How can I ever be sure

Unhappy15

Feb 7, 2015
My husband died on the 4th of April.
He had been in care for over 4 years and the home went in to lockdown in early March. I was not allowed to see him during that time and he died without me being there. From there things went from bad to worse, I couldn't see him in the chapel of rest or take his clothes for him and in the end because of the state I was in and all of the restrictions around funerals I decided to have a direct cremation and celebrate his life rather than mourn his death a later time.
However, I have just read an article about hospitals sending infected patients back to care homes and G.Ps refusing to visit and it is this point that upsets me.
I was told that my husband had not been well for over a week and at that point Covid19 was present in the home. He displayed symptoms of sickness, temperature, breathing difficulties and lethargy and at one point he had to be hoisted out of bed, up until that point he had always been mobile. I phoned the home on the Friday afternoon and they said they had called the GP, what I didn't know it that it was a video consultation. On the Saturday morning I received a call to say there were problems with breathing and they were calling paramedics.
he died before they got there and I then found out that it was a 111 duty doctor that signed the death certificate stating he died of 'Frailty of Old Age' Just what does that mean, he was never tested, just left , nothing prescribed no care apart from the staff at the home.
I really feel that my husbands death has just been another one to brush under the carpet when reporting the real extent of mismanagement and lack of care in protecting care home residents. I don't put any blame on the home, they were working flat out and in fact they have lost 13 residents.
I find so upsetting is the lack of regard from the GP, and the diagnosis made. I know it was already stated that they were not going to treat elderly people but the human cost is immense. That person who was ignored was my husband, a talented successful man and this is how he was treated and this makes me angry.
I know its not going to changed anything, but I really feel that the way elderly and ill people in the care home sector have been treated is dreadful and what families have endured throughout this needs to be addressed.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
I'm so sorry you have had such a difficult experience @Unhappy15

Might you ask to have a conversation with the care home manager, request a booked time, and put to them all your concerns as they are the one most likely to be able to talk all this through with you

I'm glad that, at least, you feel the staff did all they could in caring for your husband

I fear the discussions in the news are going to upset many who have loved ones living and dying in care homes.... and raise questions and fears which may or may not be the case in their situation

sad, frustrating and worrisome times

father ted

Aug 16, 2010
London
Unhappy15, this is such a sad post. I have no answers but I would like to say the following:

Firstly I would like to express my condolences to you. The circumstances in which your husband died are tragic and we would all wish that when the time comes to say goodbye we can hold each other and say all the things we want to in a moment of tenderness and love.

As the previous poster said I would contact the home and relay your concerns about what happened. To discuss it with the manager will, I am sure go some way to calm your restless thoughts and rationalise it all.

Your husband you say had been there 4 years and you sound as if you were happy with the care he got prior to this crisis. It was familiar to your husband with staff that he recognised around him. My Mum’s home now has, since this crisis has all Dr consultations by video too- I suspect this is common practice. You are of course quite right that the mismanagement overall has been atrocious we know there will be many people like you who will want explanations and an apology for the handling of care and the reasons for death during the pandemic. You can catalogue all the dates and times of communication and get some support from the Alzheimer’s Society or Carers UK and make representation to those who fell short in this instance- there will be many like you whose partners, parents, siblings etc who beyond the love of their family were respected and talented colleagues and friends who deserve so much more.
x

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
So sorry to read your post @unhappy 15. It's no consolation I know but there are agencies out there who are currently investigating/looking into the situation in care homes.

My Mum’s home now has, since this crisis has all Dr consultations by video too- I suspect this is common practice.

Yes, before lockdown the GP would visit mum's care home weekly but now it is just a video consultation which is obviously not a substitute for a proper clinical examination. My sister works as a GP receptionist in another part of the country and says that the same is happening there, GP's are not visiting care homes.

Unhappy15

Feb 7, 2015
Thank you all for your kindness.

I have spoken to the Manager of the care home and she was adamant that Joe didn't have the virus but even she does know that for certain. He displayed some symptoms, rapidly declined and was never tested or seen by a doctor.
In other words he is just another statistic of the unexplained rise in the death rate in care homes.

This haunts me along with the fear that he might have thought I had deserted him. I used to visit every day and have done for he last four and a half years. Just over three weekss prior to his death the home went into lockdown and I could not visit. Did he know? Did he feel alone? Did he give up?
I live with this going round and round in my head and the fact that I never had a chance to say goodbye is so hard to live with.
Kathy

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I am so sorry for your loss.
would the GP refer you for professional grief counselling?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry for your loss @Unhappy15. It must be so much harder to lose someone during these strange times.

I too wondered if grief counselling might help you. Perhaps a chat with some at Cruse might be useful for support

Please keep posting here as I know you will get lots of help and support from members.

pixie2

Jul 21, 2018
My husband died on the 4th of April.
He had been in care for over 4 years and the home went in to lockdown in early March. I was not allowed to see him during that time and he died without me being there. From there things went from bad to worse, I couldn't see him in the chapel of rest or take his clothes for him and in the end because of the state I was in and all of the restrictions around funerals I decided to have a direct cremation and celebrate his life rather than mourn his death a later time.
However, I have just read an article about hospitals sending infected patients back to care homes and G.Ps refusing to visit and it is this point that upsets me.
I was told that my husband had not been well for over a week and at that point Covid19 was present in the home. He displayed symptoms of sickness, temperature, breathing difficulties and lethargy and at one point he had to be hoisted out of bed, up until that point he had always been mobile. I phoned the home on the Friday afternoon and they said they had called the GP, what I didn't know it that it was a video consultation. On the Saturday morning I received a call to say there were problems with breathing and they were calling paramedics.
he died before they got there and I then found out that it was a 111 duty doctor that signed the death certificate stating he died of 'Frailty of Old Age' Just what does that mean, he was never tested, just left , nothing prescribed no care apart from the staff at the home.
I really feel that my husbands death has just been another one to brush under the carpet when reporting the real extent of mismanagement and lack of care in protecting care home residents. I don't put any blame on the home, they were working flat out and in fact they have lost 13 residents.
I find so upsetting is the lack of regard from the GP, and the diagnosis made. I know it was already stated that they were not going to treat elderly people but the human cost is immense. That person who was ignored was my husband, a talented successful man and this is how he was treated and this makes me angry.
I know its not going to changed anything, but I really feel that the way elderly and ill people in the care home sector have been treated is dreadful and what families have endured throughout this needs to be addressed.
I know exactly what you mean. My mams death certificate was rushed along and they just put covid with secondary factors. I know for a fact mam had mild coronavirus and had recovered. It was vascular problems in end and i feel and am angry lockdown and separation was big factor

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
Unhappy. I'm so sorry for your loss, and more so for the way it happened. Hard to take. XX