Home insurance

Mum32

Feb 22, 2013
Hi everyone, does anyone know if you have to advise the home insurance provider that the person living in the home has dementia? It seems there might be an increased risk of an accident, and I don't want the insurance company refusing to pay a claim because I should have declared it. On the other hand, I don't think you have to declare it if you smoke and might fall asleep with a cigarette or that you drink and might decide to try and fry chips when you come home from the pub!
I'd appreciate any advice from people trying to care for a parent with dementia who insists on living at home alone.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
The easiest way to find out is to phone up the insurance company and ask for an insurance quote from them. Tell them you are considering having your mum come live with you as she has dementia and would this affect any policy if you did this.

My personal view is that dementia is not a permanent state of mind but rather varying levels of impairment throughout a day. How would they be able to prove it was the dementia that caused the accident, say, if a tap had been left running and flooded the,house. They will have paid up on this type of claim before without trying to prove the person had dementia, if you see what I mean. Then where does it stop. If I have cramp in my leg and jump up and break my expensive lamp, would they say i should have told them I have leg cramps? If this was the case then none of us would be insured I don't think.

It is good to question this though and I will be interested to know what the answer from the insurance company will be.

Fiona

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
The easiest way to find out is to phone up the insurance company and ask for an insurance quote from them. Tell them you are considering having your mum come live with you as she has dementia and would this affect any policy if you did this.

My personal view is that dementia is not a permanent state of mind but rather varying levels of impairment throughout a day. How would they be able to prove it was the dementia that caused the accident, say, if a tap had been left running and flooded the,house. They will have paid up on this type of claim before without trying to prove the person had dementia, if you see what I mean. Then where does it stop. If I have cramp in my leg and jump up and break my expensive lamp, would they say i should have told them I have leg cramps? If this was the case then none of us would be insured I don't think.

It is good to question this though and I will be interested to know what the answer from the insurance company will be.

Fiona

Hi don’t know about home insurance but with car hire , this what I asked an insurance company on cover for excess insurance on a hire car abroad

My Message
Hi can I have excess Insurance with a restricted medical driving licence for period of 12 months and will this effect my cover
Thanks *******

Dear Mr *****
Thank you for your email.
I can confirm that our policy will cover you and will not effect your cover in anyway providing the rental company are happy to provide you with a vehicle.

Kind regards

Last edited by a moderator:

tre

Sep 23, 2008
Herts
Some insurers do actually ask if you smoke and give a discount to non smokers. I would talk to them about it but I do not think they can penalise you as this would be classed as discrimination. If they do appear difficult ask to speak to someone higher up the line of command and say " I do not beleive this is treating customers fairly". Their regulator does require them to treat customers fairly. There may be a small increase in premium if your mum comes to live with you if your insurer is giving you a discount for the number of people in the household, but this would be nothing to do with the dementia and would occur if you had any extra adult becoming permanently resident in your home. They may ask whether your sums insured are adequate if mum is bringing in extra belongings so that might be worth checking.
Tre

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrsmagsey