Help with dressing

LouiseB55

Jun 1, 2016
Mum was always immaculately turned out but now wears the same clothes day after day. Suggesting she changes is met with the response "but it was fresh on today!". We are at the early stage of diagnosis and she still thinks her memory is fine. Any tips on how to deal with this diplomatically? (Ps she wouldn't be keen on me going through her wardrobe). Thanks.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
My answers to my late Mum ranged from " No Mum you have worn that for 10 days now" to "I know, but you have a grubby mark on it", and " We are going to town Mum, Let's get you changed" putting the used clothes into the washing basket and getting her clean clothes out for town and for her return ( Mum always changed back into house clothes). Hanging a full change of clothes on the outside of the wardrobe door with a label " clean clothes for Monday" sometimes worked and sometimes they ended up back in the wardrobe......and then you could always try "Grief Mother.....that top must be a bit niffy now, lets get a clean one on now".
Give it a try.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
Mum was always immaculately turned out but now wears the same clothes day after day. Suggesting she changes is met with the response "but it was fresh on today!". We are at the early stage of diagnosis and she still thinks her memory is fine. Any tips on how to deal with this diplomatically? (Ps she wouldn't be keen on me going through her wardrobe). Thanks.

It's one of the most striking changes, and happened at the forefront of my husband's illness. If I let him, he would never change his clothes. He'd also never wash or have a bath. The only way I could get him to change was when I insisted on his jumper looking a right mess and he needed to change it. With that, I used to stand over him with a whole fresh wardrobe so everything was clean again. When I met him, he was always immaculately turned out in suit and tie. I miss those days.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi LouiseB55
good ideas from cragmaid
I saw dad at the end of the day and helped him into his pjs, so that day's clothes went straight into the laundry basket (so he couldn't see them) and I left out clean for the morning
your mum may not be happy about you going into her wardrobe, however it needs to be done, just don't let her see you doing it? or together make a fuss over some other outfit, how much it suits her, how she looks so good in it, might as well wear it out to get your money's worth from it ... what ever will motivate her
maybe she would be happier apparently wearing the same familiar things, so buy a few sets of the same top etc so she thinks she is wearing the same clothes but you are swapping them over regularly?
maybe not worry about wearing something for a couple of days, so you don't seem to be nagging - 10 days is too long, though, I agree
sometimes there is just too much choice involved - so maybe try weeding out her wardrobe eg time to give some bits to a favourite charity, might she enjoy a day deciding what's to go and chatting over old times when some outfits were worn? - this will leave a smaller selection - and maybe pack away winter woolies so they aren't in the mix - the old way used to be: 1 on, 1 in the wash and 1 in the wardrobe

best wishes to you both

Pear trees

Jan 25, 2015
I used to 'spill' tea (cold!) down her jumper and trousers so she had to change, and used washwipes to mop up the 'spill' so she got a quick wash as well.
I have also bought jumpers and trousers in the same style and almost identical colours.
My mum was always a bit slapdash about personal hygiene before dementia, she used to go swimming every morning and have a quick shower there instead of having one at home as she then did not have to clean the bathroom. The smell of chlorine was still better than body odour.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nana210