Help for my parents

wales lady

May 4, 2019
Dear All. I am looking for some help and support for my parents who live in Wales. My mother has alzheimers and my father is trying to look after her all by himself. Their doctor and social services are not providing any help so far. Can anyone suggest where we can get some help please? I think what would help the most would be a place that my father can leave my mother for a few hours, say once a week, where she would be looked after by people used to looking after folk with dementia, providing activities, such as singing, games etc. My mother would get stimulation and my dad some respite. Can anyone help please? They live in North Wales. Many thanks

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @wales lady and welcome to the forum

I wonder if your father may find any local support services like a memory café to be of some use as he could talk to other carers in his area there. The local AS office may also be able to give some information. You can do a post code check to see what's available to you by following this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

The full list of the very informative Factsheets can be found with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

BluTinks

Dec 7, 2018
Try Carer’s trust Services North Wales Tel: 01492 542212 . They offer companion & organised events for carer’s & people with dementia, so far they have been the only help I have found in North Wales for my mother unfortunately my mum refused to go . I got no help from the memory clinic with mum.Also Newcis Carer’s Centre they help organise assessments tel:01745 331181

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am surprised that SS didnt suggest day care.
Is it possible that they suggested it and your mum refused?
My mum totally refused anything offered as she said that she did everything herself and didnt need any help at all :rolleyes:

wales lady

May 4, 2019
Try Carer’s trust Services North Wales Tel: 01492 542212 . They offer companion & organised events for carer’s & people with dementia, so far they have been the only help I have found in North Wales for my mother unfortunately my mum refused to go . I got no help from the memory clinic with mum.Also Newcis Carer’s Centre they help organise assessments tel:01745 331181
Thank you so much for replying. It is soothing to know there are other people out there going through what we are going through.