Hello. I have just joined and this is my first post.

Meriel

Apr 11, 2024
My husband, who is 84, was diagnosed with dementia about four months ago. He wasn’t too bad, mainly it was his memory which was affected. His mobility wasn’t good either but I don’t know if that was caused by the dementia or other medical problems, he has had quite a few!
unfortunately he suffered a stroke about four weeks ago which has made his dementia much worse. The stroke doesn’t appear to have caused much paralysis and the doctors have started talking about discharging him. I am quite worried about how I am going to manage if/when he comes home. Although I am in quite good health, I am 81. I am wondering what help we would be able to get. I suppose we are lucky in that we live in a small, one bedroom retirement flat. It’s just the day to day management I am concerned about; toilet, bathing etc. I haven’t spoken to anyone at the hospital yet about this but wondered if I could get any advice on this site.

Jools1402

Jan 13, 2024
Hello and welcome - I am quite new here too.
I'm sorry to hear about your husband's problems. Before he is discharged from hospital he should be assessed by the hospital discharge team which should include occupational therapists, social worker etc. They should make a care plan for his discharge. I suggest you insist on being included in the decision making as, if he comes straight home, you would be his main carer. It may be that he is discharged to a care home initially to get a better assessment of his ongoing needs - this is known as discharge to assess - also known as D2A.
If he is discharged straight home you will need to get on to social services for a care needs assessment and a carers assessment urgently. Even if you are having to fund his care yourselves you are still entitled to an assessment.
To you have POA for health and finance - if not do it urgently.
Do you get attendance allowance? Council tax reduction? - your husband qualifies for both