Hello, new member from US

deborahh

Nov 6, 2023
Hi, I cared for my mom with Alzheimer's for 8 years. Now I find my husband (of 48 years) is showing signs of memory problems. We are coping fine so far. But I find that if anything goes wrong with our home, the car, phone, computer etc I lose my bearings. It's as though for me to cope everything else has to be in perfect order. Sigh. Thanks for reading.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @deborahh and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. We are primarily UK-based but are always pleased to welcome members based in other countries. Our members have a wealth of information about many aspects of dementia, which of course recognises no borders. Please feel free to ask questions, join in conversations or let off steam. You'll get plenty of understanding and empathy here, as well as good suggestions.

deborahh

Nov 6, 2023
Hi @deborahh and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. We are primarily UK-based but are always pleased to welcome members based in other countries. Our members have a wealth of information about many aspects of dementia, which of course recognises no borders. Please feel free to ask questions, join in conversations or let off steam. You'll get plenty of understanding and empathy here, as well as good suggestions.
Thank you for the warm welcome and the beautiful quote below it.

Cardinal

Oct 4, 2023
Welcome, like you I’m also from the US. I’m also fairly new to this site. My mom had Alzheimer’s and now my husband (married 50 years) has Alzheimer’s. There is also a message board for caregivers through the US Alzheimer’s Assoc. but I find this site more informative and helpful when dealing with my husband. You might want to check the US message board for advice on dealing with financial issues and getting your husband diagnosed since, things are handled differently in the US. But as @northumbrian_k said dementia knows no borders and this is the best site I’ve found for dealing with day to day living with someone with dementia.

Last edited:

deborahh

Nov 6, 2023
Welcome, like you I’m also from the US. I’m also fairly new to this site. My mom had Alzheimer’s and now my husband (50 years) has Alzheimer’s. There is also a message board for caregivers through the US Alzheimer’s Assoc. but I find this site more informative and helpful when dealing with my husband. You might want to check the US message board for advice on dealing with financial issues and getting your husband diagnosed since, things are handled differently in the US. But as @northumbrian_k said dementia knows no borders and this is the best site I’ve found for dealing with day to day living with someone with dementia.
Thanks so much. It is the emotional drain i'm having a hard time with. I think the financial issues are for now okay. Again. thanks for the reply.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @deborahh and welcome from me also. I am sure that many people on here will recognise the emotional effect that caring for someone with dementia has on our well being. I know that it is difficult for us as caregivers to find time for ourselves but it is vital for our mental health so please find at least some time each day to spend entirely on yourself.
As you have found it can be difficult to cope on top of the caring duties when household things go wrong. Over a number years i have developed a list of people who I can call on when things go wrong, electricians, plumbers, handyman, etc. Also friends or neighbours who are willing to help with minor things. Would you be able to do this? It makes such a difference to my stress levels.