day. It’s a labour of love to keep him as contented as possible and yourself sane.

Busylady

Mar 21, 2019
I'm new to this forum but have followed posts for months. My 89 year old father, who has both alzheimer's and cancer, lives with me and my family. I gave up work to care for him following his 'weeks to live' cancer diagnosis back in September. He isn't mobile but forgets he can't walk so needs constant supervision! During this lockdown I am fully appreciating the massive benefit that daycare 3 days a week used to provide. I feel guilty for feeling trapped and feel maybe I should be doing more with him - but I'm lacking the motivation. I, due to pressure from my siblings, have undertaken all care responsibilities so that there is no chance of covid entering the house via the carer. I keep telling myself I'm halfway through the 12 weeks now. Being able to off load to people who understand really helps. Knowing others are in the same boat makes it seem more bearable

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
maybe its better to say i have done 6 weeks only 6 weeks to go. half way. my husband is shielding as well and its tiring to be positive and airy all the time. he is still very much aware but forgets where he can go. i was cutting my hedge in the front and had to keep telling him to go back to doorstep. i know its not constant that you have cant your siblings just pop in just so you can see someone different even just to the door. it seems that guilt is the universal feeling for us carers and what else does he need?he has you, you are keeping him safe. i think you are doing a brilliant job in the extreme circumstances