Housing Dilemma

KEZH

Feb 6, 2014
London
Hi all,

Mum is probably late mid stage. She's going downhill gradually. She currently lives alone in her own bungalow about 2 hours from me but only 30 mins from my brother, however he works overseas one week in 2. Mum moved there 3 years ago around the onset of early stage. She's never settled and claims to hate it. Around 4 months ago she agreed to move to a retirement bungalow around 30 mins from me which will make my life easier and make her happier. We sold her property and are a month away from moving date.

Yesterday I received a call from the solicitors to say that the landlord of the retirement bungalow (leasehold property, owned by a retirement trust) asked for a GP assessment form to be signed by the GP claiming that she is able to live an independent lifestyle. There is no warden as such at the property but there is someone on site at the office 9-5. The main rooms have pull cords in case of an emergency.

I called the Dr today to discuss the form but he don't sign his name to this as he feels she isn't able to live independently. If it's not signed the the Landlord will not allow her to continue with the purchase. If I'm honest she has deteriorated largely since the beginning of this process and I'm worried about the implications and personally think she's better off where she is, in familiar surroundings, she has a care package set up for her medication as she is a severe diabetic and has recently undergone an amputation of her middle toe. The process of this operation was dreadful - suffering with terrible delusion whilst infected and before the amputation.

The position now is that whilst not confirmed that the move is off but more than likely, is telling her. It will break her heart. There is now no other option but for her to stay put until the inevitable happens and she ends up in a home. The GP thinks within 6 months big changes will happen. She no longer drives, cannot handle her bank account, or use her computer. She finds it difficult to cook but manages to feed herself.
I'm dreading the next week or so when I get he news and have to tell her.

Sorry this is long...

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Perhaps a little 'love lie' is needed here; no need to mention what the GP said. Could you tell her the people who wanted to buy her house have pulled out, or the owners of the place she was buying are not moving anymore?

Take care

Lyn T

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Will her concept of time inform her of when the month is up that she expected to move? Could you gradually wean her away from the idea of moving by delaying tactics eg paperwork issues, repairs needing to be done, not looking like such a good idea yetc. if she is deteriorating so fast by the time the delays work through she may have given up on the idea of moving.