Hotel accomodation

Friend 83

Jul 4, 2016
Hi'
I'm new here and I'm looking to help a friend who's mum has dementia.
She'd love to take her mother for a couple of days holiday to a hotel in Scotland, with herself but seems to have almost lost the will to look for one because of the day to day effort just looking after her mother.
I've searched the web and found a few places but they seem to provide respite rather than a place they could both go.
It would be really helpful if anyone could offer some suggestions.

Forgive me if I've the technical terms wrong.

Ralph

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Friend 83, and welcome.

It's lovely that you are trying to help your friend who is obviously too tired and taken up with caring to find somewhere to take her mum for a break.

Does it have to be Scotland? If not, there is an organisation called Revitalise that has three centres that are designed to give carers and cared-for a break together, with support and help given during their stay. It might be worth looking at.

If you google Revitalise you I'm sure you'll find it.

Whether this is any good for your friend or not, I do hope that you find somewhere!

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi Friend (Ralph), welcome to TP
it does to some extent depend on the situation, on here the expression is "when you've seen one person with dementia, you've seen one person with dementia".
Is this someone who might wander off and get lost, is it someone who has socially inappropriate behaviour...the questions are endless?
The kind of needs a doubly incontinent person in a wheelchair with limited mobility are a lot different to someone who's early stages and easily managed.
If the symptoms are still early stage then I'd look at the broader "disabled" holidays.
I would say it's generally recognised that a change of environment can be unsettling for people with dementia, not that it's ever bothered my wife but it does sometimes.
K