Hello too everyone

SimonJohn1

Sep 20, 2023
Lancashire
I am a Carer for my Mum who has Dementia. She was diagnosed 'way back' in December 2021 and until this Summer we have been fortunate that the symptoms of Dementia seemed very mild.
You mainly noticed it

SimonJohn1

Sep 20, 2023
Lancashire
(( Sorry pressed wrong button ))
Mainly noticed it in conversation but now the decline seems to have increased dramatically as she is no longer aware of her surroundings and unsure if she still recognises me.
I have joined the Forum tonight in a hope of getting support and advice. ....

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @SimonJohn1 and welcome to Talking Point

People with dementia can rely on routine and familiarity to "mask" their symptoms for a long time, but then it gets to a stage where they cant any longer and it all falls out. It sounds like your mum has reached this stage.

I dont know if you have got POA and Attendance Allowance, but if not, this is a priority. After this it is a question of dealing with problems as they arise, because you dont know what problems are going happen next and when they will come, so you unfortunately cannot be proactive.

My best piece of advice, though, is to grab every offer of help (as there isnt much out there) and get in help before you think it is really necessary. Your mum could well benefit from having someone to help with housework now. I use Age UKs Help at Home scheme and have a Home Help a couple of hours a week to help with housework and laundry. They will also keep an eye on things and report any concerns

SimonJohn1

Sep 20, 2023
Lancashire
what you say; really 'rings true'; as me and mum have lived together since my father died about 8 years ago.
For a variety of reasons I have never worked so have been at home with them (( Well forever really))
In the real, real distant past, we would all get up, do a variety of jobs around the place, we have some land with a few outbuildings and met up for meals and in the evening.

That above paragraph probably describes my life since the 'year 2000' (wasn't that a song !!!)

Then in 2016; Dad sadly died and so me and mum adapted slightly and then as you said above we probably unconsciously have been adapting since the Dementia Diagnosis in 2021.

So yes I can definitely see your point where our 'lifestyle' which basically we were in control of could simply adapt with Mum and her decline.

For example we went from Mum doing all the clothes laundry, too me helping her, too her trying to help me, too her not even recognising the concept of 'clean clothes' .....

So thank you for pointing out something that was there in 'plain sight' but needed identifying.