hi i'm new and wanted some advice

Happy times

My dad has recently been diagnosed with vascular dementia but is not accepting anything is wrong with him, not sure if this is common?

Kay111

Hi @Happy times - I'm sorry to hear of your dad's diagnosis. Yes, I think this is really common from what I've read. I'm sure someone on here who has had experience of this will pop up soon (my dad always accepted his diagnosis so unfortunately I can't help, except to send support!) x

Happy times

Hi @Happy times - I'm sorry to hear of your dad's diagnosis. Yes, I think this is really common from what I've read. I'm sure someone on here who has had experience of this will pop up soon (my dad always accepted his diagnosis so unfortunately I can't help, except to send support!) x
Thank you x

Batsue

Hi @Happy times , I am afraid it is very common for people with dementia not to accept that they have a problem, my mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 5 years ago and forgot shortly after the consultant explained it to her. Even now she still thinks that she can cook, drive, go shopping etc when in fact she can't even wash herself without being given clear instructions.

canary

Yes, my mum never accepted that there was anything wrong with her. It is, unfortunately, a symptom of dementia itself (anosognosia) and they are literally unable to comprehend that they have something wrong. You will never be able to convince your dad - I tried with mum at the beginning and it just made her angry. I used to refer to her "memory problem" rather than saying the D word and mum was happy with that.

Happy times

Yes, my mum never accepted that there was anything wrong with her. It is, unfortunately, a symptom of dementia itself (anosognosia) and they are literally unable to comprehend that they have something wrong. You will never be able to convince your dad - I tried with mum at the beginning and it just made her angry. I used to refer to her "memory problem" rather than saying the D word and mum was happy with that.
Thank you I know my dad gets angry about it too saying there's nothing wrong with him so I say memory too but still doesn't like it. Thank you

Happy times

Hi @Happy times , I am afraid it is very common for people with dementia not to accept that they have a problem, my mum was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 5 years ago and forgot shortly after the consultant explained it to her. Even now she still thinks that she can cook, drive, go shopping etc when in fact she can't even wash herself without being given clear instructions.
I know leaving my dad to make a short phone call my dad had forgot so know what you mean thank yiu

Pete1

Hi @Happy times, even if your Dad did 'accept' it on written confirmation he would soon forget and be in complete denial. The diagnosis is more for you and the family to help with care for him moving forward - it will never matter to him (why should it?). It will potentially open doors for you like Attendance Allowance to pay for care/support for Dad. Try not to get too worried about his acceptance, use it for you and the family to navigate a way forward. All the best.