Hospial frustrations

Gabrielle-amie

Feb 3, 2011
Has anyone else had experience of nurses in another clinic not understanding about Alz?
My husband has had prostate cancer and now has urinary problems. One day we had to visit the clinic. I told the nurse that he had Alz. but then I had to go to the loo. In the meantime she had given him instructions, which, of course he didn't remember. We sat there for over an hour with him getting more and more angry and agitated, until I went in to see the nurse and ask why the long wait.

loveahug

Nov 28, 2012
Moved to Leicester
No they don't understand or even know of the word. Even if you say dementia, they don't 'get it'. I now make it quite plain 'my mum has dementia, she cannot follow any sentences longer than 4 words and does not always understand instructions'. I am going to print some little cards and laminate them to hand out when we go for her appointments, that way I'm not talking in front of her. As mum's sight is not good, I'll tell her they are appointment cards.

I'm not sure if you can use this method for your husband but this damned disease is difficult enough to cope with, without having to educate health professionals as you go along.

Rant over!

Gabrielle-amie

Feb 3, 2011
No they don't understand or even know of the word. Even if you say dementia, they don't 'get it'. I now make it quite plain 'my mum has dementia, she cannot follow any sentences longer than 4 words and does not always understand instructions'. I am going to print some little cards and laminate them to hand out when we go for her appointments, that way I'm not talking in front of her. As mum's sight is not good, I'll tell her they are appointment cards.

I'm not sure if you can use this method for your husband but this damned disease is difficult enough to cope with, without having to educate health professionals as you go along.

Rant over!
thanks Loveahug. It's good to know someone else understands the frustration I felt. It made me really angry that such basic education is not given to nurses, whatever branch of medecine they are practising in. I'm afraid I probably wouldn't get away with your scheme as my husband is very suspicious of anything that looks like 'talking about him behind his back' but I shall certainly try to speak to the nurses when we go in next time. At the moment I am reaching screaming pitch as one problem comes after another and am finding it really difficult to'keep my cool'!
It does help to share with others on this site.