Help please

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Hello

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas of why my husband constantly fiddles with his hands. In particular he circles his thumbs round and round or holds his hands together and rubs his thumbs. He has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's but not completely sure of his condition yet.

Thanks

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Reds, I wish I could help! My husband does a lot of that as well. He also has restless leg syndrome which is driving me mad!

Sorry - not a lot of help! Just a note to say I can understand how you feel. x

turmoil

Feb 3, 2013
West Yorkshire
Hi Reds

Could it be down to your husband being anxious, I just remember my Granddad doing the same thing when he was diagnosed, and if I am honest I wring/rub my hands together when I am feeling really stressed without knowing.

Just a thought:)

Turmoil

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
Hi Reds. My mam does this but to my dad's hands and fingers. She is fascinated with them. She doesn't seem to know what they are, she puzzles over them. She also has no idea that she can hurt them, so she pulls and squeezes them, and actually tries to break them. Sorry, I have no answers, but much sympathy.

Reds

Sep 5, 2011
Hertfordshire
Thanks

Ah thank you.

I think it could be anxiety or something. I pointed it out a couple of times but he kind of seems happy/content. I could understand it more if it was occasional but it is all the time. I wonder if its related to work he has done but I don't think that's probably the case. He doesn't seem to have any pain and I hope he feels comfortable.

Varandas

Sep 2, 2013
Hampshire England
Hi Reds

I agree that it maybe is a sign of anxiety/apprehension.
Sorry I have no other words of wisdom, but wanted to say how worrying this can be and that I too understand your concern.