Hello, I support my mum who has dementia.

Jazmine B

Dec 13, 2023
I do not drive and her bus service is not that good. My husband gets involved more than my sibling due to this. Christmas was hard at times. She is like many other sufferers who say they see no-one and have little company. She received lots of presents, often hand delivered (more than us!) yet she has no idea so they are from. Should this be upsetting for me? Just a little intro to what I'm going through.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @Jazmine B

The first thing to say is that you are not alone as everyone here has similar experiences, so you will get support and understanding from forum members.

Dementia is a very tricky beast so try not to let things upset you. As to denial of visits etc; loss of short term memory is a common early symptom and when that part of the brain is damaged things aren't forgotten - they never happened as far as the person is concerned so a prompt etc can't help recollection of something that simply never happened!

An important piece of advice is to learn to 'roll with it'. Things are easier to take if you accept the disease and stop looking for the pre dementia person.

Do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information and advice.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Jazmine B and welcome to this Dementia Support Forum from me also. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia to be found here, so I am glad you have found us.
As @karaokePete has already said, denying that anyone has been to see them, yet alone left any presents etc is very common. Short term memory gone, and as you will be aware, it is a progressive disease, so try to make the most and cherish any special moments that there are. But also don't think that everything you read on here will necessarily happen to your Mum either.
I hope you will find this forum useful for information, and any particular advice if you need it, do just ask, as members here really do want to help. Understanding and empathy you will always find here.