Hello

Helpneeded

Jul 12, 2024
Hello, I am new to this forum. I think my mum has some form of dementia in that she is having dillusions/false beliefs which were first direct towards neighbours who she accused of banging on her door late at night. She was very rude to them and I had no option but to move her from her retirement home to come and live with me (I am single). It was ok at first and she seemed to want to come and live with me. However her dillusions have turned towards me as she is accusing me of taking money from her bedroom and other things. She has become very aggressive and angry towards me. Today she is just sitting in her bedroom and won’t come downstairs. She hasn’t eaten anything and doesn’t want me to help her. She is insistent she wants to go back to living on her own back st the flat but I k is she won’t be able to cope. She won’t go to the doctor and says I am trying to put her in a mental home and if I try to take her she will leave. I did go and see her doctor on my own without her knowledge and they have just said I need to try to bring her in to do a dementia test. I am worried my Mum will find out I went to see the doctor even though I have asked them not to and she will then get angry at me and not trust me going forward. Would welcome any advice from anyone on what to do as I am finding it really difficult and stressful.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Helpneeded and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. It sounds like a very difficult situation for you, particularly as your mother is being agressive and angry towards you. Please consider your own safety and don't hesitate to dial 999 is you feel at risk of harm, they will have experience in dealing with these situations. You did the right thing by contacting your mum's GP - would they be able to ask her in for an appointment for something like a general check-up, well woman check etc? I'd suggest giving the Dementia Support Line a call as they are very helpful and will be able to offer a way forward for you. Details are in the link below, and they are open from 10am to 4pm during the weekend. Keep posting here too as people understand and are supportive and happy to offer support and advice when they can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cp1