How to cope at the end?

Lee55

Jun 14, 2020
Care home called us last Sunday to say Mum had taken a really bad turn and we need to come in as soon as possible. She was semi conscious- for most of the time we were there. Stayed all day stroking her face , holding her hand and playing her favourite music. She is not eating and only taking tiny amounts of liquid. She is still here . When her eyes open her eyebrows raise ever so slightly when she sees you. I feel exhausted , so sad and desperately trying to stay strong for other family members. When I am with her I feel dreadful, when I am away from her I feel even worse and so so guilty
. How do I cope and how long will it be until we are all at peace.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
It’s a very difficult time for you and there is no knowing how long it will be for you all to find peace. I’m sure your. Mum knows you are with her and that will give her comfort. You are doing all the right things. Stay strong,

Hazara8

Apr 6, 2015
Care home called us last Sunday to say Mum had taken a really bad turn and we need to come in as soon as possible. She was semi conscious- for most of the time we were there. Stayed all day stroking her face , holding her hand and playing her favourite music. She is not eating and only taking tiny amounts of liquid. She is still here . When her eyes open her eyebrows raise ever so slightly when she sees you. I feel exhausted , so sad and desperately trying to stay strong for other family members. When I am with her I feel dreadful, when I am away from her I feel even worse and so so guilty
. How do I cope and how long will it be until we are all at peace.
The most difficult and challenging aspect of these very special moments, is coming to terms with reality. Nature gives us life and nature takes it away. Just like dementia itself, nature has no sense of " the other ". That is our relationship with someone. With a parent and specifically a mother, that relationship is immensely powerful. The mother bears us and raises us and that bond becomes embedded in both heart and mind. Dementia robs a person of memory and as such eradicates the very painful preoccupation with that "relationship " which is now undergoing a radical change. The subject of that relationship, a mother, being for the first time, physically no longer present. This is life. This is fact. This is truth.

The " bereavement " which takes place when a mother with Alzheimer's no longer seems to recognise their child, or who inhabits another reality of their own which one simply has to recognise as FACT, can be very painful in as much as it mimics the passing of the parent you have known your whole life. Then, when actual bereavement comes about you undergo a further state of despair and sorrow and perhaps " guilt" which is usually the fruit of utter frustration at not being able to cope when the situation became totally unmanageable.

I was at the hospital bedside of my late mother for a complete month. During that month she did not eat nor drink ( l used a syringe to administer water to curb total dehydration). I remember thinking about the decades of life which the family enjoyed devoid of any illness. The fun and sheer joy of life at it's best, both as a child and then an adult. I recalled my mother's life before l was born, how she so often recounted how happy her childhood had been, despite the traumas of both wars and a period of poverty living in a tent on a beach. As with everybody else, whoever or wherever they are, a life is unique and yet related to every single human being on this Earth. It has value, it matters, it is sacred. The " story" of a life can never change, nor can it be harmed. When that life draws to a close thus doth the story. But the holder of that story whilst physically departing this world, remains in the mind and heart of others, either joyfully or in sorrow. So the " memory" dictates. If you feel like crying, then cry. If you are filled with despair, then don't try to battle against it. See it as fact. Let the tears flow and see what takes place. Despite the genuinely terrible moments in my own mother's dementia journey, at the very end, focussed entirely on her face as she lay there unconscious in the hospital bed, looking beautiful despite her loss of weight, despite the ravages of dementia, despite the peripheral hubbub of the hospital ward close by, there came a moment of complete awareness of what was taking place - the nature of truth without any of the mitigating baggage to turn it into what it was not -

Perhaps we can term that truth another word .... Peace.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @Lee55

It sounds like you are in the last long vigil. Its a twilight world of waiting, but unfortunately, its impossible to say exactly how long. The body seems to cling to life and they go on for far longer than you would expect. My own mum went for 17 days with no food or fluid, but its not always that long.

Now is the time to say the important things - I love you, thank you, Im sorry.
Even if they seem unconscious hearing is the last thing to go.
Read to them, tell them the family stories, play their favourite music.

Put moisturiser on their dry skin and salve on their lips to make them more comfortable. You may be given little sponges or brushes to moisten their mouth too.

Dont forget to attend to your own needs too - remember to eat and sleep.
xxxx