Hello

Dinah2

Jan 9, 2024
My husband was diagnosed with dementia in December and we are waiting for CT scan. This site was recommended by a friend and I'm sure I'll find it useful as we go on this journey.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Dinah2

I`m sorry your husband has a diagnosis but really pleased this forum was recommended to you.

My husband was diagnosed in 2005 and I found this community in 2006 and it helped me in more ways than I can say.

I hope you will be able to say the same.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Dinah2 and welcome to this friendly and supportive forum from me also. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here, and members really do want to help.
I am sorry to read about your husband's recent diagnosis.
I found this forum when I was at a very low ebb, when my dear Mum was on end of life care and the support and understanding I received was just brilliant.
So I hope you too will find this forum useful for information, sound advice and suggestions, but also understanding. Many members here will have been through similar experiences, so you will not be alone.

Dinah2

Jan 9, 2024
Welcome @Dinah2

I`m sorry your husband has a diagnosis but really pleased this forum was recommended to you.

My husband was diagnosed in 2005 and I found this community in 2006 and it helped me in more ways than I can say.

I hope you will be able to say the same.
Thank you for your support and encouragement. I am sure that I too will find this site invaluable.

Dinah2

Jan 9, 2024
I am looking for advice re driving. My husband has just been diagnosed with mild/moderate dementia.
His assessment re driving states "Ray and his wife say that Ray drives safely. Any concerns the DVLA need to be contacted."
At what stage do I need to contact DVLA? The DVLA website says that there is a need to advise re dementia.. so he does have a diagnosis now so do we need to advise now?
Also how do we stand re insurance? Do we need to advise his insurance company?
Any advice would be appreciated.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I am looking for advice re driving. My husband has just been diagnosed with mild/moderate dementia.
His assessment re driving states "Ray and his wife say that Ray drives safely. Any concerns the DVLA need to be contacted."
At what stage do I need to contact DVLA? The DVLA website says that there is a need to advise re dementia.. so he does have a diagnosis now so do we need to advise now?
Also how do we stand re insurance? Do we need to advise his insurance company?
Any advice would be appreciated.
yes need to tell the in surance company and DVLA. he may still be able to drive but theyu need to be told.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Dinah2 and welcome from me also. Regarding driving following a diagnosis of dementia you might find the attached information from the Alzheimer's Society useful.