"Hospital let Alzheimer's patient walk out to his death" - The Patients Association

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Nick's dad

I expect many of you remember Nick's dad who died in the river when he was supposed to be cared for. There is an article in todays Guardian detailing "Shocking Treatment in NHS hospitals and care homes" exposed in a report by the Patients Association and Nick's dad's story is included. Hopefully this will result in improvements in the system so that no-one else has to suffer what Nick and his family have.
Tre

jan1962

May 19, 2012
bedlington northumberland
I expect many of you remember Nick's dad who died in the river when he was supposed to be cared for. There is an article in todays Guardian detailing "Shocking Treatment in NHS hospitals and care homes" exposed in a report by the Patients Association and Nick's dad's story is included. Hopefully this will result in improvements in the system so that no-one else has to suffer what Nick and his family have.
Tre

hi there,

just read your post and could not agree more. it is amazing that such an a horrid thing should happen to someone who is supposed to be in an enviroment of safety. i only hope that safe guards are put in place so that there are no repeat stories. i offend think about Nick and family and often repeat the his story to others in the care field and they cannot understand how this was able to happen.

jan1962

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
If you are still about Nick and read this I would like send you and your family my condolences. It is good that that how your dad was treated is now publicised but I am sure it is still very raw for all of you.
love Tre

Last edited by a moderator:

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
This was part of the headlines on the BBC Radio2 news this morning, and I immediately thought 'that's Nick's Dad'. Hope things do improve as a result.

supporter1

Sep 14, 2012
Well to be honest I am not the least bit surprised. The care my father had in an acute hospital was dreadful to honest . He wandered around the hospital in his PJ 's and was found in the car park , in the A&E and finally in the sewing room ! He was very distressed and confused at the time and the medical ward could not wait to ship him out to the Assesment ward he is on now we were astonished when he was taken down for x rays and left . of course he disappeared. You would think out troubles were over but no he got out of there too ! thankfully they have now taken steps to avoid him taking the door apart and the windows so he is a bit safer. My father is nothing if not resouceful . He manages to get out but has no idea how he gets to places .

Last weekends experience in the extracare ended in a full scale police search .

I am just so sad that this sort of thing happens and I think we have been lucky that my Father has survived it all.

I do think that the NHS is under pressure but sometimes I am just left speechless.

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
So Sad

Hello Everybody , Read the "On Line " Paper today & also ( later on ) read the proper Paper & its just all so sad what happened to the Man that drowned ( it has "hit me hard " :(:( because my own Father has Dementia )

The other "News " on how the other "Patients " were treated so "BADLY " :( is also sad in this day & age of the 21 st "Centuray " N H S tho is hardly that is it ? :( reading these "Reports "

Agree with the last "Poster " the N H S is under pressure especially lack of Staff etc on the Wards

Grove x x