Help!

MrsChristmas

Jun 1, 2015
Hello everyone

I have been away from this helpful site for a while because things had ground to halt with my mother.

Now I am asking for some further advice please.

Just to recap my mother is 90 and lives on her own next door to me. My brother and I have an LPA in place, although mum will not allow us to use it to help her.

Mum is showing all of the signs of early dementia -forgetful, vague, lack of concentration....

I have been in contact with mum's GP (without mum's knowledge) over the past year and we got as far as a referral to the local memory clinic but I had to tell the doctor to cancel the referral because it was ruining the relationship with my mum. She had worked out (I don't know how) that I had been in contact with her doctor and was being very aggressive with me and saying extremely hurtful things.

During this time mum was still driving and I contacted the DVLA because I was worried about her and her licence has been cancelled. Mum worked out that I had contacted the DVLA (I don't know how) although I consistently denied it and she grew very stroppy with me. She even contacted my brother (who lives 50 miles away) and got him on her side. At Christmas she embarrassed me dreadfully in front of my grown up children by accusing me of telling the DVLA about her.

Mum is extremely suspicious and can be very hostile and aggressive. However, she can be very sweet and lovely if she is left alone to do 'her own thing' or has her own way.

Mum's attitude towards me is ruining any feelings that I have towards her. We are not as close as we used to be and provided that I am at her beck and call everything is okay.

My brother visits every few months and deals with the admin work but he is not much use at the emotional side of things or the day to day stuff that I have to do for mum. I have tried to talk to my brother about how mum is becoming a problem but he just tells me to say no to mum if she asks for something to be done. She has told both of us, in no uncertain terms, that she wants to be left alone and that she can manage okay. However, if anything goes wrong or she needs something she will always ask me. Often, I don't mind but she really, really cannot cope but I do get fed up sometimes because she does take me for granted.

I take her shopping every week and she insists on pushing the trolley but she leaves it in the middle of the main gangway in people's way. She does not know where she is going and I have to guide her, it would be so much easier if she left me to do it but no, she want her own way and deteminedly pushes the trolley! She keeps forgetting her pin number of her card at the till and I have to remind her every time. I have to help her get cash out of the machine because she cannot do it, I have to help her write cheques because she can't remember the date,day or year. She walks out in front of cars without even looking and I have to keep an eye on her all of the time. If I didn't do these things mum would have no money or food. I give her lifts to her friends but get's annoyed with me if I dare speak to her friends who call me to confirm that I have the right times/dates because mum forgets. She accuses me of 'going behind her back''. I can't call my brother to help me with the finances whilst I am with mum because she doesn't like me discussing her with him. We just correspond by email and don't tell her.

In desparation, I asked my brother (who handles mum's affairs - as much as she will let him) if he would organise a gardener/cleaner (I thought this would provide her with some company too). Apparently, she refused the cleaner and would not allow my brother access to her accounts with a cheque book so that we can pay for a gardener and her daily papers. My brother has organised a gardener to which she agreed to but this meant that I had to take mum to a cash machine to use her card (because she can't do it now) to get some cash out so that she can pay the gardener when he turns up. He did turn up as planned but mum forgot and went to town (how she does this amazes me because she is a danger outside her home) and the gardener turned up, did a bit of work and went.

My brother has tried to get mum to 'let go' but she will not and he supports her wish for independence, even though he agrees that she is vulnerable. He says that there is nothing we can do until a crisis occurs. It is easy to say when it is not on your doorstep.

I don't know whether it's a personality clash but she just gets on my nerves so much because she will not admit she has a problem. I am getting more and more angry and resentful because everything seems to fall on my shoulders and I find it hard to say no to a frail 90 year old woman. She can be very rude and hurtful.

Mum has done some strange things. She has glaucoma and has to take drops for it. I have the job of making sure that she gets the drops from the chemist delivered and I have taken her to hospital to see the consultant a couple of times. The last time we went in February mum had cancelled the appointment due illness but had forgot to tell me. All this make me even more angry and upset with her.

Mum's GP has been in contact with her telling her that she has missed 3 GP appointments and is running the risk of being taken off their lists. She has taken a dislike to the lovely GP who was going to do the memory clinic referral and has told me that she has changed doctors. The name of the new doctor is not at the surgery she goes to. My brother has organised another appointment for mum to have a blood test but we don't know what this is for and mum does not know.

After an horrendous sunday when I took mum to the cash machine to change her pin number (again) to get some cash out for her. I took her shopping which was very stressful because she doesn't know what she needs half the time and me having to remind her with her pin number and then having to watch her charge off with the trolley back into the store and me having to chase after her. I rescued her and then had to watch mum trying to bash a smaller trolley into a lager trolley! We got back to her home and we discovered she had locked herself out bye leaving the spare front door key in the inside lock. I then run home to find a locksmith to get mum in her home and then go back and find mum had a spare back door key on her keyring but didn't realise.

I made an appointment with another GP because I cannot keep my temper any more. I know I should be patient but mum is very trying. I explained what the problem was in advance of mum seeing the GP today for a chat and a blood test. I told the GP my concerns i.e. mum is losing weight, she is forgetful, she walks out in front of traffic without looking, she wanders off, she doesn't wear the right clothes, she doesn't know what day it is....and he said that he would pass this onto mum's GP. I explained that I was going on a 3 week holiday in September and was concerned that there was no one to look after mum. The GP said that there was nothing that they could do unless mum agrees to it.

I took mum to the surgery today. No chat with the dr just a blood test with the practice nurse, I was very disappointed, to say the least.

I have been in contact with social care in the past but they say that they need a diagnosis. They have offered to visit mum but I know mum will turn on me again accusing me of 'going behind her back'. She has an innate fear of hospitals and doctors (but will go for the odd non invasive test) and doesn't like strangers coming to her house. However, she did allow a complete stranger to turn up one day to clean the gutters which was very surprising. Mum sleeps a lot during the day and leaves the back door unlocked.

Mum is very frail and I am sure she is not eating properly. If only she would agree to get a diagnosis then she could risk assessed for her own safety and if I am wrong about mum then I would be pleased. At the moment, I actively hate her for what she is doing to me, she has no idea how much I trying to not to shout at her. Today, I took her back home from the surgery and for the 100th time, she stood at her front door struggling with the key. I stand watch her do this for about five minutes and then she asks me to open the door which I do easily. I tell her to use the back door because it is easier but she refuses.

It just seems that me and my brother (to some degree) are running around just to save mum's feelings but at what cost?

I have gone on, sorry, I am just so fed up, this has been going on for a year and nothing gets done and mum is deterioting and my brother will not stand up to her alongside and I can't do this on my own because mum is next door and I see her most days. If I could move away I would.

Why do I feel like this? I just want to be free of this burden.

Princess t

Mar 15, 2016
You are not alone.

Hello everyone

I have been away from this helpful site for a while because things had ground to halt with my mother.

Now I am asking for some further advice please.

Just to recap my mother is 90 and lives on her own next door to me. My brother and I have an LPA in place, although mum will not allow us to use it to help her.

Mum is showing all of the signs of early dementia -forgetful, vague, lack of concentration....

I have been in contact with mum's GP (without mum's knowledge) over the past year and we got as far as a referral to the local memory clinic but I had to tell the doctor to cancel the referral because it was ruining the relationship with my mum. She had worked out (I don't know how) that I had been in contact with her doctor and was being very aggressive with me and saying extremely hurtful things.

During this time mum was still driving and I contacted the DVLA because I was worried about her and her licence has been cancelled. Mum worked out that I had contacted the DVLA (I don't know how) although I consistently denied it and she grew very stroppy with me. She even contacted my brother (who lives 50 miles away) and got him on her side. At Christmas she embarrassed me dreadfully in front of my grown up children by accusing me of telling the DVLA about her.

Mum is extremely suspicious and can be very hostile and aggressive. However, she can be very sweet and lovely if she is left alone to do 'her own thing' or has her own way.

Mum's attitude towards me is ruining any feelings that I have towards her. We are not as close as we used to be and provided that I am at her beck and call everything is okay.

My brother visits every few months and deals with the admin work but he is not much use at the emotional side of things or the day to day stuff that I have to do for mum. I have tried to talk to my brother about how mum is becoming a problem but he just tells me to say no to mum if she asks for something to be done. She has told both of us, in no uncertain terms, that she wants to be left alone and that she can manage okay. However, if anything goes wrong or she needs something she will always ask me. Often, I don't mind but she really, really cannot cope but I do get fed up sometimes because she does take me for granted.

I take her shopping every week and she insists on pushing the trolley but she leaves it in the middle of the main gangway in people's way. She does not know where she is going and I have to guide her, it would be so much easier if she left me to do it but no, she want her own way and deteminedly pushes the trolley! She keeps forgetting her pin number of her card at the till and I have to remind her every time. I have to help her get cash out of the machine because she cannot do it, I have to help her write cheques because she can't remember the date,day or year. She walks out in front of cars without even looking and I have to keep an eye on her all of the time. If I didn't do these things mum would have no money or food. I give her lifts to her friends but get's annoyed with me if I dare speak to her friends who call me to confirm that I have the right times/dates because mum forgets. She accuses me of 'going behind her back''. I can't call my brother to help me with the finances whilst I am with mum because she doesn't like me discussing her with him. We just correspond by email and don't tell her.

In desparation, I asked my brother (who handles mum's affairs - as much as she will let him) if he would organise a gardener/cleaner (I thought this would provide her with some company too). Apparently, she refused the cleaner and would not allow my brother access to her accounts with a cheque book so that we can pay for a gardener and her daily papers. My brother has organised a gardener to which she agreed to but this meant that I had to take mum to a cash machine to use her card (because she can't do it now) to get some cash out so that she can pay the gardener when he turns up. He did turn up as planned but mum forgot and went to town (how she does this amazes me because she is a danger outside her home) and the gardener turned up, did a bit of work and went.

My brother has tried to get mum to 'let go' but she will not and he supports her wish for independence, even though he agrees that she is vulnerable. He says that there is nothing we can do until a crisis occurs. It is easy to say when it is not on your doorstep.

I don't know whether it's a personality clash but she just gets on my nerves so much because she will not admit she has a problem. I am getting more and more angry and resentful because everything seems to fall on my shoulders and I find it hard to say no to a frail 90 year old woman. She can be very rude and hurtful.

Mum has done some strange things. She has glaucoma and has to take drops for it. I have the job of making sure that she gets the drops from the chemist delivered and I have taken her to hospital to see the consultant a couple of times. The last time we went in February mum had cancelled the appointment due illness but had forgot to tell me. All this make me even more angry and upset with her.

Mum's GP has been in contact with her telling her that she has missed 3 GP appointments and is running the risk of being taken off their lists. She has taken a dislike to the lovely GP who was going to do the memory clinic referral and has told me that she has changed doctors. The name of the new doctor is not at the surgery she goes to. My brother has organised another appointment for mum to have a blood test but we don't know what this is for and mum does not know.

After an horrendous sunday when I took mum to the cash machine to change her pin number (again) to get some cash out for her. I took her shopping which was very stressful because she doesn't know what she needs half the time and me having to remind her with her pin number and then having to watch her charge off with the trolley back into the store and me having to chase after her. I rescued her and then had to watch mum trying to bash a smaller trolley into a lager trolley! We got back to her home and we discovered she had locked herself out bye leaving the spare front door key in the inside lock. I then run home to find a locksmith to get mum in her home and then go back and find mum had a spare back door key on her keyring but didn't realise.

I made an appointment with another GP because I cannot keep my temper any more. I know I should be patient but mum is very trying. I explained what the problem was in advance of mum seeing the GP today for a chat and a blood test. I told the GP my concerns i.e. mum is losing weight, she is forgetful, she walks out in front of traffic without looking, she wanders off, she doesn't wear the right clothes, she doesn't know what day it is....and he said that he would pass this onto mum's GP. I explained that I was going on a 3 week holiday in September and was concerned that there was no one to look after mum. The GP said that there was nothing that they could do unless mum agrees to it.

I took mum to the surgery today. No chat with the dr just a blood test with the practice nurse, I was very disappointed, to say the least.

I have been in contact with social care in the past but they say that they need a diagnosis. They have offered to visit mum but I know mum will turn on me again accusing me of 'going behind her back'. She has an innate fear of hospitals and doctors (but will go for the odd non invasive test) and doesn't like strangers coming to her house. However, she did allow a complete stranger to turn up one day to clean the gutters which was very surprising. Mum sleeps a lot during the day and leaves the back door unlocked.

Mum is very frail and I am sure she is not eating properly. If only she would agree to get a diagnosis then she could risk assessed for her own safety and if I am wrong about mum then I would be pleased. At the moment, I actively hate her for what she is doing to me, she has no idea how much I trying to not to shout at her. Today, I took her back home from the surgery and for the 100th time, she stood at her front door struggling with the key. I stand watch her do this for about five minutes and then she asks me to open the door which I do easily. I tell her to use the back door because it is easier but she refuses.

It just seems that me and my brother (to some degree) are running around just to save mum's feelings but at what cost?

I have gone on, sorry, I am just so fed up, this has been going on for a year and nothing gets done and mum is deterioting and my brother will not stand up to her alongside and I can't do this on my own because mum is next door and I see her most days. If I could move away I would.

Why do I feel like this? I just want to be free of this burden.

Your life sounds very much like mine. Last year I though I would have a breakdown, my sisters did nothing my mom wouldn't admit there was a problem and I did pretty much everything you are doing, so I simpathise with you. This year for me it's better even though my mom is worse, she has carers, my elder sister is helping a bit. And mom refuses now to go shopping with me. Which is a massive relief. My mom is 92. And does very little now, just sits at home staring most of the time at the fireplace.. She has no friends and doesn't want to go out. Very sad.........

brambles

Sep 22, 2014
NW England
Hi Mrs Christmas,

I guess you feel like this because you are emotionally exhausted, looking after your mum.

Although my own situation is not as difficult as yours, I can relate to a lot of your problems. My mum is 91 and almost blind, she has AD and is quite frail, yet will not accept help when she needs it.

A lot if the little irritations,( like insisting she makes a cup of tea, taking half an hour to produce a weak, milky, lukewarm, stewed cup about a third full) I can cope with, but I don't live that near and don't see her every day. Others, that put her in danger, like trying to carry washing down steep stone steps to the garden (when I offer repeatedly to do her washing) cause me a lot of worry and frustation.

She has a home help for an hour a week( took me nearly a year to get her to agree to that) and although she likes her she will not agree to increasing her hours, or allowing me to help more. " I'll see" or I'll think about it" are her favourite phrases.

I have read lots of threads giving good tips to encourage people to accept help, but none of them seem to work with my mum.

It sounds to me like you need a break, but difficult when you live next door.

I also don't think you need a diagnosis to get help from social services, but, I guess she will need to agree to a visit before they can assess her needs.

Please don't beat yourself up about your feelings towards your mum......it is a very difficult situation and you are doing your best.

Sending you a (((((hug))))

brambles x

Vera's den

Feb 3, 2016
Lancashire
Hi Mrschristmas, you mum sounds very much like my father in law. You should be able to have her assessed by the Adult social care team from your local council. In Lancashire where I am this is the Rapid response and Intervention team (RITT team). For FIL he was assessed within 5 days of referral from doctor although I am told anyone can ring them if concerned. He was assessed as needing an urgent diagnosis and saw a doctor from the mental health team within a few weeks. he hasn't yet forgiven me for "lying" to the doctor he insists there is no problem but his support worker from the RITT team is now a friend.
You must do what you think is right. I have battled for months to get him to accept carers in to make meals he nearly burnt the kitchen down. I insisted on doing the shopping alone because it caused so much hassle in the supermarket. My husband now does his finances we both have poa.
He tells me he hates me regularly but my mantra now is, I'll do what I think is right and take the consequences later.
Good luck to you in your struggle you mother needs you to do what's right as she probably did for you as a child.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I just want to be free of this burden.

I want you to think about this statement for a minute.....no I am not criticising you in any way, shape or form.....

I carried this same burden for about 10 years only getting partial respite for the last three years when Mum was in a Care Home. I still did her personal shopping, medical appointments, financial affairs and the visiting too.

Now look at what I wrote. Do you think you can carry this load for ten years or five or even one more year? It was well over 4 years before my OH and I got even a weekend away. I had to sell my caravan because I paid for site fees and never saw it. I could not spend time with my granddaughter who lives away, I had to rely on my son bringing her to visit us. There was no spontenaity in our lives. If I was ill...tough. get up and get on with it.

You need a long hard look at what you can and are willing to do for Mum and decide where the buck stops.... and then stop it.

Only you can change things.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I can't help but agree with Cragmaid.

By stepping in to sort everything out, you are enabling her to 'cope'. The usual advice in such situations is to step back a bit and become less hands-on. Actually, your brother is right - more often than not it takes a crisis to occur before changes can be made.

Perhaps start by sorting out her 'needs' from her 'wants'. She needs food, but she wants to go with you. But if it is causing you undue stress, then insist you will do her shopping on your own. Carers' feelings matter too and are all too often ignored.

Then (if you can face it) maybe take her round a garden centre or something as a outing without the stress of having to make decisions or purchases.

MrsChristmas

Jun 1, 2015
Hi Mrschristmas, you mum sounds very much like my father in law. You should be able to have her assessed by the Adult social care team from your local council. In Lancashire where I am this is the Rapid response and Intervention team (RITT team). For FIL he was assessed within 5 days of referral from doctor although I am told anyone can ring them if concerned. He was assessed as needing an urgent diagnosis and saw a doctor from the mental health team within a few weeks. he hasn't yet forgiven me for "lying" to the doctor he insists there is no problem but his support worker from the RITT team is now a friend.
You must do what you think is right. I have battled for months to get him to accept carers in to make meals he nearly burnt the kitchen down. I insisted on doing the shopping alone because it caused so much hassle in the supermarket. My husband now does his finances we both have poa.
He tells me he hates me regularly but my mantra now is, I'll do what I think is right and take the consequences later.
Good luck to you in your struggle you mother needs you to do what's right as she probably did for you as a child.

Hello Vera

Thank you for your advice and I have taken it on board. I just wish I could be stronger and contact social care to get her assessed but I know mum will not let them in and will turn on me later. It is very difficult because lives next door and is a very close neighbour. Sometimes mum is okay and can cope in her own home but it is when she is out of that environment that things go to pieces. I just want a quiet life with no hassle. Trouble is, mum knows exactly which guilt buttons to press that's why I dislike her but love her too. I have had some other good advice from 'Chemmy' and 'Craigmaid' which has given me much food for thought. Trouble is I just don't what is right any more. Thank you once again for your kindness and support at a very low point xxx

MrsChristmas

Jun 1, 2015
You are so right...

I want you to think about this statement for a minute.....no I am not criticising you in any way, shape or form.....

I carried this same burden for about 10 years only getting partial respite for the last three years when Mum was in a Care Home. I still did her personal shopping, medical appointments, financial affairs and the visiting too.

Now look at what I wrote. Do you think you can carry this load for ten years or five or even one more year? It was well over 4 years before my OH and I got even a weekend away. I had to sell my caravan because I paid for site fees and never saw it. I could not spend time with my granddaughter who lives away, I had to rely on my son bringing her to visit us. There was no spontenaity in our lives. If I was ill...tough. get up and get on with it.

You need a long hard look at what you can and are willing to do for Mum and decide where the buck stops.... and then stop it.

Only you can change things.

Hello CraigMaid

Thank you for your advice and support at a very low point, it has been invaluable and has given me a lot of food for thought. I wish I knew why I am driven to help mum, particularly as she takes me for granted and can be quite nasty. She is very reluctant to ask my brother for help but just sees me as a resource to be used. I really don't know if mum has alz because she has not been diagnosed or is it just old age? She does cope quite well on her own but does have really bad days when she seems all at sea, particularly when she's had a bad night's sleep. The bald fact is that I find it very difficult to help mum because she irritates me all of the time because I feel responsible for her welfare. I don't think things will change until she is either diagnosed with dementia or there is a crisis. At the moment she potters about her bungalow not seeing anyone for days at a time, unless I visit her. She is very frail and wieghs about 6 stone, I am not sure what she eats. I think she can just about look after herself but everything else has to be done for her like paying bills, sorting out finances, getting her shopping, organising repairs/gardening, replacing broken items, giving her lifts, taking her for outings,...the list goes on..is that coping on her own? I don't know. Where do I draw the line? Chemmy has advised just catering to her needs which I think is good advice. How do I say no to everything else? It is very difficult. This is why I want her diagnosed so that there is no 'elephant in the room' and we can organise some paid help (she has the money). I am reluctant to go to social care because I don't think it is serious enough YET but she cannot look after her home now. Anyway, I have rambled on. My brother and I have tried to talking to her but she says that it is old age and that she is okay and that she will know when the time is right to get help. She knows that she shouldn't ask me all of the time but that is not the point. Please can I ask you how I tell mum that I cannot do these things for her any more without hurting her feelings? She is very sensitive and flies off the handle and sometimes leaves in a huff. This is very difficult for me because she lives next door and I really don't want to fall out with my neighbour!
Thanks again for your kindness and support..

Mrs C

MrsChristmas

Jun 1, 2015
Thank you for your invaluable advice

I can't help but agree with Cragmaid.

By stepping in to sort everything out, you are enabling her to 'cope'. The usual advice in such situations is to step back a bit and become less hands-on. Actually, your brother is right - more often than not it takes a crisis to occur before changes can be made.

Perhaps start by sorting out her 'needs' from her 'wants'. She needs food, but she wants to go with you. But if it is causing you undue stress, then insist you will do her shopping on your own. Carers' feelings matter too and are all too often ignored.

Then (if you can face it) maybe take her round a garden centre or something as a outing without the stress of having to make decisions or purchases.

Hello Chemmy

Thank you for your advice it certainly put things in perspective and I have spent much time thinking about all the advice that I have been given. Please can I ask you how do I step back from things? How do I say 'no' when she wants help? She just makes me feel so guilty and that is why I resent her. When I go out of my front door I see the curtains closed at 11 in the morning and I wonder if she is okay. It's like its there in my face all of the time and I can't escape. Sometimes, she will wander past my house to go shopping and she looks so frail and doddery and I feel terrible. If I don't see her a couple of times a week she'll call and ask if she has upset me or she'll say 'I am so sorry to bother you but could you...." I am decorating my house at the moment and mum will ask if I am selling my house and leaving her which makes me feel even more trapped. I just wish that mum had more friends to visit her and help her or my brother lived nearer but she is all alone and just has me. Mum is coping just, provided her bungalow is run by me and my brother, her shopping is got, her finances sorted out, her repairs and replacements are done and she is taken everywhere. Pleas can I ask you how do I say no? Sometimes, at really bad times, I wish that she did have a crisis so that the problem is brought to a head and she gets the help that she badly needs. Her bungalow is not really safe, there are slippery carpets everywhere and mum is very unsteady on her feet, she has glaucoma, arthritis and poor hearing. She worries about the steps outside to her garden. She can't work the locks on her doors, she can't the energy up to sort out a gardener. All mum does all day is the crossword, get a meal, watch tv and sleep everything else is left to me and my brother to sort out. She thinks she is okay and relatively independent but she is not and my brother will not stand by my side and tell her in no uncertain terms that if she wants to stay where she is then she has to accept outside help. That is my frustration with this that it is falling on my shoulders and no else's and I just don't know how to say no to her mum without hurting her feelings. What should I do?

Thank you for your help and advice at a very difficult time.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
I think my tack would be to adopt a friendly but assertive matron/headmistress persona, but only you will have any idea if that would work.

Do you give her choices atm? Because I would limit them as much as possible. 'This is what we're going to do...' , if that makes sense, not giving her the opportunity to contradict you.

Re. The shopping. Maybe make a list of essentials, say 'I'm calling into the supermarket on the way back from X/Y/Z. I'll get you these - if there's anything else, let me know.' That way, you've already given her the reason (it doesn't have to be true) why she can't come with you.

Thus you are supplying her needs in terms of food and she can add the wants if she gets round to it. If you chuck in couple of treats for her, that might distract her when you get it home. Just think about how you would get paid though - a matter-of-fact 'you owe me...' is better than messing about, angling tactfully for the money.

Your situation reminds me of my daughter, moaning about the shorts my granddaughter (aged two) was wearing. 'Why didn't you just say no, not those today?' I asked. 'She chose them' was the reply. Then don't give her a choice if you're not prepared to accept the outcomes. Instead say You can wear A or B today. Granddaughter thinks she is choosing, but daughter is actually in control.

Same with food. Don't ask granddaughter what she wants for tea and then moan because she's opted for a peanut butter sandwich..again. If she 'needs to eat fruit', give her the choice of a pear or a banana.

You are the one in control. Be calm but assertive. Like our favourite teachers use to be;)

But please feel free to ignore all this if you don't think it'll work. :)

Re things like gardening. You have to toughen up and learn to say no, (politely,) but serve up the alternative option on a plate. Make the enquiries required to get a gardener, say 'I can't but X can' which lets her down gently. Just tell yourself that by making a stand you are acting in her (and your) best interests. You are not the subservient daughter anymore. You both are adults, with equal status.

Last edited: