How much more !

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
After the ambulance saga with getting dad off the toilet.The following day the carers had to struggle to get him off the toilet as he had collapsed again!
We have a wheeled commode. The paramedics recommended that we have a hoist. So I had to email the doctor who got in touch. I had to explain the whole lot again.
Dad has been in bed for quite a few days and he is not pleased.
I have assessed him on a daily basis. He gets so far with the Sara Stedy but tends to lose his grip so as I told him “ You need to be able to slide forward onto the edge of the bed and to hold yourself upright.”He does it with a bit of help but he doesn’t stay upright for long. I got him out with a bit of a struggle to use the commode which I never heard the end of . But I’m not putting myself at risk anymore. Even with 2 carers it can be a problem. When he is getting up from the commode you literally have about 30 seconds to wipe him before he sits down on the S/Stedy. So I think it will be a stand aid next.
His mouth looks dry but at least his urine is clear now with the antibiotics. But he is tilting an awful lot and has definitely regressed into dementia land. He thinks he is 60 . Actually he just guesses on a lot of things these days.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I can't help thinking that you are moving the care home into your house. You've got the extra staff, all sorts of horrible equipment - you name it. What you don't have is any of the relief that comes with moving someone to a care home.

I'm worried about you. Are you sure home is the right place for him now?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I was thinking the same as Jaded'n'faded. It sounds like he really needs two people to move him now. If you end up with a hoist it will definitely require two people to use it. In a care home, there would always be at least two people on duty, but if you are home alone and the carers arnt due for another three hours when he needs the commode..............

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi. Dad is being reassessed by the physio and OT in the next few days. He is having good and bad days at the moment.?They are thinking of a stand aid for the bad days. A care home would be better for him.It would most likely be a nursing home as his health is very bad now.. Since the infection it has been a sudden decline. The carers got him up with the Sara Stedy this morning as he is no longer walking with his gutter frame. I’m going to wait and see what they say. A lot of people assume I live with him. I live 18 miles away so he is home alone at night and in between care visits. I will be reducing my time with him as mum is getting more confused by the day!

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
So sorry @TNJJ You have worked very hard in caring for your dad and you deserve a break. I am sure your poor dad would be better off in a care home and I hope that it happens soon. It all becomes a bit too much to cope with and I hope things get easier for you.