Hi

Vanessa80

Feb 24, 2024
Illinois
Hello my name is Vanessa
My mom had a brain aneurysm march of last year and an internal bleeding on July of last year after they took the feeding tube out. About 3 months ago the doctor told me she has dementia she was doing fine until last Monday when she woke up she had no movement of her body she’s usually weak on her right side but Monday it was all of her body I had to call the ambulance cause her BP was really low she was hospitalized for most of the week and they let her go yesterday today I’m noticing that she’s having trouble walking and standing also she can’t eat by herself like she used too a week ago and she’s just restless along with sleepy

Angel Heart

Feb 22, 2020
So sorry to hear that you and your Mum are going through all of this Vanessa.

Do you have anyone else to help support you both that end?

I haven’t experienced the same situation but my relative was struggling with their mobility and I rang the GP and asked him if he could do a referral for a physiotherapist assessment at my relative’s home.

The physio then attended and has ordered some equipment via the occupational therapy team and has also provided exercises that they’re meant to be doing in the near future in the home, so I wonder if this could be a next step also for your Mum?

I really hope you get the support you both need at this difficult time.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hello my name is Vanessa
My mom had a brain aneurysm march of last year and an internal bleeding on July of last year after they took the feeding tube out. About 3 months ago the doctor told me she has dementia she was doing fine until last Monday when she woke up she had no movement of her body she’s usually weak on her right side but Monday it was all of her body I had to call the ambulance cause her BP was really low she was hospitalized for most of the week and they let her go yesterday today I’m noticing that she’s having trouble walking and standing also she can’t eat by herself like she used too a week ago and she’s just restless along with sleepy
I wonder if she’s having a problem maintaining her blood pressure to an appropriate level. If you have a blood pressure machine, it might be helpful to take it a couple of times a day to check.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Vanessa80

Any trauma to the body or mind has a more dramatic effect on people with dementia than on those who don`t have the illness. Your mum may make some recovery but it will be gradual.

Please don`t hesitate to ask her doctors for help and support if you are so worried. They won`t know unless you ask.

Vanessa80

Feb 24, 2024
Illinois

I haven’t experienced the same situation but my relative was struggling with their mobility and I rang the GP and asked him if he could do a referral for a physiotherapist assessment at my relative’s home.

The physio then attended and has ordered some equipment via the occupational therapy team and has also provided exercises that they’re meant to be doing in the near future in the home, so I wonder if this could be a next step also for your Mum?

I took her to her doctor today and he has recommended hospice and just make her comfortable I’m really devastated but I also don’t want my mom suffering any further

Vanessa80

Feb 24, 2024
Illinois
I wonder if she’s having a problem maintaining her blood pressure to an appropriate level. If you have a blood pressure machine, it might be helpful to take it a couple of times a day to check.
I do and it’s always low in the 90s
I took her to her doctor today and he recommended hospice

Vanessa80

Feb 24, 2024
Illinois

My only support is my husband and 1 cousin they’re the only ones that help me a little to care for her

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I do and it’s always low in the 90s
I took her to her doctor today and he recommended hospice
I am so sorry to hear the news about your mum.

My husband has heart problems and his BP struggles around the 90 mark too.

I hope you can get your mum a place where she can be cared for and pain free.