Hello

Bubble1981

My name is Jenny . I looked after my partner's mum for 2 years now and I thought after my career in care over 20 years would help me so much. I was kind of right. Other times I'm at a loss but every day I learn new things. My job I would say do a breakfast call then leave and do calls all day but I had days off. Had my manager as back up and other colleagues for advice. Now for a medical professional to say I'm going a good job give me stress relief I need. Being a carer 24/7 is so more complex and wares you down. I have support but I'm the only female in the family and I know what to do. I love T but some days I think why did I say yes to this xx

Kevinl

Hello and welcome Bubble. Thank goodness as a professional carer you know what you're doing and as you say 24/7 caring is hard.
I did some of it for my mum and all of it for my (now late) wife.
It's one thing changing your wife's pads I'm only grateful it never came to that with my mum.
"The only female in the family" I find shocking, intimate care aside men can help too even if it's just the shopping, taking to appointments or whatever, don't give us such an easy ride.
OK and as a former nurse myself wiping my wife's bottom was one thing, doing it for mum even though she did it for me is different, luckily she remained continent so it wasn't an issue.

Bubble1981

I should have typed more. You are correct. The men in our lives do help in other ways. I'm the everything else. I think I was ranting and raving but forgot about them.

Bubble1981

Hello and welcome Bubble. Thank goodness as a professional carer you know what you're doing and as you say 24/7 caring is hard.
I did some of it for my mum and all of it for my (now late) wife.
It's one thing changing your wife's pads I'm only grateful it never came to that with my mum.
"The only female in the family" I find shocking, intimate care aside men can help too even if it's just the shopping, taking to appointments or whatever, don't give us such an easy ride.
OK and as a former nurse myself wiping my wife's bottom was one thing, doing it for mum even though she did it for me is different, luckily she remained continent so it wasn't an issue.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Hi and welcome to the Forum @Bubble1981

This is a great place to learn from the experience of others, join in conversations, share with people who truly understand, let off steam and much more besides.

Bubble1981

Can I ask when u looked after your late wife did you feel pressure from your family because they thought you knew all the answers ? Sorry for your loss. I love my partner's mum very much but feel I've got to be on point otherwise I will let them down and it their loved ones life in my hands. They tell me not to worry and that I'm doing great but it worries me so much.