Hi. My name is Robert. My Mum was diagnosed with demtia a couple of years ago.

Robert C

Mar 20, 2024
We managed it well for the couple of years. Dementia was not really a problem as quite happy, but had mobility issues, could not get downstairs without help. But she could get up to go the loo (99% of the time) Straw that brokes camel back , she got up on Xmas day and fell over. No lasting damage to her but my wife put her shoulder out trying to lift her up. Called and asked for respite in home and a new care assesment. Went into respite on 8th Jan and need assesment was carried out (we have never had a copy) without us being there. Told us she needed to be in care full time. Then instructed that she was already in council care and they would carry out financial assesment. Ye she would have to pay for her care and her house would need to be sold. All through the process from the time we called them to start to go into respite we feel we have had no choices apart from which care home. Should we have been part of care assesment as she has dementia (we have lastin power of atorney)? Should we have had a choice of how to pay for care home? I.E Calculate her income (what benefits could she keep) find out care costs and choose? etc etc etc. Just feel railroaded.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
If you have Lasting Power of Attorney for Health and Welfare then you can make the decisions which care home...

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
You can choose while you self fund, although there may not be many options, depending on her needs.
Not sure what you mean by 'how to pay' you are normally invoiced

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
As others have said , as long as your mum is self funding and you have LPA for health and welfare you can chose the home she goes to or you could look into live in care if money is not an issue. Did you live with your mum or was she on her own and you and your wife went in to provide support?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I noticed on another thread that you said that she was receiving state pension and pension credit, so Im assuming that she has little in the way of savings.

You also mentioned that you have taken out a Deferred Payment Agreement. Is this because you will have to sell her house and this would make her self-funded?