Help with Continuous Health Care

HunnyBee

Jul 19, 2022
Hi everyone, I am new here and read through some of the threads - recognise a lot re invisibles, plus the feelings that go with caring for someone with dementia, especially grief at losing someone while they are still in front of you. I live for the rare occasions she smiles and tells me she loves me, then I know she is still there, just hidden.

My mum had a few problems that made us realise she was going down the dementia road - I would get phone calls in the early hours of the morning when she had no idea what the time was, plus difficulty in always getting words right etc. It progressed slowly, nothing to worry about, and I took to calling her several times a day just to help her understand - time for breakfast, lunch, talking about what to have for dinner, and then to say goodnight. Dementia clock was a life saver as it definitely cut the disturbed nights. Then about 3 years ago she had a small fall, no damage but when she went into hospital to be checked she was having hallucinations, had no understanding of where she was and would get so distressed they would call me or my brother to talk to her to calm her down. After a lot of tests, they diagnosed her with Lewy Body Dementia and sent her home on the understanding she would have carers twice a day. Over the next few years, she slowly deteriorated until she couldn't cook for herself, would not recognise she was home (brought back in the middle of the night a few times when she was found wandering), losing or hiding things. But it became more and more apparent she was no longer safe at home and we found a care home for her earlier this year after an incident which involved a lot of poo and a lot of rooms and absolutely no memory or understanding of what had happened. She has since gone downhill so fast that in a matter of weeks she became more or less bedbound, is doubly incontinent and is withdrawn into herself so much that she does not seem to recognise me properly anymore, although I can still help to calm her when she is upset. I have never been advised, but I am guessing she is in the middle stages of dementia, possibly moving into the later stages.

We applied for Continuous Health Care funding, as the Home said she needed one-to-one care which was so expensive we could not have afforded it; plus mum does appear to qualify - she was assessed as severe in one category and then had several moderate needs in others. She has little or no understanding of her surroundings, cannot ask for help or explain what she needs, has to be coaxed to feed and take her medications - she has actually lost weight since going in and she was a sparrow to start with. The nurse from the home was of little use, as I had to correct several of his statements during the meeting - such as mum didn't need any pain medication, and there were no prescribed meds for her skin despite his having assessed it as at risk of breakdown!

Unfortunately she has been turned down. I have the right to appeal, but I have not been given a copy of the decision tool to show why they turned her down so I am not sure how I can build a case for appeal. Is there a reason why they don't share this document?

I feel totally at sea, and there doesn't seem to be much help around. There is a lot I am too stressed to share but I can see you have all been there so I am sure you will understand - I just feel I need pointing in the right direction, with a helping of "it's going to be ok" to give me the energy to throw myself back into the fray :( I am my mothers daughter - a fighter at heart, but I just feel that nothing I try is making a difference and every avenue is being closed off. Sorry this is so long - I think I am feeling very sorry for myself tonight...

Thanks all
HunnyBee

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Can you identify anything that she needs qualified nursing care fo, as opposed to Carer care?

My mother ws turned down until she was identified as having an inoperable heart condition.

She had Lewy bodis, insulin dependant diabetic, double incontinent and registered blind- and didnt qualify

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
3 A copy of the completed DST (including the recommendation) should be forwarded to the individual (or, where appropriate, their representative) together with the final decision made by the ICB, along with the reasons for this decision. If someone is acting as the individual's representative, they are entitled to receive a copy of the DST provided that the correct basis for sharing such information has been established. This basis could be any one of the following
P 12

Does anybody have H&W LPA or written consent to share information?

HunnyBee

Jul 19, 2022
3 A copy of the completed DST (including the recommendation) should be forwarded to the individual (or, where appropriate, their representative) together with the final decision made by the ICB, along with the reasons for this decision. If someone is acting as the individual's representative, they are entitled to receive a copy of the DST provided that the correct basis for sharing such information has been established. This basis could be any one of the following
P 12

Does anybody have H&W LPA or written consent to share information?
Thank you Nitram - the email they sent said "letter only" against her name, and the hard copy only had the covering letter, so I assumed it was restricted access. I am going to write to ask for the copy - I have H&W LPA so that should be the correct basis for sharing, if I understand that bit right! Plus I was in the online meeting as her representative.

HunnyBee

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @HunnyBee
A warm! welcome to DTP

I wonder whether something here might help ... definitely worth getting in contact with the volunteers

HunnyBee

Jul 19, 2022
Can you identify anything that she needs qualified nursing care fo, as opposed to Carer care?

My mother ws turned down until she was identified as having an inoperable heart condition.

She had Lewy bodis, insulin dependant diabetic, double incontinent and registered blind- and didnt qualify
Hello Jessbow

She has complicated health conditions, managed by medications - but until she went in the home, I was saying she was in the best health she has been in for years (result of updating her meds). She has angina, vertigo, osteo-arthritis of the spine (constant pain), high blood pressure, doubly incontinent, high risk of falls and has osteoporosis, cataracts - one treated but not successful, the other they won't treat as her pain levels mean she cannot lie still, and has hearing problems. With her dementia, she won't wear her glasses (as they aren't hers! but also due to severe difference in the two eyes, they aren't very successful) or her hearing aids (again, not hers and she doesn't need them although she has had to use them for decades!), and that increases her risk of falls. The LB means she has visions, and these make her paranoid - as I guess you will know, the meds for this are really important, miss one and it takes a week to get her back on track. She has diverticulitis and this causes severe bloating, which can then bring on periods of breathlessness and can bring on panic attacks. Arrhythmia (pardon the spelling). She tears at her skin, as she doesn't understand the dangers and cannot keep any wounds clean. Again from dementia, she can't really cope with cleaning herself after the toilet, and even now she is in nappies she doesn't realise she should keep her hands away - she gets distressed, gets hands dirty... and then we have another UTI.

But from what your mothers experience is, this will all be seen as personal care rather than nursing care. There is no way she can live on her own, even with carers, and her mental health has deteriorated so far in the last year, that it feels like she is locked away from the world, and you can rarely reach her.

I am glad your mother qualified at last.
I will keep fighting for mine, and I am also going to try to bring her to a home nearer to me - it will mean I can visit her more often, which may be helpful for her. It will mean moving her away from a number of siblings, but as I can count the times they have visited in the last 3-4 months on the fingers of a single hand I am trying not to feel guilty about that.

HunnyBee

HunnyBee

Jul 19, 2022
Yes H&W LPA allows you to see documentation, don't let them have original.
That is perfect! I have got lots of copies of the LPAs (H&W and Finance) - and have needed them over the last few months, so I am glad I haven't relinquished the original.
HunnyBee