Hi, i just feel lonely

Natz123

Apr 10, 2024
My mum has Alzimers she was diagnosed with it a few years ago.

My mum was my best friend, she still is but not the same as how she used to be, I could go to mum all the time and especially talking to her about certain things I can't talk to my dad about like lady problems, etc she was always their for me but now I'm their for her, I'm just finding it really hard. She hasn't forgotten who me and my Dad are thank go, but she just gets frightened it's only me and my Dad looking after mum but my Dad goes to work during the day and I'm home alone looking after mum.

I basically don't really have anyone to talk to ever since my mum became not well I went down hill, I've lost loads of friends because they wasn't their for me when I needed them, well that's another story and not only that I just been depressed the Dr has given me antidepressants which has been helping I am even getting out there more as much as I can, I'm doing art classes which I love and yoga also I'm so proud of myself because I have started up swimming, and even signed up on my own, I never thought I be able to do cos I'm not only suffering from depression I have severe anxiety as well.

I just want my mum back is that being selfish I miss her so much yeah she's still here with me but just not the same

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Natz123 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am so sorry to read about your mum and how lonely you feel. I hope that now you have found us that you will post regularly and feel less alone. We have many members who will understand just how you feel. You might find it helps to start a regular thread on the - I care for a person with dementia - area. There you could talk about how you are feeling on a regular basis and other members would reply to you. I have attached a link below.

Well done on signing up for the art, yoga and swimming classes, I am sure that these activities will help your mental well being and help you to meet other people.

Do you get any help looking after your mum, if not it might be an idea to contact your local adult social services to arrange a needs assessment for your mum and a carers assessment for yourself. Again I have attached a link explaining how this works.

Finally, if you are looking after your mum full time you might be entitled to carers allowance, again I have attached a link.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Claire22