Hi and I'm new and just joined

patas

Feb 23, 2018
surrey
Hi all. I came across this site last week and am now ready to join. My mum was diagnosed with mixed dementia on Jan 16th this year and on the 19th she fell and broke her arm putting her in hospital for 1 month. I don't think mum knows she has dementia and I'm finding it very hard at the moment. It's just me to look after her at the moment as our relatives are not too close by. I went to the hairdressers today and had a cry when she asked me how things were. I'll be reading lots of posts and hopefully will make a few too. I look forward to some great advice and help along the way too.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @patas and welcome to Talking Point.
There is wealth of knowledge on here combined with shedloads of empathy.
If your mum has just been diagnosed please make sure the legal stuff is sorted - wills and POA (both financial and health & welfare). This will solve so many problems later on. She should also be eligible for Attendance Allowance and can get Council Tax exemption.
Do feel free to ask questions
:)

patas

Feb 23, 2018
surrey
If your mum has just been diagnosed please make sure the legal stuff is sorted - wills and POA (both financial and health & welfare). This will solve so many problems later on. She should also be eligible for Attendance Allowance and can get Council Tax exemption.

patas

Feb 23, 2018
surrey
Hi and thanks for reply. I've just finished paperwork for the LPA and attendance allowance and have signed up with Age Uk for a home help for mum so starting to get things in place. Going to phone council about council tax business as the lady from Age Uk told me about that. Such a lot of work to do when still coming to terms with diagnosis. The week after next we have a meeting with someone about the diagnosis and help wanted or needed. It's such a shame and very sad. Ps. I think I messed up before with your reply but I'll get the hang of it.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello @patas and welcome to the forum from me too.

I'm so sorry to read of your situation. I know you'll get lots of help and support here on Talking Point. I wondered if you had been in touch with your local branch of the Alzheimers Society. If not maybe that's something you would find helpful. If you put your postcode in to the page on this link you'll find your nearest branch -

http://alzheimers.org.uk/?_ga=2.192837807.407666404.1518717785-555544372.1504370756

If you ever find that you need to have a chat with someone (apart from online here) you might consider giving the helpline a ring. They are very experienced and I'm sure would be helpful. This is the page which gives you details -

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/info/...535.407666404.1518717785-555544372.1504370756

Other than that - you made the right decision posting here. Feel free to ask questions, share concerns - or just have a wee rant if you feel you need it. There's always someone here to listen.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Well done for getting so much organised so soon. The initial stages after diagnosis can be quite overwhelming. Try and make time for yourself too. Remember that caring for someone with dementia is a marathon, not a sprint
Ps. I think I messed up before with your reply but I'll get the hang of it.
Dont worry about it - Im sure you will get the hang of it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zedk