Hi, My Name is Jo

Contractlady

Nov 16, 2023
Ill start by saying that my husband will not go to the GP nor have I raised my concerns with him about how he is behaving as he is not the most approachable person.

My husband has just turned 60 and is employed as a lorry driver.

I noticed about a year ago that his memory is getting progressively worse, he loses his glasses at least 4 or five times a night, car keys are getting lost, even to the point of ring the shop he had just left to see if he had left them there, all be it that he drove the car home from the shop, when I mentioned this to him that he had the car keys he gets irritated with me, He gets manic over silly things that are nothing. He is constantly locking the house doors which is causing arguments as when I go into the garage for something and return, the doors are locked and keys put away, it's really getting bad, the dishwasher goes on with only a 1/4 load and he constantly putting dirty pots back in the Cupboard.

My husband has gone from having a shower every day and putting on clean underwear and socks to a shower once a week and not changing his underwear for a week which is just not how he was.

My husband obsesses over food, what's for tea which he asks at least three times in an afternoon and what time are we having tea, this is every single day, day in day out.

Is this just an age thing or do I need to be concerned

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to the forum @Contractlady

It’s a shame your husband won’t go to the GP as, although his symptoms could be due to dementia, they could also be due to something easier to treat - like a vitamin deficiency for example or stress. To be honest it does sound like more than an age thing at only 60 but it would be a shame to have to live with this if there is a simple solution.

Would your husband go for a well man check-up? When I had to change GPs my family and I were automatically called in for check-ups so, if you don’t like your current GP perhaps a change might get the ball rolling?

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Contractlady and welcome from me too. I wonder if you could arrange with your husband's GP to call him in for a "routine check -up for anyone who has just turned 60". That may not be strictly true but might be enough to persuade him to go. Ruling things out is important and starts with getting him to the GP (having first told the doctor about your concerns).

Contractlady

Nov 16, 2023
Hi, Thankyou for the idea of ringing the GP, it never crossed my mind as I didn't think the GP would discuss my husband with me, It's worth a try. Again thank you

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi, Thankyou for the idea of ringing the GP, it never crossed my mind as I didn't think the GP would discuss my husband with me, It's worth a try. Again thank you
If they wont talk to you, send in a letter or email explaining your concerns and saying that your husband wont book an appointment

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Contractlady

Your GP may not be at liberty to discuss your husband with you but they will listen.

I spoke to my mothers GP about her and later to our GP about my husband. On both occasions I was listened to and further action was taken or suggested.

Also in both occasions my visits were kept confidential so you have no need to worry.